BJ Penn is Khabib's Kryptonite

latoya johnson

Double Black Card
@Green
Reaction score
While its clear UFC fighter BJ Penn's best days are behind him, he used to be the best fighter in the world. Even fellow fighters, like Anderson Silva, still consider him the MMA GOAT,

and while he may not be the fighter he once was, stylistically, he's a nightmare match-up for reigning lightweight champion, Khabib Nurmagomedov, as we'll soon see.

BJ may not be known for his take-down defense anymore, but true fight fans will remember that he's still a fleet-footed and dangerous striker with a killer instinct when he smells an opening.
FarflungPersonalCanadagoose-size_restricted.gif

They may also recall his grappling pedigree. BJ is a Brazilian Ju Jitsu black belt. Many seasoned fighters have tasted defeat at the hands of his arsenal of submission techniques.
MetallicInconsequentialBoto-size_restricted.gif

He's also infamous for having a punishing guard, a rare talent in mixed martial arts.
Known for his flexibility, the Hawaiian native has proven quite adept at stifling the offense of his opponents after being taken down.

Finally, BJ's greatest advantage is that he's still growing as a martial artist.
Recently, we've seen him add another shade of strategy to his repertoire--playing possum.
Two months ago In Hawaii, BJ participated in an unsanctioned MMA bout, wherein he feigned being hurt to instill a false sense of security in his opponent.
UnitedCooperativeCockatiel-size_restricted.gif

He would go on to win this match via TKO after his opponent was exhausted.
2019.08.28-11.01-themixnet-5d6707d8cd0b0-600x273.jpg

Bottom Line
While his recent record doesn't look impressive at first glance, remember, styles make fights.

Penn's legacy and career accomplishments make him more than worthy of a final shot at gold before riding off into the sunset, and while I wouldn't bet the house on him against the champion, I'm not ready to write off the "Prodigy" just yet.
web1_20190905_brk_bjp01.jpg

Last edited:
BJ Penn is BJ Penn's kryptonite...

I was gonna slam you, but you have a cat AV so its all good. Much respect.

Quite the trolling. Bravo.

Prime BJ would certainly blow him out of the water.

Prime BJ vs Khabib would have been an interesting fight.

The BJ Penn from UFC 107 perhaps would have boxed up Khabib and not been mauled with takedowns.

While its clear UFC fighter BJ Penn's best days are behind him, he used to be the best fighter in the world. Even fellow fighters, like Anderson Silva, still consider him the MMA GOAT,

and while he may not be the fighter he once was, stylistically, he's a nightmare match-up for reigning lightweight champion, Khabib Nurmagomedov, as we'll soon see.

BJ may not be known for his take-down defense anymore, but true fight fans will remember that he's still a fleet-footed and dangerous striker with a killer instinct when he smells an opening.
FarflungPersonalCanadagoose-size_restricted.gif

They may also recall his grappling pedigree. BJ is a Brazilian Ju Jitsu black belt. Many seasoned fighters have tasted defeat at the hands of his arsenal of submission techniques.
MetallicInconsequentialBoto-size_restricted.gif

He's also infamous for having a punishing guard, a rare talent in mixed martial arts.
Known for his flexibility, the Hawaiian native has proven quite adept at stifling the offense of his opponents after being taken down.

Finally, BJ's greatest advantage is that he's still growing as a martial artist.
Recently, we've seen him add another shade of strategy to his repertoire--playing possum.
Two months ago In Hawaii, BJ participated in an unsanctioned MMA bout, wherein he feigned being hurt to instill a false sense of security in his opponent.
UnitedCooperativeCockatiel-size_restricted.gif

He would go on to win this match via TKO after his opponent was exhausted.
2019.08.28-11.01-themixnet-5d6707d8cd0b0-600x273.jpg

Bottom Line
While his recent record doesn't look impressive at first glance, remember, styles make fights.

Penn's legacy and career accomplishments make him more than worthy of a final shot at gold before riding off into the sunset, and while I wouldn't bet the house on him against the champion, I'm not ready to write off the "Prodigy" just yet.
web1_20190905_brk_bjp01.jpg
Can I get a witness...?

Back