BJJ at Revolution Martial Arts in Langley

Kimbo's Beard

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I am looking to try some BJJ classes. I have never trained before and looking for a gym in my area. I went by Revolution Martial Arts in Langley and they had a really nice gym and seem friendly. I was wondering if anyone had any experience at the gym. Dave Rothwell teaches there and I think Bibiano Fernandes has done some teaching there as well.

Any other gyms in the Greater Vancouver area that would be good for a newbie starting out? Thanks in advance.

I've only tried out a couple free BJJ trial classes at Revolution. Everybody there has a cool attitude, it's a really nice looking gym as well.

The instruction for the BJJ classes was 10 minutes of cardio, 30 minutes of tuition and 20 minutes of rolling.

For BJJ though, Marcus Soares teaches just down the street (literally). I'm going to check out his class today. Apparently there is 30 minutes of cardio, 45 minutes tuition and 45 minutes of rollling...plus it's all with Marcus Soares.

Price wise Marcus Soares' gym is A LOT better than Revolution. Soares charges $80/month for 6 hours/week, while Revolution charges $135/month for 4hours/week of just BJJ (they recently dropped Wrestling). Another possibly important note is that Marcus Soares does not put you on a contract.

Edit: Marcus Soares charges $120/month.

I went to Soares' gym today and the class was great. The cardio is very strenuous and you have to be in amazing shape to be able to complete all 30 minutes of it...I don't think anybody there actually did it all.

Everybody at the gym is great, very friendly people and Marcus Soares is easily approachable and loves to answer questions in the 45 minutes of tuition...it seems as though he has an answer for everything.

After talking to a bunch of the guys belts and stripes are not easy to come by and a blue belt at Marcus' gym is worth a lot more than a blue belt at another gym. I believe Marcus uses a 4 or 5 stripe system as well.

Bottom line, if you're looking for BJJ and you live in the lower mainland, you're doing it with Soares or you're not getting what you pay for.

Back