BJJ Basics

Podgorny

Green Belt
Reaction score
We hear all the time, "If you neglect the fundamentals/basics, your game will have massive holes." Just as the title implies. every instructor has his or her own ciriculum, however I want to discuss your opinions on what the raw, bare basics of jiu jitsu really are. What techniques do you guys (or girls) think is the absolute essential basics of this fine art? The techniques which every player MUST continue to practice and perfect in order to maintain a solid game. Whether it be passes, transitions, set-up's, sweeps, submissions, guards, etc. Everybody has their own opinion, however I expect most of you have very similar beleifs. Discuss.

When i think about it , i'd say you'd have the basics down , when you know at least one submission / escape / sweep from every position.

When there wont be a moment when you don't know what to do.

The concept of shrimping and the technical stand up, which is nothing more than really big "shrimp" if you think about it.

It's everywhere.

W The techniques which every player MUST continue to practice and perfect in order to maintain a solid game. Whether it be passes, transitions, set-up's, sweeps, submissions, guards, etc. Everybody has their own opinion, however I expect most of you have very similar beleifs. Discuss.

I do not think they are any!

Everyone has their own game and it keeps evolving as well.

I am really into my transition from DRL to sit up guard at the moment.

7 years ago, I was really into scissor sweep.

I think it is important to understand and use leverage in any or every techniques you use.

shrimping
upa
Elbow escape

There's a lot more but these come to mind first

Last edited:
Posture, base, balance and how those things apply to leverage. The techniques are all just expressions of this as determined by whatever philosophy of grappling one has.

I started a thread about this a while ago... not a ton of luck
http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f12/basics-1275919/

I would like to add "pressure"... it's one of the main things I've been focusing on lately. Especially passing guard. You must ALWAYS have some form of pressure. You can get it from your shin, the hand, knee, foot, shoulder, whatever, but except in split second moments where you pull back for a bullfighter pass or something there should be constant pressure. It's really a feel thing, though.

Back