BJJ blackbelts that have been submitted by non-BJJ blackbelts?

Faber subbed Assuncao, Ivan Menjiva,r and Michael Macdonald. Faber was a brown or so at that time if I recall.

Cub Swanson was submitted by Holloway. Pettis submitted Bendo.

And dont forget Rothwell subbing Josh Barnett.

how people can forget purple belt cole miller submitting 4th degree blackbelt jorge gurgel with a triangle choke. it was amazing

I think it should be subbing a black belt when the fighter isn’t one AND DID SO without employing strikes immediately before to get it....

That’s a more true submission since you “Caught” the person.

There are a lot of times a fighter could have simply ground & pounded their way to a TKO but took the submission since it was wide open. I could tap a world champion if you let me rain punches on their face for a couple minutes, it’s not really “Tapping them” IMO.

Last edited:
02rn4yimdov01.gif

honorable mention
Pettis-vs-Handerson-submission-UFC164-1.gif
That one was great because he came out in his new black belt during the walkouts and got submitted first round.

Jake Matthews subbed Vagner Rocha when he was a purple or brown belt.

Can't recall this ever happening. I remember Hughes nearly submitted Gracie but it ended up being a TKO. Bones has submitted a few BJJ blackbelts but not sure if he is one himself or not.
Hughes also choked Ricardo Almeida completely unconscious.

pretty sure he was a black belt since the chute boxe days. So, under...Nino? Or Cristiano Marcello? I'm sure someone like @gono btw knows.
Correct. Antonio Shembri gave Shogun his Black belt after the Arona victory.

MM submitted Wilson Reis
Matt Serra submitted GSP (Gracie black belt)

Umm, he was tko’d officially even though we all saw him tap to strikes but that wasn’t a grappling submission, that was tapping to strikes, aka verbal submission.

Correct. Antonio Shembri gave Shogun his Black belt after the Arona victory.

ya i didn't know if Nino was still the coach then because I know he was a few years before that and I know that Cristiano came on around somewhere around that time too I believe.

As great as all the rivalries in MMA are today, there was nothing like Btt vs Chute Boxe.

Probably happens quite often with the Happy meal belts spread across MMA

This.
Visit and train at a legit bjj gym and see what sort of skill blackbelts really have. Once you do that it becomes easy to spot the McBlackbelt even taking into consideration the mma part of it. At my gym most people go two years before blue and then often up to five years to get purple , and thats people with decent skill. ( purple takes the longest though )

Benavidez guillotined Fabiano who is a 5th degree black belt. Not sure if Benavidez is ranked in BJJ.

Mackens Semerzier submitted Wagnney Fabiano in a massive upset.

Back