BJJ for streetfighting?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Yunggun**, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Yunggun**

Yunggun** White Belt

Hi all, new member here. I live in a rough neighborhood if you ant to call it that. Not gang violence and stuff, but there are a lot of fist fights and tough guys and such here. I figured I should learn some kind of martial art so I don't get my ass beat when I need to fight. I was looking at Muay Thai, Boxing, and BJJ. I'll just talk about BJJ here since this is the right forum. BJJ seems like a solid art for 1 on 1. I watched lots of royce gracie fights when the UFC was more like a streetfight to see how BJJ was effective in an environment with little rules and it looks like a good martial art. By the way, I don't really have to worry about multiple attackers unless it is a group vs group fight since there are kind of "street" rules where I live. In all the years I have lived here only one time these guys jumped into a 1 on 1 fight and they all got jumped by some other guys who found out about it and who weren't friends of the victim but just kind of stood for street justice and fair fights. The problem I have with BJJ though is submissions. Breaking some guys arm in a fight will land me in legal trouble, while a guy submitting to strikes won't since cuts and bruises heal. The chokes are interesting, but since I am uneducated in all of this I don't want to kill someone or let them go when they are still awake. People might also say I fight like a girl for choking someone, but I could give a fuck about that since I'm not trying to prove something but rather just defending myself. So yeah, would BJJ be a better choice than boxing or muay thai for 1 on 1 fights?

2. Latecomer

Latecomer Blue Belt

3. TheHereticJay

TheHereticJay I scoff at your belt rankings

You're looking for Aikido.

4. Einarr

Einarr Banned Banned

No. You couldn't give a fuck, could literally means the exact opposite of what you're trying to convey.

Anyway, BJJ is essential if you ever find yourself on the ground, not that you want to be there in the first place but you may not have a choice in the matter. I'd personally advocate Judo as the ultimate street art - one hard Osoto Gari and your opponent will have a nasty concussion, it also has enough groundwork that you should be able to handle yourself against someone with no groundfighting experience (whereas in my experience BJJ stand-up is really quite terrible, for the most part). Ideally I'd advocate training BJJ, Judo and Freestyle Wrestling.

As for striking, I wouldn't bother too much except to learn to take a punch.Going for head punches in a streetfight is a bad idea - you'll quite posiibly break your hand or wrist without gloves and wraps, even if you've trained boxing or Muay Thai - and body shots are not usually immediate fight finishers.

5. WhiteBeltLifer

WhiteBeltLifer White Belt

Drunken Fist Kung Fu FTW

6. All In The Game

All In The Game Green Belt

7. WhiteBeltLifer

WhiteBeltLifer White Belt

^^ lol

8. SAMURAI SPIRIT

SAMURAI SPIRIT Blue Belt

Go to your nearest Kyokushin Karate dojo. Ask them to give you bare knuckle a body shot. Just one!

9. Alex88

Alex88 Brown Belt

love these threads...nice trollin

10. ShinkanPo

ShinkanPo Coronalicious!

Train UFC.

11. JimmyTheHand

JimmyTheHand Blue Belt

/Thread

12. K1HerosNakamura

K1HerosNakamura Black Belt

Pwning someone with a judo throw on da streets is beyond cash. Seconded

13. crazyjames1233

crazyjames1233 Black Belt

eat bath salts before you train

14. jdturner11

jdturner11 Yellow Belt

I wouldn't worry about landing in jail with BJJ street fights over a broken arm. You aren't going to break anything, why? Because you won't know what the hell to do. You'll be so flustered and adrenaline will be pumping so fast into your poor body that all of your technique will fly out the window.

ESPECIALLY don't worry about people thinking you fought dirty, why? Because you'll lose regardless. You're thinking that these techniques will give you some unforeseen advantage in fighting, while realistically they won't. You sound like that scrawny kid who walks into a gym and claims he's training to "kick ass". No offense TS, but this is the vibe you give off in excess.

What happens to that kid? He quits. He quits because the gym is literally packed with people that have worked their asses off for a dozen better reasons than him, who hurt his ego on a regular basis. At first this kid will find like minded individuals, but they taper off quickly as they come to the same realization that there will always be someone tougher and stronger. Maybe the kid will grow because of it and learn that it's more than "self defense" and about growing yourself as a person.

Probably not.

The one martial art that's the best for self defense?

Running. Get some shoes.

15. jclaudevandamme

jclaudevandamme Blue Belt

Train Kendo. Carry a katana and your favourite japanese robes around everytime. If someone try to shoot you with a gun cut the bullet in half.

16. the heed

the heed Look at the size of that boy's heed.

[​IMG]

train MK

17. BJJ_Rage

BJJ_Rage Gold Belt

there is no reason to be a jerk with the kid... Like some poster said, I love how when this topic shows up, everyone started to go to bjj classes to be muldial champs from day 1 and couldnt care less about fighting, its fucking bullshit.

Most people I know started bjj to learn how to fight, as a matter of fact, bjj has grown as fast as it did in the US and world because of the UFC, not because of guys wanting to be sport bjj players, so cut the bs...

To the kid (you are obvius a kid) yes bjj is awesome, you will learn how to choke people out pretty quickly and dont worry about killing anyone, its really really hard to choke someone to death (nor you will require to do it)

Getting in streetfights its stupid, you seem to live in a upper class neighborhood (since no one is jumping into fights) and just dont want to be push around, I understand that, having your ego crushed its horrible and can create permanent scars that could last your whole life, sometimes you gotta do the animal thing, so if it has to go down, so be it.

Oh and buy a gun is the most utterly ridiculous advice anyone can give out, are you going to shoot spoiled teens? yeah going to jail for your entire life because someone tried to punch you in the face seems like the logical thing to do....:icon_cry2:icon_cry2

gotta love macho men attitude...

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  18. kintana

kintana Purple Belt

In my opinion knowing how to take a fight to the ground and fight Is key. So any martial art that helps with that I recommend. I practice bjj so I would go with that. But if you want another like sambo it could be good. But u won't go wrong with bjj

19. CajunJudoka

CajunJudoka Judo Brown BJJ Brown

Trainz teh Strikeforce bro!

20. iama

iama Orange Belt

Muay Thai for a street fight, unquestionably.