BJJ and Judo

well ive done bjj since i was back in 95 and i luv it but there arent many throws like in judo but i dont know a lot bout judo and i dont know if u guys fight on the ground like grapling i asume u dont but i would like to know and if u dont then thats y more people like bjj caz its full ground fighting i hope this is helpfull

Since the origin of jujitsu or BJJ came from Judo, and EVERY teqnique in BJJ comes from Judo, yet Judo has throws among others, why is it most people tend to take jujitsu instead of Judo? Why isnt Judo looked at in the same light as BJJ? Everyone always said that Fedor has never take jujitsu, but why should he take BJJ when he as a Black belt in Judo?

Judo is by far the better art. Was it because of the marketing of the Gracies that put jujitsu on a different plain? Was Judo forgotten? I understand Judo is still practiced, but not like jujitsu. Everyone worries about how good someones jujitsu is?

How many of you have taken Judo? I took judo a while back and like it better then jujitsu. And all the Judo instructors bascily said that if you take Judo you will learn jujitsu but have more weapons in the arsenal.

just a thought.

your misinformed. the base of bjj is derived from judo, but the other parts/techniques of the game were invented and changed over time. A lot of Judo black belts will enter a bjj school, and will be awarded a blue belt for basic understanding of position and escapes. Judokas look at Judo the same way most people look at bjj. There are just way more techniques and counters in bjj that's why mma fighters take it.

I have trained bjj for 3 years, and can tell you that there are so many techiques, and counters to techniques that it is amazing. I can't compare it to Judo cause I have not trained judo, but I would assume that fighters want to be the best prepared, and knowing the additional techniques and counters would prepare you the best

well ive done bjj since i was back in 95 and i luv it but there arent many throws like in judo but i dont know a lot bout judo and i dont know if u guys fight on the ground like grapling i asume u dont but i would like to know and if u dont then thats y more people like bjj caz its full ground fighting i hope this is helpfull

from my research i can gather that judo is a lot like wrestling in that it focuses on base, positioning, and taking your opponent down. the techniques obviously differ but maybe a judo guy can better explain it. but they do fight on the ground

How familiar are you with Indian grappling...? Almost every martial art you see around the world has a relatively ancient Indian counterpart. Doesn't mean that the martial art was taken from India, but they have quite a diverse martial arts tradition over there, in the area of grappling as well. Some forms of pelwahni and kushti wrestling, which is essentially identical to folkstyle or freestyle wrestling, include submission holds. And there is a form of fighting which includes extensive use of what is equivalent to the guard, though, it also includes hitting people in the face with knuckle-dusters.

I don't realy see what that has to do with what I posted. The body only bends in finite ways. Wrestling, Submissions, Pugulistic Standup fighting, kicking ect... are all apart of many different styles around the world. Doesn't mean they had anything to do with the development of entirely different arts in entirely different countrys. That's like the moronic view of tracing all Western and Eastern MA's to Greek Pankration. It's a rediculous theory, and one that's completely Eurocentric. Anyway, most historians would agree that two things are of sole Japanese invention. The Shinto Religion, and Jujutsu.

from my research i can gather that judo is a lot like wrestling in that it focuses on base, positioning, and taking your opponent down. the techniques obviously differ but maybe a judo guy can better explain it. but they do fight on the ground

You don't realy have to do much research. There are three ways to win in Judo.

1. Ippon by perfect throw.

2. Submission (Chokes and armlocks)

3. Pin (25 seconds)

If worldclass players don't study these three areas extensively they will lose in one of them.

So, receive money to beat people up is fun ?

No it is not.

If i remember correctly both Maeda and Kimura were banned from Kodokan because of that.

Neither Maeda nor Kimura were ever banned from the Kodokan. That's pure fabrication. Infact Maeda's promotion from the Kodokan, to the rank of 7th dan in Judo, was dated the day before he died. So it arrived in Brazil after his death. The Kodokan also dedicated a stone memorial to Maeda in Hirosaki City. Notables present at the dedication included Risei Kano, president of the Kodokan, and Kaichiro Samura, tenth dan.

I don't realy see what that has to do with what I posted. The body only bends in finite ways. Wrestling, Submissions, Pugulistic Standup fighting, kicking ect... are all apart of many different styles around the world. Doesn't mean they had anything to do with the development of entirely different arts in entirely different countrys. That's like the moronic view of tracing all Western and Eastern MA's to Greek Pankration. It's a rediculous theory, and one that's completely Eurocentric. Anyway, most historians would agree that two things are of sole Japanese invention. The Shinto Religion, and Jujutsu.

It was mostly just a side-point, to give respect to India's martial arts.

Given the way that China has gone after erasing the history between Indian and Chinese martial arts, I just wouldn't be surprised if there was white-washing of an Indian lineage for basically ANY martial art. I guess I'm just biased based on how much Indian martial arts have been underplayed.

That, and Indian wrestling, sumo, sireum and Mongolian wrestling have soooo much in common...from the wrestler's diet, to their attire, to the ceremony, that I wouldn't put a connection between Indian grappling/martial arts and Japanese jujutsu as completely out of the question.

You don't realy have to do much research. There are three ways to win in Judo.

1. Ippon by perfect throw.

2. Submission (Chokes and armlocks)

3. Pin (25 seconds)

If worldclass players don't study these three areas extensively they will lose in one of them.

I hate to be pedantic but you forgot the various combinations of waza-ari, yuko and koka, plus you can win by referee's decision or most points at the end of the match.

No, they did not encourage what they did.

Many more Judoka's did this as well.

Maeda was expelled from the Kodokan and this type of fighting maybe a reason but that was very early, by the time Kimura was around Judo had already been spread and it was fine to do what they did but again it still was not encouraged.
OK, why people want to mix Judo and fighting now ?

OK, why people want to mix Judo and fighting now ?

This is what makes you a troll, you don't even bother to read the other posts before posting yourself. Judo is a combat-proven sport, and judokas were fighting in "no-rules" challenge-fights before Helio Gracie was even born. That fact alone makes your question retarded.

Why fight in the name of judo instead of bjj you ask. Because there are entire continents where bjj is fly's shit compared to judo that's why. And obviously many judokas, just like wrestlers and bjj'ers have a sense of loyalty towards the sport they've grown up with. Why fix something that isn't broken?

And who are you to tell what is and what isn't good for a sport you don't even train? The last thing the sport needs is patronizing. You're telling how fighting for money is bad for some, but for others it's okay. Your double standards are ridiculous. Punching people in the face and choking them is fun (*EDIT: make that very, very fun and especially after slamming them on their heads.*2nd EDIT: I love face-stomps and soccer-kicks too btw), it's great that people can make a living out of it legally by fighting in MMA-events representing their gyms/styles.

If you'd be confident in bjj then you'd just let other people practise judo and stop bitching about people fighting in the name of it. Obviously this is a waste of time since you think the whole world is like Brazil.

This is what makes you a troll, you don't even bother to read the other posts before posting yourself. Judo is a combat-proven sport, and judokas were fighting in "no-rules" challenge-fights before Helio Gracie was even born. That fact alone makes your question retarded.

Why fight in the name of judo instead of bjj you ask. Because there are entire continents where bjj is fly's shit compared to judo that's why. And obviously many judokas, just like wrestlers and bjj'ers have a sense of loyalty towards the sport they've grown up with. Why fix something that isn't broken?

And who are you to tell what is and what isn't good for a sport you don't even train? The last thing the sport needs is patronizing. You're telling how fighting for money is bad for some, but for others it's okay. Your double standards are ridiculous. Punching people in the face and choking them is fun (*EDIT: make that very, very fun and especially after slamming them on their heads.*2nd EDIT: I love face-stomps and soccer-kicks too btw), it's great that people can make a living out of it legally by fighting in MMA-events representing their gyms/styles.

If you'd be confident in bjj then you'd just let other people practise judo and stop bitching about people fighting in the name of it. Obviously this is a waste of time since you think the whole world is like Brazil.
It seems you dont understand that Kodokan forbids fighting for money !

You want Judo to do the same as BJJ when in fact Judo is much above BJJ.

If you like to beat people up you dont deserve to fight for Judo, you do bad and should be banned from Judo.

I am trolling pro Judo, you troll against Judo, btw.

Next, you will ask Judo to include strikes and stomps just because you enjoy !!!

Good job ...

It seems you dont understand that Kodokan forbids fighting for money !

You want Judo to do the same as BJJ when in fact Judo is much above BJJ.

If you like to beat people up you dont deserve to fight for Judo, you do bad and should be banned from Judo.

There are many judoka who like to slam people and hurt them that way. Judo is much above BJJ? What a crock!

in competition your trained to slam the guy so you have the moment to transition to a pin or submission.

That being said in the true spirit of judo, you shouldn't be doign that. Its the competitive atmosphere that encourages you to take every possible advantage. Which of course is present in both sports.

There are many judoka who like to slam people and hurt them that way. Judo is much above BJJ? What a crock!
I speak in a sense for social purposes, i am not comparing fighting style.

Judo has a goal to build better people and citizens, BJJ dont focus these goals too much.

I speak in a sense for social purposes, i am not comparing fighting style.

Judo has a goal to build better people and citizens, BJJ dont focus these goals too much.

That's often quoted, but that part of judo is very egotistical. Judo is literally THE Way. That's a very arrogant view to think that their way is the best way for everyone. Judo needs more humility. As a martial art Judo is fine, but as a way of life it is too idealistic.

That isn't exactly true. Judo is a very competitive sport. The atmosphere of Judo schools are generally more structured and refined than BJJ, but that doesn't mean that its sole purpose is to build better people. Prove your claim and we'll go for it.

Back