BJJ gyms in San Francisco's sunset district

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by xfire, Aug 9, 2015.

1. xfire

xfire Orange Belt

I'm looking to start training bjj again, and I have recently moved to SF and living in central sunset. the two closes bjj gyms are bushido fight team, which seems to be run under a ralph gracie black belt,and charles gracie jiu jitsu. Neither have recent reviews , so I was wondering if any of you have trained at either of those gyms or know of any others that are good in the area.

2. lts5025

lts5025 "What the **** is a Dim Mack?"

3. Dogstarman

Dogstarman Old man jiu jitsu

Ralph Gracie with Kurt Osiander.

4. trustdoesntrust

trustdoesntrust Purple Belt

The people at this place were absolute jerks to me when I went in and inquired about training. Way too expensive for what it is. Unless I'm completely missing something, I would not go there.

5. Qtip inspector

Qtip inspector Blue Belt

Sapoa is by ocean beach. In Richmond. I've trained under him. He's good. Has that Ralph tough guy thing/ strictly gi. He can turn people off. Lol. Kurt is way worse I don't train with kurt because of it ,despite his internet fame
    I would train with sapoa over the other 2
    Your relatively in the sticks and will have to travel for a good school
    Bay Jiu Jitsu has a couple places
    K-1 on van ness has Bjj
    10 planet is close to mass transit ( I go there)
    Ralph's is a little further

6. lts5025

lts5025 "What the **** is a Dim Mack?"

Did you let slip that you were a Sherdogger? That might have been what set them off.

7. Dogstarman

Dogstarman Old man jiu jitsu

Trust: I heard about this place from sherdog.

CSjiujitsu: Fuck this guy, we only like posters from the UG.

TheGZA likes this.
  8. trustdoesntrust

trustdoesntrust Purple Belt

If anybody here represents this place: I'm sure the crazy San Francisco rents can add a lot of pressure, but as an avid BJJ enthusiast and thus potential long-term customer, marketing and new membership BS is a gigantic turn-off, especially at shoebox gyms like this. I never met the head instructor, but the guy I did talk to basically told me to F off because I wasn't there for the woman's self defense or kids classes.

9. kintana

kintana Purple Belt

I been in San Francisco for 3 months and sadly I am leaving soon. But I trained at Ralph Gracie with Kurt. It was a great experience there and the technique level is sharp. What I love the most is the classes and the structure. There is the drill and kill classes(as kurt calls it) and then your standard BJJ class. And my favourite sucker free training on saturday.

In sunset I don't know the places there to train but I know going to ralph's is a journey from sunset. And SF transportation isn't the best.

10. JustTheTip

JustTheTip Green Belt

What are your goals? IMO the best place in SF to get good at BJJ is Ralph Gracie's hands down. Kurt definitely has a "bro" type attitude/personality that I can totally see turning people off,but the level of BJJ there is head and shoulders over everyone else in SF.If ultra-serious, see if you can start training with Woolf Barnato. He is a Brown belt there(Won worlds at Blue and Purple) and everybody in his crew of training partners has gotten ridiculously good in a short amount of time.I compete often and really don't see competitors from any other school on the regular basis.Even if mainly interested in Nogi, I would train there. I would pick their BBs against BBs that trained fulltime Nogi elsewhere.On average. There might be schools closer,but IMO the subway ride is worth it for the best BJJ.
    If looking at BJJ as recreation and totally turned off to competitiveness ,I'd suggest Bay Jiujitsu.Far more laid back vibe and really nice people. The vibe there is more about having fun and there are alot of really nice quality people.

11. BJJ Coffee Drinker

BJJ Coffee Drinker Amateur Fighter

A friend of mine used to train at CS jiujitsu. It was a while back though and he mentioned he mostly trained with Renan Vital and had many good things to say. I don't see his name on the website anymore though. Anyone know if he's still there or went elsewhere?

12. Oshime2

Oshime2 you were too beautiful for this world

I trained with Stephan Goyne, who runs Bay Jiu Jitsu, years and years ago. He's a nice guy with really good technique. I remember him being a bit of a hustler though, but still, good grappler.

13. Qtip inspector

Qtip inspector Blue Belt

10 planet SF competes a lot. Matter of fact we won Gracie nationals as a team 2 or 3 years in a row
    Big red , who is going to adcc as we speak
    And obviously you are referring to Denny as the BB from all nogi school. Funny since he trains plenty with Darren ( Ralph ), shields ,yuri and Caio I think he's up to speed with high level grappling lol

I will agree that Ralph's has the most colored belts on the mat. For sure. But they aren't the only gig in town anymore

14. JustTheTip

JustTheTip Green Belt

I don't want to turn this into an anti-10th Planet post but hardly anybody does the Gracie Nationals.Doing that one tournament every year doesn't really qualify as "competing alot" IMO.Most of the divisions are really shallow.Having 2 matches a year is not "competing alot".For gi, there are 3 tournaments that have at least 5 times more competitors than Gracie Nationals. I wasn't referring to any BBs in particular either. Years ago, I have seen Denny roll with both Caio and Jake and if you are making it seem like he is close to their level or competitive with them,you are being disingenuous.
    Overall, I suggest the OP visit every school and see which one he feels most comfortable at.

15. muaythaifolife

muaythaifolife Blue Belt

Where did you end up training? Im also looking to train again after a few years off. I just moved to Inner Sunset around the time you posted this. So far, I've Been to Ralph's, Bay Jiu Jitsu, and FTCC to check out classes. I don't love the vibe at Ralphs, but damn they have a ton of upper belts on the mats at all times. Hard to beat that, but I really dig the vibe at the other 2 places. Traveling takes roughly the same amount of time to get to each, but parking sucks at all of them. Gonna check out the kids classes at each and see where my 4 year old is gonna fit the best.

16. throwboes

throwboes Blue Belt

I'm not sure if it's an official policy but I think signing up at a Ralph Gracie school allows you to cross train at the other Ralph schools without paying a drop in fee, and there are lots of Ralph schools in Northern CA.

As far as the vibe at Kurt's, at first it feels like everyone is trying to kill you because you're a visitor but then you'll quickly realize it's just guys training hard. You see how friendly they are when class is over and people will chat up visitors and strangers. I've been there on a day when I didn't know anyone in the room and I wind up drilling with people after class.