BJ Penn vs. Ricardo Lamas targeted for UFC Fight Night: Manila

Lamas will win this fight, I think its too late for BJ. Few years ago BJ would have schooled him
Define a few years ago ? (Few years ago Lamas had beaten 3 straight top 8 fighters and was fighting for the belt).

Not exactly "schooled" material

I'll watch. I'll cringe and I'll still defend his talent at his apex despite resenting his mouth, lol. I would be rooting for Penn if he was in RFA fighting 3-3 guys. No fucks given, lol.

No one can dispute his talent, they can question his motivation and drive, but no one can say shit about his talent and what he accomplished.

Define a few years ago ? (Few years ago Lamas had beaten 3 straight top 8 fighters and was fighting for the belt).

Not exactly "schooled" material

We know what he meant to say, quit being so nit picky.

I agree. I can't say I blame him. Many athletes I admire go this route. It's expected honestly. It's still unfortunate however.

I'm just glad I got to watch Penn's fights during his prime when he was considered one of if not the best at the time, even if I hated him and his fans. He was one of the most unique and well rounded fighters of the time who'd fight anyone. He didn't give a fuck about the belts, just wanted to fight the best.

I'm just glad I got to watch Penn's fights during his prime when he was considered one of if not the best at the time, even if I hated him and his fans. He was one of the most unique and well rounded fighters of the time who'd fight anyone. He didn't give a fuck about the belts, just wanted to fight the best.

You don't have to like a guy to appreciate him. Respect.

I agree. I can't say I blame him. Many athletes I admire go this route. It's expected honestly. It's still unfortunate however.

Yea... I think he's addicted to the adrenaline rush, the adulation, knowing you're the best, just the feeling of winning. It's intoxicating, and I don't think money or anything else can equal or replicate it.

Hey Sub, you listen to BJ's interview with Cowboy on his podcast? Or the Open Mat Radio interview with him?

lamas will pick him apart. pretty tough first opponent back for penn

I love this fight. I just want BJ to have the worst record for a "legend." That way, people can leave Randy Couture alone.

Lamas via onesided beatdown

Wouldnt be upset if im wrong tho

Couldn't have typed it better myself.
Thanks SA. It's always tough for top level athletes to walk away. That adrenaline rush isn't something you get from sitting on a tractor, like Brett Favre said. Guys like that are just a different breed.

They can't get the feeling they get from competition anywhere else but competition. For a guy like Penn it's an addiction. It's just an itch he has to scratch.

You don't have to like a guy to appreciate him. Respect.

You definitely don't. That's one thing I like to pride myself on, is that I'm not and never have been a "fanboy" of any fighter. Obviously everyone has favourite fighters, but I like to think that I'm pretty impartial or unbiased.

I'm remembering what it was like on here like a decade ago talking about this now, but I was always a fan of GSP being a Canadian myself and there was obviously a rivalry back then especially on here between the fans of the two. Good times. I grew to appreciate BJ more the longer I watched his UFC career unfold and turned from a hater to a fan.

Yea... I think he's addicted to the adrenaline rush, the adulation, knowing you're the best, just the feeling of winning. It's intoxicating, and I don't think money or anything else can equal or replicate it.

Hey Sub, you listen to BJ's interview with Cowboy on his podcast? Or the Open Mat Radio interview with him?

No. But I should. Do you have links?

This is actually a fight BJ could win.

We know what he meant to say, quit being so nit picky.
I really have no idea what he meant to say because what he posted was both extreme and vague (I'm not a sherdog interperator so no, I don't "know what he meant to say")

No. But I should. Do you have links?

http://www.openmatradio.com/podcast/episode-8-bj-penn-pt-1/

http://www.openmatradio.com/podcast/episode-9-bj-penn-pt-2/

The Open Mat Radio Inteviews were the best BJ Penn interviews I've ever heard.

Talks about how he started in BJJ MMA, almost 2 hrs long. And the hosts explain how different BJJ was back then, and the who's who of BJJ that BJ trained with on a daily basis, often undersized. Most likely why he didn't care about weight divisions.

Penn fans still the most delusional in the sport.

Penn has no business with anyone near the top 10.

Back