BJJ: 2nd Degree Black Belt

great video . good to see him willing to "earn " the stripe. leading by example

exactly.

testing seems like a big deal at dean's academy, as evidenced by all of his testing videos. while i'm not into the testing thing that much, i enjoy watching the vids of his students testing - they've all demonstrated smoothness and competence. i think it's cool that he holds himself to the same standards he holds his students to. none of that 'do as i say not as i do' bullshit.

No I meant at the beginning when he was tooling the blue's purples, and Brown, they clapped for everything. Sure its a cool video, but do you think that a test like that is necessary for a stripe on you're black belt?

They are no more test after you get your BJJ BB.

Just add a tripe on your BB every 3 years and then send the money to IBJJF if you want a certificate.

If your master is still alive and around your location, he can award your next stripe.

Otherwise, just get another BB to give it you in front of your students..

I don't understand how watching two guys roll around while sitting on your ass is doing more good for the team than actual sparring/training. By that logic, most of the people who post on these forums would be elite level UFC fighters. I geuss supporting your teammates means different things to different people, but to me it means always showing up to train hard and give my 100% that day trying to improve, not sitting around being a spectator which just seems kind of lazy to me.

I hate graduation because of that.

I guess you could decide to stay home and post on sherdog and watch youtube instead of turning up at the grading.

But one day, it will be your turn to get the belt and you will appreciate your teamates turning up to witness the most important in your BJJ life i.e your next belt.

But I still do not understand about making your students watch you roll for a stripe on a BB!

They are no more test after you get your BJJ BB.

Just add a tripe on your BB every 3 years and then send the money to IBJJF if you want a certificate.

If your master is still alive and around your location, he can award your next stripe.

Otherwise, just get another BB to give it you in front of your students..

Did you watch the video he is testing for his 2nd stripe so apparently in Roy Dean's system there are tests.

testing seems like a big deal at dean's academy, as evidenced by all of his testing videos. w

Actually, the videos that Dean posts of his students are not tests, but demonstrations. When he feels that a student is ready for their next rank, they're given the option of either just getting the belt, or of doing a demonstration in front of others.

Roy Harris, through whom Dean got his black belt, does test students for rank.

that's cool, great video. I loved his backtake against the brwnb.

what does he call his system btw if not bjj, or is it just like RDBJJ... or RDJJ....?

just curious

Funny to see him doing alot of things that Saulo says are "no-no's" in his BJJ university book.

Oh well, if it works it works.

that's cool, great video. I loved his backtake against the brwnb.

what does he call his system btw if not bjj, or is it just like RDBJJ... or RDJJ....?

just curious

Dean calls it BJJ.

Funny to see him doing alot of things that Saulo says are "no-no's" in his BJJ university book.

Oh well, if it works it works.

I own a copy of the book and there are a few things that are fundamentally wrong in it as well.

like what?

the way he defends the arm bar and the triangle.

while I understand his reasoning behind it, they are just the freaking opposite of what I have been taugh or more like all of us been taught.

But what can I say? who is gonna call BS on Saulo?

Video is awesome!

I don't get they guys that say it is a waste of time. How limited are your training sessions that you can't go there and watch and support your BB instructor earn his next level? he watches and supports you every day.

Don't know about anyone else but I learn so much watching my instructor roll. even if it is against lower level belts

Where exactly in the video and how exactly is what Dean's doing different than the book?

I think you are reading too much into it.

I was responding to MMAR15 that said some of the stuff that Dean does is a big nono in Saulo book.

So I said that there are a few fundamentals in Saulo book that make me frown as well.

someone asked me which ones? I replied the arm bar and triangle defense on Saulo Book make me frown!

Then you come up to the conclusion that I said that Dean is doing the arm bar and triangle defense wrong!!

Back