BJJ Gi

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment Discussion' started by cjstephens, Oct 10, 2010.

1. cjstephens

cjstephens White Belt

I'm about to start bjj classes and I was wondering what kind of gi I should get, single thread or double? I know the single thread is cheaper and I'm kinda leaning towards that because I don't have a very big budget. Is there a big difference between the 2 types of threads? I appreciate any advice, thanks.

2. uofm_fan1979

uofm_fan1979 White Belt

Fuji makes a really good gi. That's what I bought my son and it is a VERY GOOD gi.

3. beeran1

beeran1 Purple Belt

Single-weaves are typically cheaper. Double-weaves are generally very thick, heavy and hot, with thicker collars (which makes it more difficult for your opponents to grab onto). Personally, I would go with a single or gold weave (gold is between the two) if I only had one gi. What is your height/weight?

4. ChiliDavis65

ChiliDavis65 Blue Belt

Fuji Single-Weave is a good starter gi, imho.

5. cjstephens

cjstephens White Belt

I'm about 5'7 and weigh 170lbs.

6. beeran1

beeran1 Purple Belt

I've heard good things about Fujis, though I haven't tried them myself. Sirius is another affodable brand that I can strongly recommend.

7. cjstephens

cjstephens White Belt

Ya I've heard good things about Fuji, thanks for the advice guys.

8. MMAGearZone

MMAGearZone White Belt

check out the vulkan ultra light gi. its the lightest weight gi ever made. very breathable. very comfortable. and not too expensive.

9. AgentFish

AgentFish Orange Belt

depends on you and where you live/train. I sweat to death in my gold weave, but I know it's durable and will last. It is a padilla and sons and I like it, it fits me well, I have problems keeping sleeves legal. There are plenty of decent gis around depending on your budget. Gameness Pearl is around $100. I've heard fujis shrink a lot, but I have no personal experience with them. One of the guys I roll with has one, it seems to work.

10. ruby1zero

ruby1zero White Belt