BJJ and insomnia

Totally. I trained until around 8:45 last night and I have not slept more than an hour and a half. It is not even 5 AM and I'm still up. What was I doing this whole time? Watching a marathon of Mad Men on Netflix and watching BJJ matches. lol

I have the same problem. My legs actually twitch even 9-10 hours after a workout (get out of the gym at 9PM, sleep at 6AM) and keep me up. I find it very difficult to stay asleep (melatonin won't help with this) and fall asleep when I've been in the gym.

The only thing that hasn't really been mentioned yet is body temperature. I'm pretty sure your body temperature needs to drop a little bit to be able to go to bed, and obviously after BJJ and perhaps a warm shower your body temperature is going to be a bit higher than normal. I started taking cool showers the past couple of weeks, and I have been getting to sleep at around 12 as opposed to 1:30 or 2.

Seems like this is a very common problem. After training I always take a nice hot bath, which helps with recovery and helps me unwind.

I think about sweeps, transitions, etc right before falling asleep. It used to keep me up, because I would get excited about it. Lately, its done the opposite, calming me down and helping me fall asleep. Maybe I'm thinking about it more in a flowing, soothing way instead of a grinding, smashing way, idk.

Fuck balls I am having trouble sleeping tonight.

Tournaments are nothing new to me, but for some reason I cannot shut off game planning for one coming up at the end of the month. I am not nervous or scared, I just want to get on that mat and put into use everything I have been drilling as well as the time I have put into my S&C at the gym.

Trying a SleepyTime hot tea now so hopefully will knock me out. I am doing another 5 mile run tomorrow and some extra rolling tomorrow night. Luckily I can sleep in a bit and catch a nap in my office if needed without getting in trouble.

Damn I thought I was the only one with this problem. I feel hot and bothered and can't get to sleep, and once I miss that initial sleep window then I'm up until any hours.

Fuck balls I am having trouble sleeping tonight.

Tournaments are nothing new to me, but for some reason I cannot shut off game planning for one coming up at the end of the month. I am not nervous or scared, I just want to get on that mat and put into use everything I have been drilling as well as the time I have put into my S&C at the gym.

Trying a SleepyTime hot tea now so hopefully will knock me out. I am doing another 5 mile run tomorrow and some extra rolling tomorrow night. Luckily I can sleep in a bit and catch a nap in my office if needed without getting in trouble.

I've had terrible sleep problems for a long time, but found something that absolutely works. Try this.

Buy some True Athlete ZMA at Vitamin Shoppe. The reason the brand is important is because they also add Theanine.

Buy a vial of "DreamWater" at your local drugstore. Drink it, washing down the ZMA simultaneously.

So now the active ingredients you're using are
GABA
5HTP
Melatonin
Theanine
ZMA

I take it 45 mins before bed, making sure to work with it, taking time to relax, watch TV or read etc.

Let me know of it works for you, as I'm developing a product that will include these ingredients + active recovery agents at a much lower price. It's the only thing thats every consistently knocked me out.

After getting home late after training I also stay amped up. To help me fall asleep I will usually watch something boring on tv as I lay on the couch. It tends to calm me down and take my mind off the awesomeness that went down at the gym.

You can try reading but I don't do that that shit is for suckas. Or you could always give that one chubby chick you know a call and see if she is down to bone if your gf ain't around. Just sayin' dawgs. Handle dat ass.

Lately, I've been listening to audio books at night in bed in the dark, and it has been working really, really well (reading doesn't help me).

I'm forced to concentrate on the narrator's words and the story.

If my mind wanders, I catch myself and remind myself to pay attention.

I end up drifting off to sleep naturally, then eventually waking up, turning the book off and going right back to sleep.

I've been having severe insomnia lately (I've had sleep problems since I was a teenager), and this is working great. I'm pretty happy. Just thought I'd share.

Well it's 7.10am and I'm still not asleep. Did BJJ for 2 hours, gym and then a home workout last night. WTF? Exercise is meant to wear you out isn't it? I feel like death right now.

I used to use this a long while ago. Specifically the entire CD and it would put me out great. Been using it again with some Alteril with great success.

When you train hard at night, your blood sugar goes through the roof after your session. You also probably eat and drink some kind of sports drink after training (as you should).
You could try to fit in a nap during the day to make up for it.

Melatonin and magnesium work really good for me. I can't take Rasta style relaxants because of drug testing at my work.

Last edited:
I have this exact problem... I'm not sure if it's my adrenaline that keeps me up but I definitely have a very tough time sleeping at night...

Luckily this Rasta sold me some magical plants that usually help.

But yeah, it's a huge pain in the ass.

Back