BJJ and law Enforcement

Just a question, but I would imagine that gi training is more applicable to law enforcement, unless you only patrol the beach.

I would say that altough GI training would seem to have an advantage. I do both. I tend to use the GI in defense action more. I always know that I will have on a belt, shirt, pants ect. Alot of my takedown and submission work I do with a no gi oppentant. It seems every redneck strips his shirt off before he decides to fight/run.

MIDMOBOX said:
I think one thing that everyone here has missed saying is the most important thing I get from my training. The ablity to respond to physical violence. BJJ/Boxing/Judo whatever are vaulable form LEOs not just because of the techinques they teach but they alway you to remain in a more clear state of mind while being attacked or attacking. Which in turn allows you to use all your options and not just go Ballistic on the suspect.

I have also found not only do I end the struggle quicker but I actually remeber what I did for the paperwork after. Before I began my addiction to combat sports(admitting you have a problem is the first step guys) I only remebered I was in a fight. Now I can walk myself back through the event. The other thing I have seen in cops who train is that they have the ablility to turn off when the fights over. Everyone knows that its not the times you hit him before the cuffs are one that matter, its the one extra one after that you never should throw that gets you.

Very true and to the point.

Shadowdean said:
Just a question, but I would imagine that gi training is more applicable to law enforcement, unless you only patrol the beach.

I tend to dieagree. A JJ gi is very strong and will not rip. Clothes are not as strong. There are some good chokes with a gi that I like and as one person told me, If you work where it snows, everyone wears a jacket so Gi JJ is good. I work in Socal (Not at the beach) so I tend to lean more towards No GI JJ.

Well, looks like I'm a little late getting to this thread, but I'll go ahead and throw in my 2 cents worth too....I'm also a cop for a fairly large metropolitan police department. Been with the department going on 8 years now. That's one of the reasons that I switched from traditional martial arts to training BJJ almost exclusively (along with some MMA stuff). I have had numerous instances where I've used BJJ to help subdue & control resisting suspects. A lot of it is really good, particularly considering that the majority of the time that a suspect resists, they end up going to the ground (usually put on the ground by the officers). However, there are some techniques that are not all that practical for the street, and have to be modified a little. In general, I don't want to be rolling around on the ground with someone with all the gear we have to carry, having to worry about weapon retention, etc. But it's good to know in case you end up there. I'm also a defensive tactics instructor at our police academy, and we've really started to implement a lot more ground control techniques into our curriculum, which I think is a good thing.

BJJ wouldnt be good for law enforcment. In a real life self defence situation you should avoide going to the ground.

Arnis_7788 said:
BJJ wouldnt be good for law enforcment. In a real life self defence situation you should avoide going to the ground.

There is a big difference between self-defense & law enforcement. While there may be times that cops have to defend themselves against unprovoked attack, most of the time, we are dealing with people who are simply resisting arrest. This may sometimes turn into an assault or attack, but mostly we deal with people who are being defensive and either just trying to get away, resisting being taken into custody. In self-defense, one of the main concepts is avoidance of potentially confrontational situations. In law enforcement, we are generally the ones bringing the confrontation to the suspect. We don't have the luxury to run away. And, as I mentioned in my earlier post, in most physical encounters with suspects, we put them on the ground, because that is the easiest and safest way to gain control of them and keep them from fleeing. So, given that MOST of our confrontations will end on the ground, I would say that BJJ is a great art for law enforcement. Besides the fact that many of the joint manipulation techniques enable you to gain control with minimal injury to the suspect. If I put someone in a kimura to get them handcuffed....no paperwork. If I punch them in the face....paperwork. Not that that isn't also sometimes necessary. I have found that Judo & Wrestling are also great arts for cops due to the ability to take people to the ground. Really, I think that cops should train in all aspects, takedowns, groundfighting, striking.

ive used the kimura several times while on my feet and on the ground while on the job, also the RNC a few times, looks so much better than just pounding someone with a baton, expecially if they are all doped up on meth or pcp etc... if they cant breath they cant fight, if they cant feel pain then batons are not gonna work, but superior holds/postitioning still will.

Arnis_7788 said:

trust me its good, and very effective... obviously i dont wanna be on the ground but it happens all the time, after a foot chase, etc. you always end up on the ground as a cop atleast if your in a real city doing real police work

Jiu-Jitsu Cop said:
I tend to dieagree. A JJ gi is very strong and will not rip. Clothes are not as strong. There are some good chokes with a gi that I like and as one person told me, If you work where it snows, everyone wears a jacket so Gi JJ is good. I work in Socal (Not at the beach) so I tend to lean more towards No GI JJ.

Have you seen Greg Thompsons new book, H2H? It's basically designed for CQB for military primarily, but also much is applicable to law enforcement. I noticed when looking through it that he uses quite a few gi chokes with guys wearing t-shirts. However, he doesn't just grip the collar. He grabs the bottom of the shirt and pulls it up, bunching it around the lapel. This makes for a much more secure grip which is not as likely to rip. I never really thought about this until I saw that book.

i would imagine judo would help more than bjjin this situation. no offense. becuase of the extensive tachiwaza. alot of the gi gripping can easily be translated. and and when you do a good sweep or takedown judo teaches you to land in a pin or just have good positioning

judokapinoy said:
i would imagine judo would help more than bjjin this situation. no offense. becuase of the extensive tachiwaza. alot of the gi gripping can easily be translated. and and when you do a good sweep or takedown judo teaches you to land in a pin or just have good positioning

This may be true. I have not studied Judo in order to say one way or the other but Judo has some great throws.

Jiu-Jitsu Cop said:
No I have not checked it out, i wil have to look at it.

I posted almost the exact same thing about Greg Thompson's "H2H" on the second page of this thread although nobody seemed to notice. I included a link to the Amazon page on which the book is listed. You should check it out at a bookstore if possible , Id be shocked if you didnt buy it.

as a cj student and future cop i'm personally studying anything i can to get a leg up on the "bad guys"

sproggdawg said:
I posted almost the exact same thing about Greg Thompson's "H2H" on the second page of this thread although nobody seemed to notice. I included a link to the Amazon page on which the book is listed. You should check it out at a bookstore if possible , Id be shocked if you didnt buy it.

If at all possible you guys who are all hyped up about the modern combatives book on amazon should realize that those are only basics and you will get a lot more information by buying or checking out a book from the library on staight Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. There are a lot
of people out there who sell books on martial arts and don't exactly model the techniques like they were shown traditionally. What I mean is that a lot of people make their own techniques just to look flashy but, that don't work....... and make a bad relationship when relating to the martial art they made a move for show. As for that youtube judo link, i watched that and in my opinion those were Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu techniques. Judo and Jiu-Jitsu are different; Judo incorporates throws and BJJ doesn't but, is more technical with ground work. That is just my opinion not intended to make anyone upset or say that they are wrong. Law Enforcement poeple that do BJJ should know that when you train BJJ everything is different than in the book because you learn as you gain experience; books are good if you can't train in fact I even have some books on just BJJ and nothing fancy like that book on amazon. I would not buy that book because i've watched army combatives training with BJJ incorporated into its system and it didn't even come close to mastering the basics of BJJ!! This is to help anyone who is considering the book.

sproggdawg said:

Sorry I missed it earlier. I sometimes jump into the middle of these threads. Thanks for the link.

bjj_grappler said:
If at all possible you guys who are all hyped up about the modern combatives book on amazon should realize that those are only basics and you will get a lot more information by buying or checking out a book from the library on staight Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. There are a lot
of people out there who sell books on martial arts and don't exactly model the techniques like they were shown traditionally. What I mean is that a lot of people make their own techniques just to look flashy but, that don't work....... and make a bad relationship when relating to the martial art they made a move for show. As for that youtube judo link, i watched that and in my opinion those were Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu techniques. Judo and Jiu-Jitsu are different; Judo incorporates throws and BJJ doesn't but, is more technical with ground work. That is just my opinion not intended to make anyone upset or say that they are wrong. Law Enforcement poeple that do BJJ should know that when you train BJJ everything is different than in the book because you learn as you gain experience; books are good if you can't train in fact I even have some books on just BJJ and nothing fancy like that book on amazon. I would not buy that book because i've watched army combatives training with BJJ incorporated into its system and it didn't even come close to mastering the basics of BJJ!! This is to help anyone who is considering the book.

I agree that you can not buy a book or DVD and learn from it by itself. I put out instructional DVDs (www.KibunInc.com) and I tell people that they need to train at a gym. I have studied various martial arts for 28 years and can read a book or watch a DVD and learn from it. I still have to take the techniques to the gym and practice them with other people. I am always open to learning and will be learning for the rest of my life.

ccl2087 said:
as a cj student and future cop i'm personally studying anything i can to get a leg up on the "bad guys"

I am glad to hear that you train. Alot of people will tell you not to train in one style or another and that thier style is the best, but I believe that any training (Including just weight lifting ) is better then no training at all. Keep it up.

I wish that I knew more BJJ or Judo when I was on the job, rather than a couple of years of HS wrestling and a few years of Kenpo.
As it was, I made due with a lot of headlocks, hammerlocks, and bullying them with my weight.

Back