BJJ equipment

mikeyy275

White Belt
Reaction score
tomorrow will be my first class of bjj, and kinda wondering what to buy. Other than a mouthguard, you think i would need a gi for my first class. Dont want to spend 120 bucks before even paying for a class.

Oh,don't be surprised if you don't exactly get welcomed in or you feel people are stand-offish,its not personal and will pass with time if you continue training.Good luck.

& when you do buy a gi, there are excellent options under $100. Check out Fuji gis at budovideos.com, for instance. Further options are Sirius, Padilla and Sons . . .

You might want to help break the ice by acknowledging your newb status and recognizing their experience by asking them about the various equipment they have selected and why they like it, etc. Between their input and searching the gear and equipment forums here on Sherdog, you should have all the help you will need.

We welcome guys with no gi to our gi classes if it's their first time or their first couple times even. Makes no sense to spend gi prices if you're not sure you like it.

Once you're sure - get a gi, as mentioned fuji is a good option on the lower end of the price spectrum.

The only piece of a equipment that's not debatable (IMO) is a mouth guard.

I roll without a cup. I can't triangle right or armbar properly with one. I have kids, if the boys get damaged saves me from getting a vasectomy (j/k).

We welcome guys with no gi to our gi classes if it's their first time or their first couple times even. Makes no sense to spend gi prices if you're not sure you like it.

Once you're sure - get a gi, as mentioned fuji is a good option on the lower end of the price spectrum.

I roll without a cup. I can't triangle right or armbar properly with one. I have kids, if the boys get damaged saves me from getting a vasectomy (j/k).

Thanks. Going sunday, kinda nurvous.

Your in Pittsburg, Im taking classes in the wilkes-barre area, NEPA. You know the best place?

Thanks. Going sunday, kinda nurvous.
On this matter...

Nothing to worry about. Out of all the martial arts I've taken (karate, tkd, hapkido, muay thai, kali, bjj) BJJ feels more like a group of friends getting together for a common goal and everyone wants to be there.

There's no mystical maneuvers you have to be a certain belt to be shown, no outright demands for respect - it's earned on the mats. If you have a good attitude and enjoy it and aren't a dick people will respect you and enjoy rolling with you no matter what belt or how many stripes you have or don't have.

I've only had one bad experience in BJJ and it wasnt my class or BJJ's fault - it was some roid/explode/rage freak who was cranking stuff hard and yeah - he's not coming back.

It's fun man - treat it like a group of friends you know you're going to like before you've met them and you'll have a blast.

Back