BJJ, Grappling, and Priorities

Seems to be mainly younger people posting in here.

Biggest piece of advice I can give is the key to a happy life (or wife) is balance.

You cannot have your hobby or career be the only thing you focus on. You have to find the balance that works for you and your family. That balance will change over time as your family grows/changes or career changes.

BJJ is my only serious hobby so I have no problem making 4 days a week. My wife is pretty understanding so that helps. I don't really care about my career. It's just a job.

Right now I'm young, single and not super career-oriented so my job basically allows me to eat, pay the bills, and do BJJ. When I'm not doing BJJ my next priority is just to spend quality time with my friends.

I'm sure eventually, someday down the road my priorities will be more like
1. Kids
2. Wife
3. Career
4. BJJ
5. Friends
6. Everything else

I used to put school and work above it, but now I have become physically incapable of giving a fuck. I have no social life to speak of.

1. Job (don't get to do BJJ without this)
2. BJJ
3. Friends
4. Other

I'm a college student and I work part time. I work so I can train slash compete and I go to school to make something of myself in the future. I compete about once a month and train whenever work is not conflicting. I plan on making bjj my life somehow someway.

sorry for the FRAT but this really got me interested since I've been scheming on how to switch careers and make BJJ my career:

it's been about 3 years since i started working professionally. i'm a programmer, and my parents have been tailoring my education to become one ever since i was 16 (i ran the whole asian engineering gauntlet through and through.) i hated it then, and i hate it now. the only thing is that i didn't know what else to do with my life so i just ran with it. then i got into bjj sometime in college. it was a hobby that i enjoyed, and it helped me cope with having a job that i didn't particularly like.

maybe about a year and a half ago, bjj was becoming a big part of my life but nothing extraordinary. but now it's become a huge part of my life, and about a month ago, i realized this is what i want to do (compete, train, and run a school), and there's nothing else in life that's ever motivated me to get up at 5:30 in the morning or to drive through an hour of shitty traffic, and there's nothing else that i've ever enjoyed doing this much.

I decided it's more important to do something you love, even if you suck at it, or fail to make a living out of it, than to do anything else with your life. (ha...i say this as if i came up with this on my own. it's what many have been telling me all along.)

since then, i've been treating this like any other goal should be treated. just like when i was focused on getting my college degree, i need to focus on this the same way. classes shouldn't be skipped; extra study time needs to be put in, and sacrifices need to be made. i have to plan for it in the long term; how much money will i have to save? how will i give my school credibility when it opens? how will my ability to instruct pair up with my actual technique? what should i know about running a business? who should i network with now? etc. etc..

i've been lucky that so far as i haven't had a need to make any extraordinary sacrifices. for certain, i spend more time on BJJ than socializing, or anything else for that matter. but i'm fortunate because my brother, who i consider a huge priority in my life, lives 5 minutes walking distance and he goes to BJJ classes with me. my extra training sessions are with one of my closest friends who also does BJJ, and I even got my roommate, another close friend, to start as well. so i don't necessarily feel like i'm really falling behind on socializing - and i still see my friends one night out of the week.

BJJ has become a number one priority to me, because to be able to make your passion your career is a huge accomplishment, even if in the eyes of others, you're really just a martial arts instructor. but to wake up everyday and do what you love and get paid for it....if i can do that, then everybody else can kiss my ass.

My Girl

then

School

then

Hobbies (Grappling,Music,Games)

i wish i could do more bjj.

for me, it's family/friends, work, then hobbies.

Back