BJJ Army Style

You mean if I join the army I get to do jiu jitsu and get paid?!?!?!

WHERE DO I SIGN UP!

You mean if I join the army I get to do jiu jitsu and get paid?!?!?!

WHERE DO I SIGN UP!

If you join and are ridiculously good at an Olympic art, maybe. My old TKD instructor was in the Air Force and the majority of his time was spent doing TKD stuff.

This is what we did in my army combative course. I was the only one who trained bjj, so ppl were amazed I submitted 10 ppl so easily lol.

Looks like fun, but I saw a lot of piss poor technique.. hardly looks like Jiu-jitsu

We used to do fun competitions like this in the Marines. It builds comradery and is pretty damn fun. The Marine corps has it's own style and belt system known as MCMAP. That being said, I saw a decent blue belt school a MCMAP black belt with ease.

Looks like every noob's first day of BJJ.

looks like a team jiu jitsu, we do this sometimes, its fun as hell

yeah we do it sometimes and call it hooligans

in judo we do it from the knees with the sole purpose of turning the others over, bulldog it is called

in bjj it is anything goes

I was attached to the 101st during my last Iraq rotation and I was told that certain Commanders there would put on exercises like this on a large scale. We are talking 50+ if not more folks doing combatives at the same time. Would love to get in on something like that...

wait..did I actually see guys hold a guy down while someone came and started attacking him?

wait..did I actually see guys hold a guy down while someone came and started attacking him?

yeah it's a last team standing type of deal. we always say the person who wins in the unarmed combat fight is whosoever buddy shows up first.....

it doesnt look much like BJJ because it's not. you've got such a huge turn over rate in the army (the majority of soldiers only do one enlistment of three to four years) that it really inst practical to spend a huge amount of time and money training someone to teach the program. so the army has taken a few very basic gracie jj moves and come up with a three week program (level's one and two of a four level program) to teach other soldiers how to smartly defend themselves without a weapon.

lucky some people take the program and run with it... it inspired me to find a bjj gym and add outside training to what the army's taught me and i've loved it ever since. it was a bitch to unlearn all my bad habbits though.... i got a little bit of cauliflower ear in each ear from months of getting triangled ha! anyway here's a video of a competition my unit put on right after i left.

Last edited:
Soldiers look like they're roughing it and not much BJJ...But remember, soldiers train to kill. In a life or death situation, the last person I would want to fight is a soldier....

looks fun.

looks like a pretty injury prone place ! :)

We used to do fun competitions like this in the Marines. It builds comradery and is pretty damn fun. The Marine corps has it's own style and belt system known as MCMAP. That being said, I saw a decent blue belt school a MCMAP black belt with ease.

Yeah it seems a bit limited. My lil bro is in the Army, seems like the military combatives are preety limited, I guess you could get to be a Blue at best in em. Mostly it's just young guys wrestling, with some know how about subs.

Back