BJJ and law Enforcement

cyberena

White Belt
Reaction score
I wonder anyone here who learns BJJ is working as a law enforcement officer? Does BJJ really help your job? Can you share a little bit about your experience using BJJ in law enforcement?

Theres a member here whos name is BJJCop so I would assume he is a cop maybe he'll post and say.

Hey it is even helpful in the field of education, (without us the police would need tanks, jet fighters and whatnot) I have had to physically hold down kids that went crazy several times

Ahh I hear someone calling me. Yes I am a cop. I study no gi JJ for the last 9 years. I could write pages of incidents where I have used JJ as an Officer. The thing I will say is that being able to lock holds on people has helped with being able to handcuff them. Also I have less use of force complaints against me as I hold subjects down and not beat their face into the ground. I believe strongly in training on the ground but I have argued with some people regarding certain techniques. I will not try to pull guard or try triangles on suspects due to location of my gun on me. I prefer to stay on top verses when I roll I like to work on my guard.

If you are looking for a specific instance then ask it and I will give a real story of what happened to me. I usually post in the evenings (pacific standard time), so I may not respond until late in the evening, I unfortunately have to work dayshift with weekends off so the evenings is when I get to post.

I am an use of force instructor and have my own website.

www.KibunInc.com

I also moderate a Poiice forum for Onthemat.com

I'm also a Cop and have trained no gi Jiu jitsu and submission wrestling. BJJ along with any other grappling art is useful and comes in handy. I agree with JJ Cop, in a perfect world u wanna use your training to achieve and maintain top position, if your taken or take a subject to the ground. However a friend of mine, who also trains (Barroom Hero Sherdog SN) slapped a sweet triangle on a guy who double legged him down to the ground. The guy was completely oblivious on what to do and collapsed. While it is not recomendable or ideal, at least u have the tool to use. So BJJ is very useful.

I train with several Vermont state troopers and a NY state trooper and they all have stories of having used their skills in the line of duty. (I'm in studies for criminal justice)

nyrednose said:
I'm also a Cop and have trained no gi Jiu jitsu and submission wrestling. BJJ along with any other grappling art is useful and comes in handy. I agree with JJ Cop, in a perfect world u wanna use your training to achieve and maintain top position, if your taken or take a subject to the ground. However a friend of mine, who also trains (Barroom Hero Sherdog SN) slapped a sweet triangle on a guy who double legged him down to the ground. The guy was completely oblivious on what to do and collapsed. While it is not recomendable or ideal, at least u have the tool to use. So BJJ is very useful.

I happy to hear that your friend won. I agree that any technique can be used in a fight and I love triangles. I just prefer not use them as I have issues with my gun being exposed and someone being able to attack me while I am rolling on the ground with a suspect. But I agree 100% that learning various arts and techniques can only be helpful.

i used to have a job bagging groceries, i have many stories how bjj has work to my advantage.

I'm not a cop, but there are about 8 or 9 guys on my team that are. They've all talked about how BJJ has helped them from time to time. There's also a guy who is a bouncer and he uses BJJ a lot in his job; especially things like wrist locks that work great on violent, sloppy drunks.

kishiro said:
i used to have a job bagging groceries, i have many stories how bjj has work to my advantage.

Ok being such a violent job that you have I am not surprised that you have some stories. Could you please share some with us for this is fascinating to me. I used to use a paper bag all of the time since I have been a New Orleans Saints fan since 1974. :icon_chee

Jiu-Jitsu Cop said:
Ok being such a violent job that you have I am not surprised that you have some stories. Could you please share some with us for this is fascinating to me. I used to use a paper bag all of the time since I have been a New Orleans Saints fan since 1974. :icon_chee
Yeah, who cares about law enforcement stories, I want something a little more hard core. Lets hear some groceries bagging stories...

nyrednose said:

I am training in a gracie BJJ school now. We trained 90% time with gi on. Will that help us in real life situation?

cyberena said:
I am training in a gracie BJJ school now. We trained 90% time with gi on. Will that help us in real life situation?

Of course. Why wouldn't it help you? You are training in something, right off the bat that is better than watching tv.

Jiu-Jitsu Cop said:

You were an "Aints" fan too? My dad and I had our bags ready to go each season before the preseason even started. :D

A cop teammate of mine has a story where he & his partner were chasing a perp, he ran up to his house and they followed. The guy let his dog out to go after them. The dog latched on to his partner's leg, and my teammate RNC'd the 80lb dog & put it to sleep.

I'm not a police officer but plan on being one in the future.... police need to know jiu-jitsu because over 90% of all altercations end up on the ground. Not only that but, most of them from what I've seen know how to use their weapons and handcuff people which is great but, In my opinion, should be required to take classes or learn BJJ because some of them might lack fighting skills. I like the police and eventually want to be one and that is one of the biggest reasons I train Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu!!

Its mainly helpful for positional control. As the other stated, you want to be on top, you always have to be mindful of your firearm and friends of his coming to his aid.

Chokes are often illegal, subs are sometimes not ideal because they try and fight out of them not knowing that struggling makes it worse. Having said that, I have used a Gene Lebell hold called the 'cobra grip' countless times, not as a sub, but to control. It's probably my number 1 stand up grappling technique. Once they start fighting out of one move, you can transition to another and you will eventually have positional control and the cuffs go on.

I have found it helpful. I have also learned some Judo, some of the simpler judo throws and sweeps are extremely useful and I have used them many, many times.

The truest thing in this thread has been that you get far fewer complaints of excessive force against you.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
herrsackbauer
Back