BJJ and insomnia

I tweak on bjj for hours sometimes during the night. I end up wide awake, thinking about my rolls, looking shit up on youtube, and hell, just watching and listening bjj players talk about bjj. I'm obsessed. I'm addicted. I'm a bjj guy. Ftw.

Since we're on the subject , ever thought about advancing in position during sex?
I'm having trouble controlling myself and not submitting woman sometimes.

Haha, as goofy as that sounds, I find myself "passing the guard" with the lady as well. It's muscle memory, sometimes I can't help it.

it happens to me also, it fucking sucks. i left the gym at 8:30 and its 1:18 am and have been trying to sleep since 10:30 but simply cant. My mind is still thinking about the transitions and shit. My body is destroyed but my mind is 100% active. Also my fucking cauliflower ear wont let me lay my head in a comfortable position. I ate some pasta before bed like at 9:30 or so. Anyone has a solution not involving weed??

Happens to me as well.
Normally i left my gym at 9:15-30 ish, by the time i return home, shower and dine it would be something like 10:30ish to 11:00 already.

Friend of mine told me massive amount of B12 and omega 3 helps, but i have been taking multi-vitamin for years anyway (although it's a crappy and cheap brand)

yeah....totally messed up my calorie intake today. Tried to make it up when I got home at 11, but ended up eating horribly and pouring a few glasses of Jameson. Still up.

I've had this problem forever. I've recently been combining a bunch of supplements that have helped a lot. Mostly GABA,ZMA,Melatonin, Theanine, 5HTp etc. it gets tedious and expensive though.

But I'll be working with the owner of musclefeast.com to create a product specifically for this.

A healthy, nighttime sleep and recovery aid for athletes with no proprietary blends, no fillers, just ingredients that work. I'm excited.

Funny i should see this thread, guess who only got 2 hours of sleep? Oh yea, me :(

Ive tried it all TS... Next step is counseling.

I've had this problem forever. I've recently been combining a bunch of supplements that have helped a lot. Mostly GABA,ZMA,Melatonin, Theanine, 5HTp etc. it gets tedious and expensive though.

But I'll be working with the owner of musclefeast.com to create a product specifically for this.

A healthy, nighttime sleep and recovery aid for athletes with no proprietary blends, no fillers, just ingredients that work. I'm excited.

Have you heard of Replora Plex?

I'm old. I fall fall asleep in the gym sometimes... even during rolls =/

Have you heard of Replora Plex?

Yeah. Not very impressed. Very cheap ingredients like Riboflavin, B-12, Folic Acid in addition to another bogus "proprietary blend." Those ingredients aren't bad for you... but I don't really see how they'd help sleep very much and they're certainly low-cost.

It's really weird to start reading a thread, and then seeing that you've already replied to it two years earlier.

Yeah. Not very impressed. Very cheap ingredients like Riboflavin, B-12, Folic Acid in addition to another bogus "proprietary blend." Those ingredients aren't bad for you... but I don't really see how they'd help sleep very much and they're certainly low-cost.

Ah ok. Havent tried it, it sounded intriguing with the claim that it can manage cortisol levels and help induce sleep naturally etc. though.

I do have an update for this, 10 minutes of meditation before bed seems to do wonders. If I lay down with my mind still active it will stay up for hours, but consciously pushing everything away for 10 minutes (surprisingly difficult, really is a learned skill) doesn't make me sleepy but leaves me clear and much more able to fall asleep.

man, im the opposite i shower, then just collapse on my bed and knock out lol

One thing to keep in mind is that insomnia is one of the symptoms of overtraining.
I'm not suggesting that overtraining is the cause of insomnia in most cases, but it's worth keeping in mind as a possible contributor.

Other symptoms associated with overtraining*:

-performance decrements
-decreased maximal heart rate
-elevated resting norepinephrine levels and decreased norepinephrine excretion (this may be the cause of the insomnia with overtraining).
-fatigue, anxiety, irritability

*from Clinical Sports Medicine, 3rd Edition, by Brukner and Kahn 2007

Hi Randal, over training usually makes me feel a lot more tired. What you wrote about norepinephrine (noradrenaline as we say in the UK) doesn't really make sense. Norepinephrine would need to be secreted to cause an elevated level.

Anyway, guys just read a book (not one about jiu jitsu, judo etc). It should put you to sleep unless its particularly engrossing which makes you stay up longer reading the book.

Sorry, just understood that you wrote excretion. I guess if it wasn't being excreted then there would be an increased concentration of noradrenaline in the blood.

I would first try relaxation techniques to calm down. If that doesn't work try melatonin and valerian root. Vitamin shop used to sell a product called sleep and restore that had both valerian and melatonin as well as antioxidants and vitamins. If the natural route does not work either see a doctor or consider a shift change if that is possible. This is all from personal experience. Some nights I would be so amped up that I would not calm down for hours. If you are relatively new than that feeling will subside after you gain experience and learn to be calm. Hang in there and explore all options.

I had that last night. My class ends around 930 and it takes me about an hour and half to get home and after washing my gi and taking a shower I laid down and couldn't go to sleep. My girlfriend woke up and noticed I couldn't sleep and we had sex and then about a half hour after I laid back down, I got to sleep. Try that!

I used to have trouble sleeping as well. Especially at the beginning when every live roll was a fight for your life. I'd stare at the ceiling and analise every situation I've been in that night. My wiefe would be laying on my arm and she'd say she can feel me tensing up when I was going through some moves in my mind. Now I noticed that when I'm more relaxed during rolling and don't try to submit or survive at all cost it's easier to fall asleep. As silly as it may sound try counting sheep. Well, it doesn't have to be sheep but if you concentrate on counting every breath to 100 and not thinking about anything else you eventually get so bored that you fall asleep. Sort of like meditation :)

Back