Bjj and Muay Thai training question

Gumby39

White Belt
Reaction score
IM sure everyone is tired of that guy who asks about training and such, but i've been looking around on google, as well as Sherdog, but still have yet to find an exact answer. I'm 18 and looking to get into MMA full time. Iv'e been an Ice hockey goalie competitively for the last 13 years, but due to getting really sick last year I decided to change directions in sports. This up coming week I'm starting Bjj classes with Marcelo Pereira pretty well known from what I've heard, could be wrong. Also I am doing Muay Thai with American Top Team. I will be doing wrestling 1-2 times a week as well. I'm 5'8 121lb, was 155lb before getting sick last year. So im in the process of gaining the weight back.

Two questions:
1. I plan to train 5-6 days a week about 3-4 hours a day. How should I divide training days? Bjj is available 7 days a week. Muay Thai is available 3 days a week I believe. Wrestling i believe 2 days.

2. Next, how long of BJJ and Muay Thai should i train before starting actual MMA training. I understand you basically combine Bjj, Muay Thai, Wrestling, boxing, etc into MMA training, but i'd like to get an idea of how long i should train these 3 before dedicating to mainly MMA training. Want to get a good grasp of each before.

All advice, comments, and such is seriously appreciated. Money and time isn't an issue just for a reference.

IM sure everyone is tired of that guy who asks about training and such, but i've been looking around on google, as well as Sherdog, but still have yet to find an exact answer. I'm 18 and looking to get into MMA full time. Iv'e been an Ice hockey goalie competitively for the last 13 years, but due to getting really sick last year I decided to change directions in sports. This up coming week I'm starting Bjj classes with Marcelo Pereira pretty well known from what I've heard, could be wrong. Also I am doing Muay Thai with American Top Team. I will be doing wrestling 1-2 times a week as well. I'm 5'8 121lb, was 155lb before getting sick last year. So im in the process of gaining the weight back.

Two questions:
1. I plan to train 5-6 days a week about 3-4 hours a day. How should I divide training days? Bjj is available 7 days a week. Muay Thai is available 3 days a week I believe. Wrestling i believe 2 days.

2. Next, how long of BJJ and Muay Thai should i train before starting actual MMA training. I understand you basically combine Bjj, Muay Thai, Wrestling, boxing, etc into MMA training, but i'd like to get an idea of how long i should train these 3 before dedicating to mainly MMA training. Want to get a good grasp of each before.

All advice, comments, and such is seriously appreciated. Money and time isn't an issue just for a reference.

If you're just starting, I wouldn't put a timeline or specific schedule to it because everyone is different. Just try all the classes, and you will figure out for yourself which style(s) work for you.

If you are consistent and are applying yourself in training, tell your coaches you're interested in MMA and they will set you up when they think you're ready. At the place I trained at, the coach (BJJ/MMA fighter) wanted his students to be at least blue belt before training them for MMA, and I think that's a good general guideline.

Appreciate the response! Yeah, I had no intentions of getting into MMA training right away. I had the idea if i can get at least blue belt like you mentioned, it may be a good time to start. Will more than likely go that direction!

I was in your mindset too when I first started. "I'm going to train everyday 2+ hours a day" I stopped after a week and now I'm training every other day. But you might be different since you're young and you might be taking recovery drinks.

My advice is take the classes then you will see what you need.

You can be a very effective fighter training everything at once, just don't expect to get really skilled and authentic at anything (and there's nothing wrong with that, everyone has different aims).

I started out in Muay Thai, trained MMA for some time and returned to Muay Thai for good when I started to feel that I lack basics and real knowledge in pretty much all the arts that I was "taught" as an MMA practitioner.

Everyone has his own taste, but I just love the feeling of dedicating myself to one art and getting to know its traditions, techniques and history. Never did I love Muay Thai so much before I left it for MMA, even despite the fact that I admit that MMA is closer to a "real fight" IMO.

Last edited:
Yeah i take quite few supplements, but i totally understand where you are coming from. With my schedule with work and school. I have ton's of time to dedicate. I agree though. I just wanted to get the advice now just so i know when the time comes. Really appreciate the response and advice!

Back