BJJ Ever been embarassed by a girl

My wife nearly subbed me once when we first met training together. After that I started taking her skills more seriously and it never happened again, haha. :icon_lol:

As for Kyra, I seriously doubt she legitimately subs black belts "with ease." Kyra is great, but there's a limit, and it's about a good purple belt. I don't think I've ever bested a competitive brown belt (and few good purples) if he wasn't rolling right at my strength. At black belt, when both grapplers have excellent technique, the deciding factor is size, technique, and strength.

That being said, you shouldn't be embarrassed by tapping to girls. If they get you, well hot damn, isn't that why you signed up for jiu jitsu? I've catch guys every day and I help them out and they're all great sports about it. That's probably, however, because no one at our gym makes fun of anyone for it.

I'm lucky my gym has gotten over this, and I even get a little happy teary eyed when I see some of the guys call me one of their instructors on the internet.

Being not the largest of people, I think it's pretty cool when a smaller person subs a larger one. Even better when it's a girl as they tend to have less strength per lb..

Should a 200lb guy feel embarrassed if a 150lb guy subs him? No? Then what's the issue?

MMA junkie said:
Serious question - Is it sexist to be afraid of hurting a girl though? Not all but a lot of the girls I have rolled with are significantly not as strong so I definitely don't use as much power/force things. I don't think any less of them though.

No, I think one of the main reasons guys are generally more careful when rolling with a girl is because they don't want to be the dbag who hurt the girl, even if it was a legitimate accident.

It's really not fair. Guys usually end up holding back their strength so they won't be accused of powering through the technique, while girls do no such thing. It's easier for them to focus on the roll because they're not worried about putting too much weight on you, or using too much strength. Just the opposite actually.

Just my opinion.

Edit: I think it's worth mentioning that I'm a girl.

Last edited:
Where I do most of my BJJ (UCSD) the girls who come to class don't usually jump in when we roll. If one did, however, and tapped me out... I'd probably ask her out if she's cute.

It's entertaining as hell for you guys to argue how we feel when we roll. Hahaha

How do you ladies feel about guys strength and weight Hillary? I think you're more of an exception to the rule though as you are competitive and higher ranked than most girls. Your skill and my lack of would offset any power advantage I have for sure. :D

I have only rolled with a girl once she didn't sub me, but if anybody was keeping score I am pretty sure she would have beat me on points.

It's really not fair. Guys usually end up holding back their strength so they won't be accused of powering through the technique, while girls do no such thing. It's easier for them to focus on the roll because they're not worried about putting too much weight on you, or using too much strength. Just the opposite actually.

This. I am a small guy, but even I recognize the physical advantage I have when rolling against girls. For me it is impossible to really go at anything more than 50-60%, even against skilled girls. The exception might be is if they get really close to finishing and then the instinct not to get tapped kicks in and I start to hustle my ass a little.

But there is always this fairly awkward "okay, going to try to flow and work technique" but not really committing to anything where the guy is alternately turning it on and getting to a dominant position, then taking the foot way off the gas pedal and giving up dominant position. When two guys roll, they just roll, and they both more than willing to smash, get to a dominant position and finish.

the only thing I HATE about rolling with females, is I seem to always pull out some hair, and I feel like a total dick. sorry, but your hair doesnt stay up while rolling!

I'd be a lot more worried about the fact that I got submitted at all than because it was a girl. Who gives a shit if it was a girl, you got submitted. Work on your defense.

Women should train BJJ because your average rapist isn't going to have a good top game and is going to get choked out or armbarred from the guard. The average person on the street submitting you would be embarrassing. Getting beat in practice or a tournament just means that someone else that trains can beat you.

Girl or guy, your submission defense sucks ass, you get submitted.

I will generally be more careful with girls, but if they have skills I will treat them the same as any guy in the gym.

I have been tapped by a girl before. It was by a very talented and charismatic Korean girl (whilst I was training in Korea). I thought I would take it easier, me being bigger than her. She tapped me in about a minute. I never disrespected her skills again and treated her like any other team mate.

It happens to just about everyone that has ever sparred her. I think she became the head instructor of a gym in Australia when she visited the gym and dominated everybody there.

This morning I got embarassed by a girl at BJJ. She would pull guard every time and she subbed me at least twice in 5 mins. No disrespect to Woman it was just very shocking and i was so embarassed. What should I do and has this ever happened to you. I have never been this embarassed in my life

how about hari kari, that would be very green of you, like a young ed begley jr

Embarrassed? Nope. Destroyed by? Yes.

My 2nd class I rolled with a girl. I thought "okay lets work our technique" and before I knew it she literally pounced on me and had me mounted. I gave up my back and spend the next 5 minutes fighting off a RNC. People would walk by and be like "see you later!" and she would look up and say bye to them with a smile then go back to working on me. Time ran out and I was saved by the bell. :) I learned a valuable lesson that day: don't think too lightly of the girls because they'll getcha!

I had a purple belt female visit our school for a week. She had really good technique and told everyone to not hold back just because she was a girl, and that she could handle herself. By the end of class she was complaining to me that everyone here just out muscles her, and its not fair...

That is just extremely weak sauce. Very much like the guys who can't keep their ego in check when they're injured and will start the roll suggesting you go 50% and then be balls out 100% 30s into the roll.

how about hari kari, that would be very green of you, like a young ed begley jr

dude... It's hara kiri.

No shame in getting tapped by a girl.

Personally, i'm a really big guy (6'2 220) and am pretty strong, so I normally don't roll w/ girls. When I do roll w/ girls (or physically inferior people, in general), I try to start on my back, and i'll normally give them a good position so that I can try to work out of it. I've come pretty close to getting subbed/ been in very bad spots a few times, but never subbed.

I don't think it's necessarily a good idea to abandon all your strength when you're rolling, but it should be toned down, and you should try to be as technical as possible while still getting the job done. IMO, the great thing about good/ technical jiu jitsu is that it really maximizes your strength and ability, using leverage/ gravity/ etc

Serious question - Is it sexist to be afraid of hurting a girl though? Not all but a lot of the girls I have rolled with are significantly not as strong so I definitely don't use as much power/force things. I don't think any less of them though.

Sexist? IMHO, No. Sexist would be not wanting to roll with a girl because she was a girl, or going super easy on her because she was a girl.

I've only been doing this about a month, so take it with a grain of salt, but...when I roll at the club they have at my college, its a lot more of the muscle head crowd and guys that are a lot stronger than me and they tend to use that strength to control me. When I'm at my academy, I've noticed that the guys there aren't all muscles heads and tend to rely on skill and technique more than anything when I roll with them, so I do seem to have an easier time doing well at my academy then out at the club because of not getting muscled.

I try not to mind guys using muscle thought. It does get frustrating thought if a guy is relying on strength and not skill. But I try to use that as motivation to work on my technique so I can out pace the guy.

This morning I got embarassed by a girl at BJJ. She would pull guard every time and she subbed me at least twice in 5 mins. No disrespect to Woman it was just very shocking and i was so embarassed. What should I do and has this ever happened to you. I have never been this embarassed in my life

You lost to better jiu jitsu, as you should. Her gender doesn't make a bit of difference. If you can't get past that, maybe you should find a different sport that's a little kinder on the ego.

Back