BJJ and Muai thai schools in ottawa?

issanaber

White Belt
Reaction score
I heard that there are two good BJJ and Muai thai schools in ottawa oama and carlos machado bjj who do you guys think is the best BJJ and Muai thai school in ottawa
And did any of you heard about the Carlos Machado BJJ School.

OAMA but i'm biased. I've only heard of Machado's school from ads around the internet. You should try out both though so you can have an opinion on both. You may not like the atmosphere of any of these schools (but HOW CAN YOU NOT LIKE OAMA?!)

ottawa academy of martial arts has ottawa's only ufc fighter. we also have a cage to train mma in. the bjj program is legit, we have renzo gracie's first canadian black belt, the brown belt instructor has beaten legit guys like ryan hall, we had braulio estima and roger gracie over for a seminar and often have seminars or similar quality, and we always do great in tournaments. the muay thai instructors are very experienced. best bet would be to try it out.

Do u know the fees if i wanna train both muay thai and BJJ

I think it's like 130-150 for both. This was about year ago so it might've raised.

the bjj program is legit, we have renzo gracie's first canadian black belt, the brown belt instructor has beaten legit guys like ryan hall

I have no idea why people from your school continue mention this. Matt Hache (the guy String Bean is referencing) was 4-1 against Ryan as a blue belt, but went 0-3 against him as a purple (including being RNC'ed by Ryan). Since their last match, Ryan has gone on to win the worlds at purple, medal at the worlds at brown, win the USA ADCC trials, submit a ton of black belts as a purple and brown, and take 3rd at ADCC while Matt has done nothing significant.

Beating the blue belt version of a high-level black belt (with the last win coming in early 2006) is completely irrelevant, particularly when said now-high-level person had only been training for a year and a half at the time. You don't hear people trying to build their reputation by talking up a win over Bill Cooper when he was 15, do you?

There's 4 well known MMA schools in Ottawa producing fighters and regulary competing.

OAMA - Ottawa Academy of Martial Arts - Jiu Jitsu, Muay Thai Kickboxing, Mixed Martial Arts (MMA), Kettlebell Power Training
Ronin - Welcome to Ronin Mixed Martial Arts - Ottawa's premier Martial Arts School
Fit MMA - FIT MMA - Ottawa MMA - Ottawa's MMA School MMA, Submission Wrestling, Muay Thai
Team Bushido - Flash Intro Page

I just found this BJJ club if your in the east end run by some purple belts (site is still in its infancy) COALITION MARTIAL ARTS - Coalition Martial Arts

For Muay Thai there's www.n1thai.com (formerly Bob Carvers thai boxing acadamy. One of his students runs it now).

Another great striking school which is virtual unknown, small and inexpensive is Neak Ta Pradal Serey (Camodian Boxing which predates Muay Thai. They work alot in the clinch) Sam Lok Neak Ta Pradal-Serey - Khmer Martial Arts

I'm curious about that Machado place (K2?) too. Anybody here that tried it out? They don't show any training schedule or list any instructors on their website either which I find kind of weird. Anyone with any info or experiences to share from this place?

I'm curious about that Machado place (K2?) too. Anybody here that tried it out? They don't show any training schedule or list any instructors on their website either which I find kind of weird. Anyone with any info or experiences to share from this place?

It used to be a Therien school.

Ground-oriented options:

OAMA offers Renzo Gracie BJJ
Ronin offers BTT Canada BJJ
NX Martial Arts offers Machado BJJ
Coalition Martial Arts offers BTT BJJ
K2 offers Machado BJJ
Tapout Training Center (Gatineau) offers Nova Uniao BJJ

Fit MMA offers Combat Submission Wrestling
Tsunami Martial Arts has an olympic wrestling program
Neak Ta Pradal Serey and N-1 Muay Thai both have grappling / submission fighting classes on their schedules

MMAFA offers an MMA program based on ATT and The Pit but I've never met anyone who trains there

There are a handful of Judo clubs in Ottawa too like Takahashi Dojo (which also has a JJ program) and the RA Judo Club

Ottawa U, Carleton U and Algonquin College all have martial arts programs programs that are open to the public -- some of them include wrestling, jiu-jitsu, etc

Not to mention a slew of non-Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu clubs (some of them are bullshidoey but many do well at the local grappling tourneys that usually attract BJJ players and MMA fighters) -- I train at one such school and enjoy it very much

Plus most community centers have a "traditional" jiu-jitsu program (usually loosely based on Can-Ryu Jiu-Jitsu)

Standup Options:

OAMA offers Lanna Muay Thai
Ronin offers Muay Thai but I forget who their affiliation is
Neak Ta Padal Serey offers Cambodian boxing (very similar to Muay Thai)
SEAMA (AKA South East Asian Martial Arts) also offers Cambodian boxing
Fang Shen Do has a Sanshou program but I've heard flakey things about the place
Wu-Tan Canada has a Sanshou program
Ottawa Kyokushin Goudreault Dojo offers Kyokushin Karate
Tapout Training Center (Gatineau) has a Muay Thai program but I don't know who their affiliation is

There are A LOT of kickboxing schools but be careful because many of them only offer "fitness kickboxing" wherein you'll do a lot of Tae Bo-like cardio moves and maybe kit pads but never spar -- that being said, there are man legit schools and Jean-Yves Th

Last edited by a moderator:
Capital Muay Thai is directly affiliated to Siam n1 the best thai in North America its a style thats been passed on to the best thai fighters in Canada such as Clifton Brown,Simon Marcus and Matt Embree. Its now located on Wellington!!!

Back