BJJ gyms in Oakland, CA

LSVTEC

White Belt
Reaction score
Any recommendations in Oakland or nearby? I'm a grad student so also trying to keep the membership fees somewhat low.

Thanks!

Eduardo Rocha is in Oakland.

Also excellent is Modern Combatives in Berkeley - there is a huge mat with a full size ring and a cage, and a wide range of excellent instruction. You can work a deal with the owners there, for sure, and get a free try out.

http://moderncombatives.com/

Any recommendations in Oakland or nearby? I'm a grad student so also trying to keep the membership fees somewhat low.

Thanks!

By the time you get a job, you'll be making lots of dough. Therefore, just don't be disrespectful and begging for a discount by being a cheapo. No instructors likes cheapo students.

There is a few options around Oakland.

In Oakland
Eduardo Rocha's
Bay Jiu Jitsu

Near Oakland
Machine Works - San Leandro
Ralph Gracie - Berkeley
Sergio Silva's - Alameda and El Cerrito
Rio Combat inside Baladium - Alameda

It really all depends where in Oakland you will be living and what will fit your school schedule of course. There are more MMA gyms that teach BJJ classes also.

Pacific Ring Sports-- best all-around gym in the east bay for sure. Jits program is okay, but Muay Thai and Boxing are as good as you'll find in the bay. You get a lot for your money at this place.

Pacific Ring Sports-- best all-around gym in the east bay for sure. Jits program is okay, but Muay Thai and Boxing are as good as you'll find in the bay. You get a lot for your money at this place.

The BJJ group is just all beginners. The instructor Omar Kasdi is excellent. I'm there until I move to Los Angeles at the end of the week, but I joined there specifically for him.

EDIT:

Some UC Berkeley students are trying very hard to get a club set up in time for next semester. They also have a deal with Ralphs in Berkeley. Idk if OP is a Cal student though.

Thanks guys. I was looking at the website for Machineworks and noticed they have part-time schedule memberships. That is awesome since my schedule can get crazy. I'll try to go check them out very soon

By the time you get a job, you'll be making lots of dough. Therefore, just don't be disrespectful and begging for a discount by being a cheapo. No instructors likes cheapo students.

That is harsh.
Maybe he can find an instructor that has a job and does not teach bjj for a living. Therefore fees should be lower.

Thanks guys. I was looking at the website for Machineworks and noticed they have part-time schedule memberships. That is awesome since my schedule can get crazy. I'll try to go check them out very soon

Good choice. Jeremy is an excellent instructor and a fierce competitor. I highly recommend his place.

Just got offered a job in Oakland. Where can I drop in if a decide to do the interview?

Say hi to Jeremy for me...

Back