BJJ in Austin

sha

Geekjitsu Black Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I'll be in Austin for a few days next month, can you guys recommend a good BJJ (or MMA) gym to drop by?

Ther is a Joao Cruz bjj school, lots og good people there, and Joao is a great coach.

Claunch Academy of Jiu Jitsu
XFC Training Center
Sean Cooper
Vandry's
Relson Gracie
Gracie Barra
There are more.

Relson Gracie Austin. Daniel Moraes (5x world champ) is in town. Phil Cardella is the head blackbelt.

I would probably go with Phil Cardella in south austin. Plus if you are working downtown or whatever you are doing in Austin it will be much easier to get to that school.

Depends on where you'll be in Austin. There are many schools. Austin jiu jitsu and Infinite are options as well.

Last edited:
I visit austin regularly and have a friend that trains at 3 gyms in the area. I've visited the relson gracie school, run by phil cardella. My friend trains at the shao lin do kung fu school, their owner don is a purple belt, nice guy. My buddy does lunch classes at bobby rabadis place, and a open mat out toward hutto. The rabadi gym and the kung fu joint are mostly whitebelt training partners, ditto with hutto. Cardellas place is more of a competition gym, lots of tough guys there.

Depending on what you are looking for, if you want to roll with blues and purples, id visit phils. If you just wanna network I can get you info on the other schools. Also the ctc gym has esfia teaching there, he's a brazillian guy, id like to train there sometime, haven't got around to it.

I would go with Relson Gracie Austin. 3 different black belts teach regularly, bunch of MMA guys in there all the time, tons of purples, blues and browns to roll with. I train there regularly but I got injured in competition so I have been taking a break for a few months. PM if you want more info.

Thanks for all the info. The Relson school sounds great, I'll try to drop by.

I know Marcio Feitosa is teaching at the GB in Austin and he is a fantastic instructor.

Relson Gracie. Basically every class is taught by a black belt. There is also a judo black belt, striking classes, lots of MMA pros drop by. Plenty of open mats as well.
Also Austin is one of the greatest U.S. cities IMHO.

Phils school is good. Esfiha is opening a new school you can contact him, ctc closed which was an awesome facility. Vandry can be weird about drop in's. Darrin at infinite bjj is a very cool guy, or come train with us at Gracie barra! If you're town tomorrow there is a free spider guard seminar at 6 pm.

Wow, it seems that there are actually a lot more options than what my google searches turned up. Once again the grappling forum comes through!

I didn't know Marcio Feitosa was in Austin, that's awesome. At which GB location does he teach?

If you're up North come drop by XFC Training Center. We don't freak out over drop-ins.

For now just the north Austin location is open off of 183. The most frequent instructor is Marcelo Ribeiro at that location, though there have been times when there have been 5 black belts on the mats. Marcio teaches there sometimes, and is involved in the three Austin locations, the other two are opening shortly. I definitely agree that he is a fantastic instructor. Fabio "gigante" Villal is opening the cedar park location on November 1st, with Marcelo Souza opening a south location soon as well. All of the instructors have been training at the north location and are great guys. There are a lot of bjj places now in Austin, and each has their own flavor.

Back