BJJ Beginner: Is doing both Gi and No-Gi Classes a bad idea?

neddac

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Should I stick with one or do both or the exercise and focus on one further down the line?

Thanks in advance!!

Nogi will almost certainly feel easier at first, because you'll be able to escape just from being slippery. That can feel rewarding. Then, as you learn how to use gi grips and chokes, that will become easier and you'll realize you need to learn more nogi stuff too. At least that's my experience after 9 months of doing both in equal amounts.

Nogi will almost certainly feel easier at first, because you'll be able to escape just from being slippery. That can feel rewarding. Then, as you learn how to use gi grips and chokes, that will become easier and you'll realize you need to learn more nogi stuff too. At least that's my experience after 9 months of doing both in equal amounts.

ur nogi partners must suck

As stated do both! The gi helps you learn to take things slow and keep things tight. No gi teaches you to play a game that is not dependent on the gi. They complement each other very well.

It’s also harder to attack innno gi... most gi noobs hate no gi because they can’t stall, don’t know what to do and have no grips...

I think it depends on your style, there’s people who adapt much better to no gi and people who adapt much better to gi. Explosive athletes will have an easier time in no gi, defending, but attacking is a whole other issue

Both. People who only do one for the first year or two usually don't ever try the other because they feel like they are starting over. Do both from the start. Aspects of each game will translate and complement the other.

I recommend doing both. There are quite a few techniques that translate from one to the other. NoGi teaches you that you don't nee to always have to be holding on to something. A lot of Noobs have to always grip the Gi and burn their forearms out.

At first I wasn't a fan of NoGi but I've grown to enjoy the fast pace and the challenge of trying to execute a technique of a sweaty individual.

Last edited:
Doing more classes in both is better then doing less classes in one.
With the same number of classes doing just gi is better as it's easier to do something correctly in the gi.

do them both. you eventually find out what one you enjoy doing the most. do that one more, but I suggest being proficient in both.

Do both because both are fun. As others have said the more you train the better.

Both for sure, in general the more mat time tye better.

Do both so you can beat people up in both summer and winter time.

I'll have to disagree with most people here. As a white belt, your slow underdevelopped brain might get overwhelmed by the differences between both disciplines. You might get nosebleeds and an aneurysm, and then die. Safety first!

If you have the time, do both. You lucky bastard. It's taken me most of the year rearranging my work shifts to the point where I can take one Gi class per week.

I don't think the guys in the Mundails are going to be loosing too much sleep over me:)

Doing both is fine, doing nogi only at first is fine too. Doing gi only or predominantly gi is not ok.

Back