BJJ Headgear

MMA954

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I have a few questions regarding head gear for BJJ class.

1) What brand and style do you suggest? (that works but is also comfortable)

2) Where should I buy from?

3) How often do you wash them?

4) How do you wash them?

5) Is there a certain point when you should just throw it out and get a new one?

Anybody have any suggestions this morning?

1.) One of the Cliff Keen models, comfy, and you can actually hear with them on your head. I have the F5 Tornado and like it. A training partner has the F3 Twister and he likes his too. I don't think the model matters as much as the maker in this case

2.) There are tons of places that sell this brand, buy where it's cheapest for you with whatever coupon codes you can locate

3/4.) regularly wipe them with dilute bleach or other sanitizing solution

5.) When the foam cracks and wears out. Cracks in the foam coating can harbor nasties

I have never heard of Cliff Keen. What I have seen around are mostly Asics and Brute. Is Cliff Keen better than these?

Cliff Keen is not carried at your local mall's sporting goods store, so it's not surprising that you haven't hear of that brand. Among wrestlers, CK is fairly well known. I can't predict if you'll like them better. Try searching Cliff Keen on this board and see how many posts reference that brand.

thanks for the help today pittfrog. I looked through the posts like you recommended and the only negative I see is that the hard outside of the Cliff Keen might bother opponents. Over all they seem to be well known and liked by everyone who owns them. I went to their site and I am gonna design a custom one tonight. Thanks again.

i've have both cliffkleen and brute shockwave and i have to agree that the brute shockwave is the best headgear. it's soft on the outside (which is nice on your opponents) and also nicely profiled so that you can still escape from triangles and such.

I bought it at this website and had no problems what so ever...

Brute Shockwave Wrestling Earguard

as far as cleaning goes, a quick once over with any antibiotic wipe after classes is enough.

they are cheap and worth every penny. so replacing them once they've ripped is no problemo.

I have a little mesh bag that came with mine. I just throw it in there and wash it with the rest of my gis and workout clothes. I let it hang dry and by the next day it is good and ready to go.

I have been borowing a pair of Cliff Keen earguards from my gym but they are a cheap model and rub on my ears. I am wavering between the Cliff Keen Tornado and the Brute Shockwave. The negative I see about the Tornados is the hard outside might bother my partners and the Shockwaves don't look like they have a big pocket for the ear and they look like they would be hard to hear with. Can some one give me some insight as to why to go either way? Thanks

I hate going head-to-head with someone whos wearing headgear when I'm not.

I have been borowing a pair of Cliff Keen earguards from my gym but they are a cheap model and rub on my ears. I am wavering between the Cliff Keen Tornado and the Brute Shockwave. The negative I see about the Tornados is the hard outside might bother my partners and the Shockwaves don't look like they have a big pocket for the ear and they look like they would be hard to hear with. Can some one give me some insight as to why to go either way? Thanks

Brute Shockwave is not only soft on the outside making it easy on your partners, but comfortable for your ears. hearing is no problem with the Brute as well. They are also profiled very close to your ears unlike the Cliff Kleen which stick out more. like i said in my previous post, I have both Cliff Kleen and the Brute Shockwave; and the Cliff Kleen sits in my gym bag now as a backup. Buy the Brute Shockwave and you will thank me later, and so will your grappling partners!

Brute Shockwave is not only soft on the outside making it easy on your partners, but comfortable for your ears. hearing is no problem with the Brute as well. They are also profiled very close to your ears unlike the Cliff Kleen which stick out more. like i said in my previous post, I have both Cliff Kleen and the Brute Shockwave; and the Cliff Kleen sits in my gym bag now as a backup. Buy the Brute Shockwave and you will thank me later, and so will your grappling partners!

It never fell off your head while training? Its been coming off of min even for armbar escapes, its annoying...

I have a little mesh bag that came with mine. I just throw it in there and wash it with the rest of my gis and workout clothes. I let it hang dry and by the next day it is good and ready to go.

Does the repeated washing cause the headgear to shrink?

Back