BJJ blackbelts that have been submitted by non-BJJ blackbelts?

Talkin´about Hoyce & SAKU, Im not really interested in your personal beef with BJJ tbh...

No beef here lol

Just pointing out or replying to the fact that you got to train all four combat zones hence the thread....

BJJ blackbelts that have been submitted by non-BJJ blackbelts?

You can't just rely on BJJ you need tools and train in all disciplines!

Places that offer training in MMA covering all four combat zones is where its at!

Then add top physical fitness, stamina, strength, flexibility, speed, cardio so on.

Never mind!

Last edited:
This has happened a shitload of times. Hughes himself actually has done it, but not against Gracie. Against Almeida.

The craziest example of this in my mind was Mackens Semerzier subbing Wagney Fabiano. Fabiano later got subbed by Benevidez too which took a little of the shine of it, but at the time it was mind-blowing. This dude who had fought MMA for a year triangled a guy who was considered on the same BJJ level as Maia, Jacare, etc. Triangled. It was insane.

dont think these were mentioned: overeem guillotined vitor, pettis guillotined melendez, cant remember names but in early japan mma a russian leglocked and tapped a bjj bb
Can't remember but I did remember Igor zinoviev vs Mario Sperry.

how people can forget purple belt cole miller submitting 4th degree blackbelt jorge gurgel with a triangle choke. it was amazing
i always found it strange that gurgel spent so little time on the ground during his ufc career. he seemed to always want to bang. i wonder if it was bad knees (hard to shoot), a low fight IQ, or smtg else.

Wagnney fabiano got subbed in WEC. I was surprised since he was pretty good. I seen him train before and he can wrestle for a BJJ guy ten years ago

Any black belts revoked?

"You embarrassed me, son."
What you do in competition against other professionals cannot have negative baring on your ranking. Belt status has everything to do with your knowledge of the craft and your ability to teach others that craft.

Yoshida submitted Royce Gracie in their grappling bout in PRIDE, causing the Gracie family to riot because the ref was only supposed to stop it after the towel was thrown in or something.

Kevin Burns (when he was a blue belt) triangle'd Roan Carneiro
Joseph Benavidez subbed Miguel Torres a couple years after Torres got his black belt
Urijah Faber won via guillotine against Jeff Curan, and also subbed Raphael Assunção

Gegard Mousasi triangle'd Denis Kang
Masakazu Imanari (aka the japanese Palhares) heel hook'd Jorge Gurgel
Cole Miller also subbed Gurgel before he got his black belt IIRC

Clay Guida sub'd RDA, but it was a special case since he already had a badly broken jaw caused by punches before Guida started to choke him...

I'll probably think of others later...

Last edited:
Kopylov vs Castelo Branco
SAKU vs Conan etc
Aldo vs Azevedo

George Gracie vs Wladek Zbyszko (armlock).[1934]
George Gracie vs Yassuiti Ono (choke). [1937]

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/the-day-takeo-yano-george-gracie-both-went-lights-out-22.3881991/
kinda awkward to ask, so I won’t, but

always been curious if this is your first account on here. You don’t seem like the type to get banned, so I guess I’m just surprised that such a diehard fan like you could only find this place last year

either way, I’m glad you’re here

Back