1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

BJJ in Afghanistan?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by DutchMafia, Jul 15, 2010.

1. DutchMafia

DutchMafia Orange Belt

This is a bit of an odd question but...

Since we have alot of military in this forum has anyone heard of BJJ training on Afghanistan military bases? Specifically Bagram air base?

2. Mike Wilson Jr.

Mike Wilson Jr. Amateur Fighter

Not actual BJJ.

Ive heard of some MMA type clubs they have. But its pretty crude.

Just boxing gloves, and Marines fighting in the sand. lol

Of course there are the Army Combatives guys, but in my experience, their skills level is minimal at worst, and a high white belt or very low blue belt at best.

Ive rolled with several Army Combative "Champions", and absolutely tooled them. No base. Standing up in guard.

No defense from submissions. No idea how to pass the guard.

I even rolled with an instructor, and he was ok. Maybe a high white belt level? I wasnt impressed, and submitted him easily without full effort.

btw, good luck in Shit-can-i-stan. My brother deploys in September.

3. dazed863

dazed863 Blue Belt

when i was there no.

doesn't mean you can't get a few other people who are interested together and get something going at one of the gyms.

while most army combatives trainers are complete crap you can't say all are. combatives is something you HAVE to do whether you like it or not. so most people only train the required once a week (some units don't train it at all) and don't put much effort into it . just like in the civilian world, there are those that love it. the senior instructor i trained with while i was in korea was high level purple belt and he along with myself and a five others (out of a unit of about 150 soldiers) would get together two times a week. after a while other soldiers and airmen from around the area who caught wind would show up and before you knew it the class was full of people who had previous bjj / mma training from all over.

so good training partners are out there... just gotta shake them out of the tree.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  4. YeahBee

YeahBee Samdog Original Nine

there was a thread and video a while back about some dude who set up an MMA club in Kabul I believe it was, an Afghan not US soldier. he had pro fighter tags IIRC