1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

BJJ Gyms in Mississauga

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by BigCP84**, Jul 18, 2010.

1. BigCP84**

BigCP84** There are no absolutes!

I was looking at Kombat arts, tried it out wasn't too impressed. if you are looking for fitness and fun with a good bunch of guys than they are awesome (though they do have special team invite training). Scott Schilling's schedule is just not in sync with mine as I work Wednesday nights so that just leaves mondays and saturdays.

Than I found out that all the top BJJ guys form Kombat Arts moved to Xtreme Couture, I sent an e-mail asking for more info on the BJJ program, like schedule and pricing. I get a reply telling me to check out the website which I already did with no info on it. I get a follow up e-mail: "Dude... Jusy checkin to see if you were taken care of... kind of a follow up. Lets us know.". So I reply "No not really, I didnt get any of the info I asked for. Just told to check the website or call."

Then I get another sales pitch to come in for a tour, and talk to the staff to find the right gym for me...

Has martial arts training really gone the way of premier fitness?... Hell no, but I wonder if Randy knows that is how they do business? cant even get a simple answer without getting a sales pitch.

I have however found an AWSOME BJJ club, it is a little more expensive but that is just because of the new HST tax in Canada, so I am sure all clubs went up. The training you receive there is outstanding, and It is more of a traditional school, as the owner\head instructor was taught by John Machado (the only one in Canada). They always have top BJJ athletes coming in to train and teach; they just had Jacques Machado in there for a seminar and coming up in August Fabricio Werdum is coming in... how sick is that? the guy who beat Fedor. Right now I can train Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays and then when I get betting I will be invited to the team training on Fridays.

Oh yeah, almost forgot the name of the school is All Canadian Martial Arts. The classes are taught around tournament point systems (so you know what to do and what not to do in competition), all classes are taught in Gi but all techniques a taught to working with Gi & No-Gi competition; for example when doing an armbar we are shown to hug the arm, instead of gripping the Gi, so we can use that move in Gi and No-Gi comp.

It is funny, cuz to be honest I didnt think they would be up to much from their website. So I went in to take a look at the place and ask a few questions, went in the next day to observe a class, then decided to try it. I really like the school, everyone is really friendly.

I just wanted to question Xtreme Couture AND let everyone know about the great training at ACMA, they do have other arts there, but it is mainly a BJJ gym.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2010
  2. MUFC

MUFC Brown Belt

When did you visit Kombat Arts?

We do not have "special team invite" training. The Kombat Arts BJJ group right now is relatively young as a team (not the age of people, but the experience). I cannot remember anyone dropping in that was above blue belt (except Egor, the RedStar Kimono dude), and most of our guys do really well in competition.

Maybe you just came at a bad time. I dunno lol

Might seem strange, but your post makes you seem like someone that works for ACMA. I dunno lol :D

3. bora y

bora y Purple Belt

this sounds like an advertisement thread.

4. BigCP84**

sorry, it is not Kombat Arts team I was referring too, it was Scott Lewis's team\Team Navo Uniao. I didnt realize that Kombat Arts had their own team. I dropped in for a day time class a couple of weeks ago (I am in school right now, academic upgrading for college) and I work so my schedule is weird. It is a decent place but as you said, it is still young in experience. I was also around when Mark Bocek trained/taught there but I was doing boxing at the time.

No I dont work at ACMA, I just though I would give them an shout out on a grappling forum to get them some more attention. As I stated before IMO their website is ok, it isnt that great either. So I thought I would share a little info on them since people are always looking for options and to be truthful I wasnt even going to consider AMCA until and went to check it out.

5. BigCP84**

I would say it is more of a summary of the BJJ schools "I" have some kind of experience with in Mississauga. I have seen a few threads on here of people looking for BJJ schools in Mississauga, and no one has mentioned the ACMA so I thought I would shine some light on them.

6. MUFC

MUFC Brown Belt

What's your rank?

The reason I ask is, someone newish, and you seemingly are (see end of post), should have no problem with a school that is young in experience, provided it is headed by a legit Black Belt that has a core of more experienced grapplers that can help out.

I'm basically at every class and in the last couple of weeks I remember 5-6 drop ins.

1 female, not you.
    1 short indian dude that I worked with, don't think it's you.
    1 dude in an atama gold weave
    1 black dude that was from Holland, wore a blue redstar
    1 other black gentleman that has been in a few times, I think he bought a gi last week, random brand they sell (Take A Risk)

Yea, I remember details.

Sorry to be a bit of a twat, but:

In a post, dated 04/21/2010, you said you trained at Kombat Arts - http://www.sherdog.net/forums/37910165-post13.html

Almost a month prior, in another thread you made, you said you spoke with the head instructor (Scott).

In another thread you said you had a SYR BlackStar Gi.

I'm not trying to be an ass, as I fully believe that you trained at Kombat Arts for some period of time, but, I cannot remember you, and I remember everyone and everything.

Edit: In no way am I implying that your decision to go to ACMA was a poor one. Everyone is entitled to seek the best environment for them to train in. I'd just like to clear up discrepancies so that I can remember who you are. It may help me remember any problems that I can pass along to those in charge (in a respectful manner, of course).

Last edited: Jul 18, 2010
  7. Krupp

Krupp Orange Belt

Bahahahahahaha. You got owned.

I train BJJ at Kombat. I don't think you can go wrong. You are just getting frustrated in my opinion. It's like Pete say's Mat time...Mat time...Mat time...