BJJ and Strength training on the same day?

KnightTemplar

Green(Goblin)Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Anyone done this? Sometimes it's difficult due to work etc for me to find separate days for BJJ and weights. While it's far from ideal, I was thinking of doing a BJJ class, then lifting afterwards; the gym and the dojo are literally just across the road from each other.

If bjj is your main priority i would do BJJ first, then lift second as you said.

If strength training is your priority i would lift, then go to BJJ if your schedule allows

I do my boxing and then come home and lift once a week, and one of my off days from boxing is my 2nd lifting day of the week.

Strength is not my priority at the moment as i spent the last 7 years powerlifting, so just focusing on the boxing is key for me while maintaining some strength.

At this point, I think you can build up the work capacity for almost anything. I remember I ran the one lift a day program years back, and I thought it was way too taxing as I couldn't recover. I'm now lifting everyday without problems.

At this point, I think you can build up the work capacity for almost anything. I remember I ran the one lift a day program years back, and I thought it was way too taxing as I couldn't recover. I'm now lifting everyday without problems.
Work capacity can definitely be increased to handle most things we throw at our bodies as long as we take diet and recovery seriously.

Which order you train bjj/weights will have an impact in how well you can do both though. If youre training bjj hard can you go to the gym and do the same weights as you would had you not done bjj first? Not likely..and could you put the same effort into BJJ if you lifted before? Again not as likely.

So its serving two masters and you should pick which one has priority and do that first IMO. that doesnt have to be permanent...you could prioritize your strength training 6 months of the year and bjj the ither 6

I would base it on how I feel. Lifting after 90 minutes of a difficult skilled training session of any type has me feeling like I'm spinning my wheels and wasting time in the weight room. If you feel like you're still maintaining strength or gaining strength by lifting after BJJ then keep doing it. Personally that doesn't work for me. I feel more productive lifting first and then relying on my skill to carry me through my next activity.

This might be of some relevance

Lifting before bjj can actually help you develop technique and endurance while bjj before lifting will have you lifting after having your limbs & joints cranked on, back and neck torqued and compressed.

How do you guys feel about deadlifting and bjj on the sameday say deadlifting in the morning bjj in the evening?

How do you guys feel about deadlifting and bjj on the sameday say deadlifting in the morning bjj in the evening?

Should be fine, depends on your recovery protocols and volume of other training throughout the week, amongst other variables - age, training history, what you do for work (or physical job) etc.

I was lifting in the morning and doing judo in the evenings, for me it didn't work out great, I now reserve the day just for judo. I would think it's fair to say that judo is perhaps a little more physical than BJJ with all the break falling, impact from throws etc though. Before anyone starts, I am NOT saying judo is "better" than BJJ, just a little harder on the body, especially as one advances in years.

Should be fine, depends on your recovery protocols and volume of other training throughout the week, amongst other variables - age, training history, what you do for work (or physical job) etc.

I was lifting in the morning and doing judo in the evenings, for me it didn't work out great, I now reserve the day just for judo. I would think it's fair to say that judo is perhaps a little more physical than BJJ with all the break falling, impact from throws etc though. Before anyone starts, I am NOT saying judo is "better" than BJJ, just a little harder on the body, especially as one advances in years.
Ok I will give it a try tomorrow thanks

I've been doing it for 7 years. I work nights and get an hour a day to work out. I do BJJ from noon-1, lift heavy + extra conditioning at some point during my 3p-1a shift 3-4 days a week. I'll get a good hike or run in 1-2x a week as well. I'm lucky that I literally get paid to workout though so time is less an issue.

It’s rough but I do this. BJJ in the morning and lifting on Sun/Tue/Thur.

Glenn Pendlay has a decent routine for MMA/grappling, he’s one of the few guys that realized we are lifting to improve our grappling strength, not improve our numbers. If I’m feeling particularly energetic on my lifting days I’ll add in a bit of assistance work.

Edit: Wendler has a very similar view on it, this is a good article to read:

https://www.bjjee.com/articles/how-to-modify-wendlers-531-powerlifting-routine-for-grapplers/

Very good feedback in here, lads. Thank you.

Hespect:)

Last edited:
It’s rough but I do this. BJJ in the morning and lifting on Sun/Tue/Thur.

Glenn Pendlay has a decent routine for MMA/grappling, he’s one of the few guys that realized we are lifting to improve our grappling strength, not improve our numbers. If I’m feeling particularly energetic on my lifting days I’ll add in a bit of assistance work.

Edit: Wendler has a very similar view on it, this is a good article to read:

https://www.bjjee.com/articles/how-to-modify-wendlers-531-powerlifting-routine-for-grapplers/

I haven't seen this posted in here so I figured I'd mention it - Glenn Pendlay passed away last week. I didn't even know he was sick.

I haven't seen this posted in here so I figured I'd mention it - Glenn Pendlay passed away last week. I didn't even know he was sick.

Damn didn’t know that either. RIP.

Anyone done this? Sometimes it's difficult due to work etc for me to find separate days for BJJ and weights. While it's far from ideal, I was thinking of doing a BJJ class, then lifting afterwards; the gym and the dojo are literally just across the road from each other.

been having the same troubles bro. BJJ is a weird cross training workout because its like lifting weights at a 100% while jogging with bursts of sprinting. there's times when i go against competition heavyweight purples browns and black belts that i feel more thrashed then when i lift really hard. such is life

been having the same troubles bro. BJJ is a weird cross training workout because its like lifting weights at a 100% while jogging with bursts of sprinting. there's times when i go against competition heavyweight purples browns and black belts that i feel more thrashed then when i lift really hard. such is life

Yeah, I find a hard session of rolling much tougher than most lifting days. When I'm lifting, even if I'm working at close to my max, I can set my own pace and control the intensity somewhat. If I'm rolling, especially against someone better than me(most people, to be honest)I have to respond to what they are doing, or I get tapped.

That is exactly what Chad Wesley Smith recommends. He takes it a bit further and recommends combining heavy lifting days with hard rolling days, highlighting the importance of easy/rest days.

Personally, if I was combining lifting and BJJ, I would lift in the morning, have the proper meals to replenish glycogen stores, and roll at night. There shouldn't be so much volume and intensity in your strength program that it negatively impact your BJJ; stick to a few basics and rotate variations.

That is exactly what Chad Wesley Smith recommends. He takes it a bit further and recommends combining heavy lifting days with hard rolling days, highlighting the importance of easy/rest days.

Personally, if I was combining lifting and BJJ, I would lift in the morning, have the proper meals to replenish glycogen stores, and roll at night. There shouldn't be so much volume and intensity in your strength program that it negatively impact your BJJ; stick to a few basics and rotate variations.

Thanks for the video, man. I'll watch it later.

I was going to train tonight, but I've come down with a head cold. While I don't mind training through it - I actually find it helps to sweat it out - it's regarded as very bad form at my academy, as you might pass it on to other students.

of course we do fuk whe i train for afight i train bjj 5 days a week always 4 days a week of boxing 2 days a week of lifting and 2 days of conditinng

monday - lifting 5 am ,squats ohp,clean jerks, bjj 5-7 boxing 715-9

tuesday 5 am, conditioning 10 hard hill sprints of big hill. 5-7 bjj/mma grappling boxing 7-9

wednesday wrestling from 5-6 6-8 bjj/mma grappling

thursday same as tuesday

friday same as monday but dead lifts and bench

saturday drilling mma techniques

i make sure to get all that in but i also will do mma sparring techniques with the guys too but thats not really a class more of open class

the reason o do it this way is cause the towns pro boxing team only does boxing obviously so if im doing everything they are plus my lifting conditiong and grappling on top of it im going to be in great shape come fight day

Back