1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

BJJ and the wrestlers who love her!

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Ballzilla, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Ballzilla

Ballzilla Yellow Belt

Some may know I have been training BJJ for 3 weeks now. I have a very loooooooong wrestling background prior to my training so I'm not entirely new to rolling around on the ground with sweaty men. The adaptability of BJJ to it's practicioner is utterly amazing! I wish I had heard of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu when I was 6 (when I started wrestling) because I never would have wrestled a day in my life. I'm 5'8" and sitting now at 235 lbs (was 270 but that's a different thread). Needless to say my legs are very short and I have a hell of a time closing my guard at times. Even when I do close it, it's tough to stay closed for long. In my privates and my normal classes I have come to fall in love with half-guard both top and bottom. It isn't a strain for me to close my guard and I feel my options are limitless. That being said, I work very hard on all postions and choose to train out of bad spots during open mat so I can get a nice, well-rounded game going. I hear many folks are one-trick ponies and I refuse to wind up in that boat but FUCK I love half-guard! I have alos noticed others who started with me or before beginning to find their niche and what works for them. It's really an awesome sight to see and be a part of. I have no clue how on Earth people quit. I already am completely in love with this sport.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go jerk-off.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2010
  2. armtriangle

armtriangle Brown Belt

I felt the same way when I started. Was a life-long wrestler, and I felt robbed when I discovered bjj.

After a club wrestling parctice I stumbled in on a few bjj guys rolling around, asked if I could join, got triangled, flailed wildly, and have not wrestled since. I was like "THIS is what I always wanted wrestling to be..."

You can adapt your style to your build in wrestling too... but I just find bjj to be so much more dynamic, so many more positions and options... if something is not working you can completely change your strategy and attack something entirely different.

That said, I still love wrestling, but prefer it as a spectator now.

3. fourfif**

fourfif** Banned Banned

Dude that's exactly what happened to me! Right down to the triangle, lol.

We should rename this thread "BJJ and the Wrestlers Who Love Her"

4. juji gatame**

juji gatame** Brown Belt

Do you train gi or no gi?

5. armtriangle

armtriangle Brown Belt

^ I am sure you are talking to TS, but I train both, but primarily in the gi. Probably 80-90% gi. Always in teh gi, unless a no-gi comp is coming up or a partner has an MMA fight approaching, then we all shed the pj's for teh good of the fighter. I vastly prefer the gi game though.

6. Ballzilla

Ballzilla Yellow Belt

Both. I don't see the point of choosing one over the other. I think it would hinder your experience and your growth. Just a guess though. We'll find out with time what it does to mine.

7. armtriangle

armtriangle Brown Belt

No kidding? Right down the the wrestling practice??

8. An end for

An end for Purple Belt

BJJ is not a her! It's a him! It's a boy! A menininho, not a menininha! Hence why pink gis are strictly for the use of Kyra and Gene Lebell.

9. Hellboy31

Hellboy31 Brown Belt

BJJ uma cachorro preto.

Sorry, just picked up Rosetta Stone last week.

10. curb1850

curb1850 Green Belt

lol, shed the pjs...

11. Hellboy31

Hellboy31 Brown Belt

Fcuk yeah brother! No gi or die...

GTFO of here with that bullshit.

12. armtriangle

armtriangle Brown Belt

A. Pajamas are awesome. I enjoyed them as a kid, and I enjoy them now, as an adult in bjj.

B. I hope you are not calling gi training bullshit. Gi is awesome in and of itself as it's own game, and until proven otherwise, equal to or superior to no gi in learning bjj (superior IMO, but I suppose it is debateable).

13. Ballzilla

Ballzilla Yellow Belt

There's a huge gi vs no-gi thread going on right now. Let's keep that argument over there.......or atleast until another one surfaces tomorrow.