BJJ explosiveness for beginner

Flounder

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I'm a grossly out of shape 36 yo. Just started training BJJ, and totally lack any explosiveness. Trying to escape from full mount or side mount is virtually impossible for me (esp if I'm gassed at all) due to lack of explosiveness. Any suggestions for exercises I can do at home to improve this problem? My budget is pretty much blown on my BJJ classes, so it would have to be cheap. Thanks.

Improving max strength is the best way for beginners to improve power.

So get stronger.

Read the stickies.

hmmmmm i would work your overall conditioning and drill your techinique till you can do then in your sleep. First i would recommend gettin into shape before you want to become explosive. Since your low on funds why not start doing, push ups, freehand/hindu squats, sit-ups, burpees, and other calisthenics, they won't cost you a dime only require some time and effort. Work into it slowly rememeber your 36, out of shape and not a young buck anymore. I'm not sure on your background of training, because your fairly new to BJJ this applies to any sport work on your technique. There are no "quick fixes" in grappling or weight training.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for increasing explosiveness and overall it will help your game.

BUT, what you mention seems more like a technique issue than anything else. You're new to BJJ. So a better player has you in an inferior position. Of course you're having trouble escaping.

Granted, explosiveness will help shore up the weakness in your technique but it really isn't the solution to fixing your escapes. BJJ isn't wrestling and isn't designed to require you to 'out-explode' your opponent.

Thanks for the input. Some of the techniques that I've been taught for full mount escape and side mount escape seem to require some degree of explosiveness to create space. ie bucking the person on me so I can shrimp out, etc.

What made you decide to start training BJJ, was it to GET back in shape?

Do you have any certain goals in what you want to be able to do?

Back