BJJ 101 Guard Pass

ryan115

White Belt
Reaction score
hey guys. Need some feedback again.

I was trying out the pass that BJ Penn shows on his BJJ 101 video. YouTube - BJJ 101 No Gi

Theres a position in the video (2:04) where he puts one knee up to prevent the guy from re-closing his guard. The pass worked really well with people at my level (noobs).

However, when I tried it with a higher level guy, I got swept on the opposite side of the knee that's up.

My questions are:
-Is there a way to prevent this or is it just a risk that you have to accept with the position?

- Or is there a detail that I'm missing with the position to help me get a better base on the opposite side of the knee that's up in the middle?

Thanks, in advance.

Are you opening your base? When you put the knee up your other knee needs to swing out so it's perpendicular with the knee you've put up in between your opponents guard. Put your weight back and on that knee that's on the ground and it should be tough for your opponent to sweep you in that direction.

hey guys. Need some feedback again.

I was trying out the pass that BJ Penn shows on his BJJ 101 video. YouTube - BJJ 101 No Gi

Theres a position in the video (2:04) where he puts one knee up to prevent the guy from re-closing his guard. The pass worked really well with people at my level (noobs).

However, when I tried it with a higher level guy, I got swept on the opposite side of the knee that's up.

My questions are:
-Is there a way to prevent this or is it just a risk that you have to accept with the position?

- Or is there a detail that I'm missing with the position to help me get a better base on the opposite side of the knee that's up in the middle?

Thanks, in advance.

It is all about base and posture. If you have good posture and a good base, he won't have the leverage for a sweep. I have total stopped doing anything a basic guard pass. I posture up, staple his hips to the ground. I put the knee in his butt and spread my other leg to provide a strong base. Where BJ goes for the double unders, I tend to hope up to a combat base/guard surfing postion and go through his guard.

Regardless of whether I do that one, a single under or double under guard pass I break the guard the same way every time.

Back