Bjj-->Brazil, Judo-->Japan, Muay Thai -->Thailand, Wrestling --> ???

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Galahad, Aug 15, 2010.

1. Galahad

Galahad Orange Belt

So I've been to Japan and trained judo, wanna eventually make my way to Brazil and Thailand (should be hitting them both sometime soon).

My question is, where can one go for high level wrestling training? I mean specifically freestyle and greco. Wrestling seems rooted in high level competition, so I can't imagine most countries letting someone who's only had some high school folkstyle experience walk in and practice with them.

Also I really love traveling....so I'd rather go somewhere overseas.

The only places I can think of off the top of my head are Russia and Iran. Iran seems a bit dangerous for an American right now though.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

2. SKizzit**

SKizzit** Purple Belt

durrrrrr....

3. SuperSuperRambo

SuperSuperRambo Senior Moderator Senior Moderator

I take it from the fact that you've done folkstyle that you live in the U.S. We have produced some world champions, you know. We might not be the #1 country in the world in terms of medal count, but you can sure as hell find elite world class wrestling training in the U.S.

Yeah, you can go to Russia, they have great wrestling as well, but it's probably all state-sponsored teams that don't let in outsiders. That's the issue with wrestling, it's purely a competition sport with teams, and unless you're affiliated with a high school, college, or national-level team, there aren't many training options. If you're in your mid 20's, you can't really take up wrestling for the sake of wrestling.

4. Galahad

Galahad Orange Belt

Yes from the US. It's not that I can't find good wrestling here, it's just that I really enjoy traveling and experiencing combat sports in other countries. I'd love to do it with fs/greco as well.

5. Galahad

Galahad Orange Belt

what?

6. Rod1

Rod1 Titanium Belt

Cuba, its cheap, they will let you go anywhere as long as the price is right, they will want to tear you a new one for being a snob American, they won't stamp your passport so no chance of Homeland security trying to arrest you for traveling to Iran or Russia.

Cuba also has a GREAT judo team that its very different from Japanese, they are much more raw and brutal, and have great explosive newaza.

Plus again, Cuba is cheap.

7. knoxpk

knoxpk Black Belt

I actually googled over seas wrestling camps and they have one in in the ukraine I think. I am sure that it is largely HS kids going there but there are some beasts in that part of the world. I am sure they would be glad to take your money and let you train with them for a week.

8. Ivaylo Ivanov

Ivaylo Ivanov FICW President

Bulgaria.
    Olympic calibre wrestlers and you also get to train with bunch of current Combat Sambo world champions.

9. Galahad

Galahad Orange Belt

You mean goto Cuba for wrestling or use Cuba as a jumping point to another country?

I'd rather not doing anything illegal and unsafe. I just want to visit another country, experience it for a few months, and do some wrestling. Come on guys don't get me killed here.

10. Galahad

Galahad Orange Belt

Hm...that sounds interesting. And I'm positive those HS kids would destroy me as well.

11. Rod1

Rod1 Titanium Belt

Cuba has great wrestlers and judoka too.

Cuba its also very safe.

12. Galahad

Galahad Orange Belt

Do they have clubs one can just walk into and practice, and where they teach and so forth?

13. CyberFreq

CyberFreq Blue Belt

Russia, Cuba, Iran, and America come to mind as the top wrestling-countries.

I also think that FS is huge in Sweden.

14. SuperSuperRambo

SuperSuperRambo Senior Moderator Senior Moderator

Ah, I hear ya. Kind of like a globetrotting training expedition. I would love to do something like that (if I had the time and money, haha). Russia might be good, or perhaps some of the other Eastern European countries, which tend to have excellent wrestling.

Someone suggested Cuba, but there might be some serious travel restrictions in that case, I'm not sure.

15. Rod1

Rod1 Titanium Belt

Explain, Cuba its pretty much safe and they really need tourists for international currency. Its currently illegal as American to travel to Cuba, that's why they don't stamp passports.

I know plenty of people who have gone there to train or vacation. Cuba has the advantage of the state exerting a strong control on security to make the place good for tourism, its not like Cuba its a corridor for drugs or human trafficking like certain Mexican cities. The place is safe.

16. td82394

td82394 Brown Belt

Iowa. Or Russia. Or you can be weird and learn sumo in Japan. duh-DUH-Duh-duh-DUH-Duh... OO-OH-OH!

17. padirk165

padirk165 Yellow Belt

Russia, AZE,Turkey - not sure how to find out training club info in those places tho
    the biggest tourn of the year that isnt worlds or Oly is in Baku, AZE

In the US there are some pretty good Greco training locations, for Freestyle the training is largely spread out with collegiate programs. For freestyle in the US you can try Team Overtime outside of chicago. They have just expanded into an MMA training facility as well so you would be able to train everything else there as well. They might also be able to tell you more about finding an overseas training site as the coaches there travel with the US national wrestling team quite a bit.
    Overtime MMA: MMA Gym in Naperville, IL | Wrestling, Mixed Martial Arts (MMA), Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Grappling, Muay Thai Kickboxing, Boxing, Weight Training, Weight Loss, and Fitness in the Chicago, IL Area
    Overtime School of Wrestling | Naperville, IL and Crystal Lake, IL

18. MMAViking

MMAViking Orange Belt

19. Galahad

Galahad Orange Belt

20. Galahad

Galahad Orange Belt

Lol, so far I've been lucky in having connections. My college had a huge international student program and I made quite a few friends. I will say though, when I travel I live like a freaking hobo.