BJJ Gods Smite Maycee Barber

If she let someone else talk her in to doing it or did it by choice she was at fault regardless of age. Whomever ran the gym was also clearly at fault more than her as well though.

Her dad owned the gym. One would guess he was involved in important decisions regarding how the business was run, marketed, presented to the public, etc.

I always found the outrage in this story to seem a bit misdirected. The dad was raising those girls in his martial arts business. He should have been guiding them and protecting them—even from themselves when necessary. They were kids charged with adult roles in an adult setting that’s loaded with all kinds of rules, taboos, traditions that aren’t always obvious. I always thought the dad should have known better and it’s on him that it happened.

Anyways, I see the schadenfreude from some posters over a 20 year old girl shredding her ACL (and continuing to fight through it for two rounds)—all because of a “mistake” she made at 15 years old—to be pretty damn petty. Predictable. But petty.

Anyways, I see the schadenfreude from some posters over a 20 year old girl shredding her ACL (and continuing to fight through it for two rounds)—all because of a “mistake” she made at 15 years old—to be pretty damn petty. Predictable. But petty.

I haven't said anything negative about her, but she did look horrible in the fight PRIOR to the torn ACL. Just for the record here.

I thought she acted like an entitled douche as well, immediately saying "I'm sorry, I couldn't walk, I'm so sorry" to Roxanne. In context, what she was doing was essentially making an excuse and taking away from Modaffieri's (sp) performance. Struck me as a bit pathetic and entitled.

Roxanne smothered her and dominated her for an entire round, and probably looked better / landed more in the stand-up prior, so it's not like she entirely lost due to the knee injury or had to apologize for not being able to "go" in some 3 round nail biting thriller. It wasn't even close prior to the injury.

She looked bad. For someone who was supposed to be the next up and coming prospect for WMMA in that division, advertised as such, she was trash. Sorry gonna say it like it is. When you get dominated by Roxanne (not taking anything away from her but she's not a top tier fighter at all) that's embarrasing.

I feel like I’m the only person who legit feels bad for Maycee. Glad Roxanne won though always cool to see an old vet like her win a big fight.

Oh man, never saw this before. That’s some awful cringey stuff.

If she was a teenager, not gonna hold it against her for life, but yeah. Yeesh.

Her dad owned the gym. One would guess he was involved in important decisions regarding how the business was run, marketed, presented to the public, etc.

I always found the outrage in this story to seem a bit misdirected. The dad was raising those girls in his martial arts business. He should have been guiding them and protecting them—even from themselves when necessary. They were kids charged with adult roles in an adult setting that’s loaded with all kinds of rules, taboos, traditions that aren’t always obvious. I always thought the dad should have known better and it’s on him that it happened.

Wow, that makes it worse so. What a shitty parent putting his kids in that situation or allowing it to happen.

On her ACL injury, anyone celebrating that is a prick who deserves their own ACL injury.

To my surprise, some of the guys at my table didn't even know who Roxanne was. I was absolutely surprised that Roxanne was an underdog, and by quite a lot, in this fight. I was delighted that Roxanne not only won but absolutely dominated Maycee and should get more respect.

Some things in this thread that I agree with

It sucks that Barber blew out her knee, hopefully she recovers well

It's awesome that Roxanne won

It was super douchey the way Barber grabbed the mic. I heard Roxy on Ariel's show after the fight and, gracious and nice as she always is, she agreed that it was in poor taste, but excused it as Maycee being young and not knowing any better.

Roxanne was winning that fight from start to finish and it was a good showing by her. The knee helped, but Roxanne was taking it to her. As Roxanne said on Ariel's show, in the first round, Maycee was doing a good job of stopping Roxanne's punches with her face.

Going from fake black belt to fighting in the UFC is a pretty good turn around imo

Don't agree with this at all i'm afraid.

It was being used to make people signing up at a school believe someone coaching had a certain level of skill or experience they didn't have. People are paying money for the instruction and the perceived quality of the coaches is part of that so misrepresenting that is fraudulent bullshit. If you have blue belt coaches so what, just don't lie and say they're not blue belts or have them wear their Ari-Bolden Fu belts while teaching BJJ.

If she let someone else talk her in to doing it or did it by choice she was at fault regardless of age. Whomever ran the gym was also clearly at fault more than her as well though.

Anyway, fair play to Roxy it was a terrific performance.
At fault regardless of age is an absolutely stupid statement. Ecspecially in an situation where someone she trusted and respectex may have told her itd be ok or even lied to her. Anyways, it was not the right thing to do. Roxy had a great win!

one more thing, belts are stupid.

At fault regardless of age is an absolutely stupid statement. Ecspecially in an situation where someone she trusted and respectex may have told her itd be ok or even lied to her. Anyways, it was not the right thing to do. Roxy had a great win!

one more thing, belts are stupid.
Come on, when you were 15 are you saying you wouldn't have known posing for photos and and videos while a Blue Belt with your karate belt from non-existent karate classes on to give the impression you were a black belt coach wasn't scamming people?

Kids aren't stupid and she certainly knew it was wrong. She was 15, not an adult but certainly old enough to understand what was happening through knowing what the belts relate to. Regardless of what her father might have told her there is blame on her too but obviously a fraction of what's on him for perpetrating the scam.

Come on, when you were 15 are you saying you wouldn't have known posing for photos and and videos while a Blue Belt with your karate belt from non-existent karate classes on to give the impression you were a black belt coach wasn't scamming people?

Kids aren't stupid and she certainly knew it was wrong. She was 15, not an adult but certainly old enough to understand what was happening through knowing what the belts relate to. Regardless of what her father might have told her there is blame on her too but obviously a fraction of what's on him for perpetrating the scam.
Exactly she was 15 and a lot of 15 year olds are very very stupid and flexing all over the place growing into who they are and that includes morality. I dont put much weight on anything bad a 15 teen year old does unless its systemic or very harmful. Live and learn. When you fuck up make sure you pay your dues. Thats all any of us can do, even maycee barber

That flower sweep was beautiful
She hit that in her previous fight too! I thought Roxanne moved significantly better on her feet than she has in the past. Kinda crazy considering how far into her career she is. Good for Roxy.

"Black Belts Are NOT Transferable
With the explosive popularity of MMA and jiu-jitsu, many martial arts schools are offering multiple disciplines under one roof. This, in and of itself, is not a problem. If however, a black belt instructor of one discipline such as Tang Soo Do, decides that he will wear a black belt when teaching a jiu-jitsu class, even though he is not a black belt in jiu-jitsu, this is called “Black Belt Transferring” and this is a SERIOUS problem."

Source: Eastern Europe BJJ, Oct. 11, 2015

I can't imagine why someone would suggest a black-belt in Tang Soo Do, for instance, should be worn in a jiu-jitsu class???[omg1]

Seems to be an outgrowth of the sport mindset about trophies, and the like. Symbolic achievement vs. actual accomplishments. Even with a black-belt, skill levels could be all over the map.

I'm sure @ my Judo school, only belts awarded by the instructors are permitted. I was given a white belt with a uniform and I'm still wearing it. It'll only change once I pass the test for orange. Why would anyone think otherwise?

Roxanne looked like she was being possessed by an MMA demon or some shit, brutal beatdown. Fucking loved it.
Maycee has a hellavu good track record and trains out of RoufusSport. Just looked that up. Her 246 salary was a 'whoppoing' $29,000!?!

So why all the hate? Something for u tu doo?<FookIsThatGuy>

I'm split about this. On the one hand, she was disrespectful post-fight and clearly tried to mislead people. On the other hand, she's 21 and most of us have done stuff way more stupid than she has.

That being said, how has she not been busted earlier? A large three or four stripe man would submit (or at least toss around) a female blue. That man would get dominated and submitted by a female brown/black. The difference in skill is huge lol

let’s also remember she was wearing a jiu jitsu black belt. Karate bb’s don’t have the red bar on the end

Back