BJJ and Cornermen

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Discipulus, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Discipulus

Discipulus Black Belt

Something I've noticed as I start watching more competition BJJ and submission grappling. Why do so many grapplers look at their cornermen when advice is being given? This is clearly a terrible habit, right? Having seen the ill effects of someone taking their eyes off the opponent to look at the corner in boxing, why does the same thing persist in grappling? Why do the opponents not capitalize? I simply do not understand this phenomenon.

2. Jagcorps_esq

Jagcorps_esq Red Belt

Same reason that people look at the people in their car while driving.

Part of us reacts when we hear something and we want to see it while we here it. I have a very hard time hearing people when I don't look at them or they look at me, and my hearing is fine.

Is it a bad habit? Sure is.

3. Discipulus

Discipulus Black Belt

I just don't understand why almost no coaches seem to ingrain it in their fighters not to look at the corner when they're talking, and just listen for their name and the advice while the match is taking place. I've never seen a boxer in a match, amateur or professional, look at his cornermen. I have, however, seen boxers in the gym get yelled at by their coaches for looking at the corner mid-round. It just seems weird as all get out.

4. loyalyolayal

loyalyolayal Steel Belt

young kron got swept in the vid bumped recently when he looked at his corner for advice.

5. BJJ Coffee Drinker

BJJ Coffee Drinker Amateur Fighter

cause you look away, you get punched in the face and hit by something you didn't see

BJJ has no such risk and as you are almost always in contact with your opponent, you can kind of feel when they start to do something

6. p4p1

p4p1 Purple Belt

Yeh really a big difference between the two.

7. Dirty Holt

Dirty Holt Black Belt Professional Fighter

In wrestling, you are taught to always look at your coaches during breaks in the match, not in the match. Sometimes it is IMPERATIVE for more inexperienced athletes to look at their coaches in critical situations. Since there are not many breaks in bjj, sometimes fighter should look to their corner during a match.

I cannot tell you how many matches some of my wrestlers have won simply because they looked over and got the right information at the right time. That being said, If I was in a placing match at an international tournament and I looked at my coach in the middle of a match, I would get my ass reemed big time.

8. Discipulus

Discipulus Black Belt

Even guys like Ryan Hall look away from their opponent at times.

I guess the difference in feel is the explanation, but I don't think I'd feel comfortable looking away during a competition.

9. BJJArsenal

BJJArsenal Brown Belt

Speaking of Ryan Hall, I specifically remember him looking at his corner asking about the points while trying to take Jeff glover's back at ADCC 2009. But then you get guys like Rodolfo who look at his coach with seconds left and get taken down by Buchecha.

I look at the guy in my corner if he's pretty much in my eyeline, and normally only then.