BJJ and insomnia

Bruce Calavera

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Maybe someone else on this forum has issues with this as well. I work all day and don't have time to take a nap between work and BJJ. When I get out of training the adrenaline usually keeps me up hours upon end and I don't actually fall asleep until around 2 or 3 AM. Does anyone else have this problem and what measures have you taken to work around this? It's effecting my ability to train because some days I'm too tired to goto class, often falling asleep on the transit between work and home.

Yeah , i have something similar , after hard training sessions , when i feel fysicially exhausted , i feel like closing my eyes and instantly sleeping , when i go to bed i end up resting my body and beeing fully awake like an hour later. :( .

I don't have to wake up in the morning , so it isn't the end of the world for me, but i'm interested if there's something that i can do against it aswell.

yh its fuccin gay, i can never sleep - even sleeping tablest are shit.... i really envy peopl ewho can fall asleep in minutes - it takes me fuckin ages

I totally have the same problem. My class is at 8:45pm and we don't get out till sometimes 10pm. By the time I get home, it's 10:30. So after I shower, I've learned not to go into my bed. If you lie there and just try to sleep, you won't. Watching TV is not good either. I usually pick up a book and start reading. When I feel tired and my eyes start blinking slowly and my head starts dozing off, I walk up to bed and lie down and continue reading until I fall asleep. TV is the worst, it'll just keep you up late. This is what works for me.

Maybe someone else on this forum has issues with this as well. I work all day and don't have time to take a nap between work and BJJ. When I get out of training the adrenaline usually keeps me up hours upon end and I don't actually fall asleep until around 2 or 3 AM. Does anyone else have this problem and what measures have you taken to work around this? It's effecting my ability to train because some days I'm too tired to goto class, often falling asleep on the transit between work and home.

You get an adrenalin rush in training? Is this normal? I don't really get that myself. I work hard and train properly, but I never get adrenaline. Even when we do some hard rolling, because I know it's just rolling.

To sorta stay on topic, I do have trouble sleeping sometimes though. A hard session will make me "over-tired", and I'll be restless all night. Not got the answer though, I just suffer it like everyone else.

Haha I don't have the same problem but I did used to be kept awake by my mind ticking away thinking about moves and conepts and such. Mind you, I don't go to bed 'til about 1 normally anyway. You might need to just take a good look at your time management and how much stress your body is taking.
If you can find a way to relax then you'll be on your way. Meditation works for some.

I have the exact same issue after Judo, because I can't keep my self from reviewing what I did, what did and didn't work and why. This is often where I have that moment of realization on why something wasn't working, that forehead-slapping moment where you go, "Duh, I wasn't bringing my back leg in with me on the sweeps!" or "I didn't escape my hips enough to make the sweep work" or whatever.

I want to sleep so bad, but the highlight reel in my head just won't shut off.

Try getting some Melatonin at the drugstore, it's cheap and over the counter, non addictive. Take it about 20 minutes before you go to bed and as long as you have a clear mind it's a lot easier to slip into a natural sleep. And this is from someone who's had sleep issues his whole life.

Haha I don't have the same problem but I did used to be kept awake by my mind ticking away thinking about moves and conepts and such. Mind you, I don't go to bed 'til about 1 normally anyway. You might need to just take a good look at your time management and how much stress your body is taking.
If you can find a way to relax then you'll be on your way. Meditation works for some.

I have a similar problem.

I haven

You get an adrenalin rush in training? Is this normal? I don't really get that myself. I work hard and train properly, but I never get adrenaline. Even when we do some hard rolling, because I know it's just rolling.

To sorta stay on topic, I do have trouble sleeping sometimes though. A hard session will make me "over-tired", and I'll be restless all night. Not got the answer though, I just suffer it like everyone else.

Maybe it's not adrenaline. It could just be endorphins or somrthing totally different. Either way it keeps me up at night.

This happened to me last night actually. Couldn't sleep, kept running through different transitions in my head ALL night.

Working out in the morning helps but sounds like you don't have that option. When this happened to me melatonin helped.

Maybe it's not adrenaline. It could just be endorphins or somrthing totally different. Either way it keeps me up at night.

It's adrenaline. Even the guy who said he doesn't get an adrenaline rush does get an elevated level of adrenaline when rolling. It's a fact of how your body works. It just might not effect him as much.

I get a huge spike in adrenaline when training. Especially when going against guys much bigger or stronger than myself, or someone with waaay better technique (which is often, since I've only been training in BJJ for going on 9 months).

In fact, I notice my heart speeds up and I get tense if I just think about training, competing, or fighting in general.

Some things that have helped me relax after a hard night of rolling:

1.) breath meditation
2.) Yoga
3.) calming music
4.) Self-Myofascial Release via a foam roller
5.) chamomile tea
6.) static stretching
7.) smoking pot

Drink 2-3 beers when you get home lol and have a snack.

melatonin seems to work for me.

the problem is willing myself to take it. hah. Rather stay up :/

I have the exact same issue after Judo, because I can't keep my self from reviewing what I did, what did and didn't work and why. This is often where I have that moment of realization on why something wasn't working, that forehead-slapping moment where you go, "Duh, I wasn't bringing my back leg in with me on the sweeps!" or "I didn't escape my hips enough to make the sweep work" or whatever.

I want to sleep so bad, but the highlight reel in my head just won't shut off.

Yeah I had this exact same problem for the first year or so of doing Judo and BJJ. Now it's not a problem anymore, partly because I'm more experienced now and partly because at my new gym I finish about 8 PM and then I go home, take a shower, eat dinner and drink a beer or two.

tail cures all, haha

Man, you are a beast if you can hit it after BJJ.

After a full day of work and two hours of BJJ I'm way too tired, I just want to shower, eat and sleep.

edit: brown belt, boo-yah

Last edited:
Man, you are a beast if you can hit it after BJJ.

After a full day of work and two hours of BJJ I'm way too tired, I just want to shower, eat and sleep.

Shower, nice meal, then tail FTW.

I've been doing BJJ for the past month and a half, I got the same issue. It's more so that I keep thinking of what I could have done differently while I was rolling and anything that I need to work on or drill later on.

Back