BJ Penn vs. Ricardo Lamas targeted for UFC Fight Night: Manila

Man... fuck.

Penn needed an easier fight back. This won't end well.

This is the type of fight Penn should have taken instead of fighting guys like Diaz and Fitch.

Huge Penn fan. I just want him to enjoy retirement. He's a legitimate legend of the sport. If you've got a brain, even if you don't like the guy, you've got to admit that.

BJ doesn't need the cash, I dunno why he's still fighting.
The same reason Brett Favre was getting sacked by 300 pound lineman at 40. Because it's in their DNA. Penn came from money, he never had to fight. But it's his identity, it's who he is.

He identifies himself as an athlete and a fighter. He still feels capable of fighting on. I just don't want to see him wind up like Willie Mays falling down in centerfield.

Age and too many beatings in the cage. IMO I think the Nick and Rory fights really physically took a piece out of him.

All the weight jumps. Fight approach changes. Drama. Penn should be chilling with his beautiful wife and his cute kids. Fighters rarely know when to quit.

nina-dobrev-crying-make-it-stop.gif

I legit can't watch BJ get beat down again. God damnit no.

The same reason Brett Favre was getting sacked by 300 pound lineman at 40. Because it's in their DNA. Penn came from money, he never had to fight. But it's his identity, it's who he is.

He identifies himself as an athlete and a fighter. He still feels capable of fighting on. I just don't want to see him wind up like Willie Mays falling down in centerfield.

Couldn't have typed it better myself.

Goddamn, why don't they give him somebody he can beat. Siver/Miller were more reasonable.

Man... fuck.

Penn needed an easier fight back. This won't end well.

This is the type of fight Penn should have taken instead of fighting guys like Diaz and Fitch.

Huge Penn fan. I just want him to enjoy retirement. He's a legitimate legend of the sport. If you've got a brain, even if you don't like the guy, you've got to admit that.

Dude... I'm not sure if I want to watch it. Only one fighter left I'm emotionally vested in and that's BJ Penn, I'd prefer if he retire, teach at his gym and mentor the younger guys, and stay active in the UFC/BJJ/MMA scene. Whatever is driving him, fighting is not the answer for the void in his life.

I think I'm the only one who is actually looking forward to the fight, just to see BJ lose again of course. Never liked the guy, he's a legend and all, but I just don't like him. That said, if this is true, then he should retire if he losses again.

Good post, JB.

Dude... I'm not sure if I want to watch it. Only one fighter left I'm emotionally vested in and that's BJ Penn, I'd prefer if he retire, teach at his gym and mentor the younger guys, and stay active in the UFC/BJJ/MMA scene. Whatever is driving him, fighting is not the answer for the void in his life.

I'll watch. I'll cringe and I'll still defend his talent at his apex despite resenting his mouth, lol. I would be rooting for Penn if he was in RFA fighting 3-3 guys. No fucks given, lol.

Bj penn really shouldn't be fighting Ricardo lamas at this point

I'm not going to lie, I want to see BJ fight again but this isn't a good match up.. Can see Penn losing a boring decision. Someone like Cole Miller who he was originally booked against is the kind of opponent he should be facing. Give him someone he's likely to win against so he and the fans can enjoy it if it's his last showing.

All the weight jumps. Fight approach changes. Drama. Penn should be chilling with his beautiful wife and his cute kids. Fighters rarely know when to quit.

He's been doing is so long, I don't think he knows anything else. As much as he loves his wife and kids, domesticity bores him I think.

I don't trust his weight cut to 145.... anyone with speed is gonna give him problems there

He's been doing is so long, I don't think he knows anything else. As much as he loves his wife and kids, domesticity bores him I think.

I agree. I can't say I blame him. Many athletes I admire go this route. It's expected honestly. It's still unfortunate however.

Back