BJ Penn at 145

We'll never know unless he decides to fight someone other than Frankie at FW.

Frankie will make him look bad, he just has BJ's number.

I hope BJ can drop his obsession with Frankie and make another run at LW.

BJ won the first fight with Edgar. Judges were clueless. Edgar tooled BJ in the rematch. So no, Edgar does not have BJ's number. Try to be objective...

Does anyone else have this feeling Penn is either gonna miss the weight by a few pounds or do his first big cut wrong that he'll be completely sapped? He should have had a 155Lb fight in between the layoff.

It's just sad really, regardless of how he performs.

This is a man who once held the 170pound championship.

Now he has to fight at 145 just to have a career.

Thinking back I can't believe Penn fought Rory MacDonald. What an absolute destruction.

I love BJ and I probably would of picked him over most 145ers but Frankies style is just a bad match up for him.

I want to see a different gameplan from BJ this time around. Frankie is too quick on the feet and BJ looked decent when he attempted/took Frankie down. I think if he can manage to take Frankie down and use his nasty BJJ skills he may have a shot but I am still not sure.

BJ won the first fight with Edgar. Judges were clueless. Edgar tooled BJ in the rematch. So no, Edgar does not have BJ's number. Try to be objective...

You try to be objective.

First fight was close and could of gone either way.
Second fight Edgar put it together and dominated.

How could you not think Frankie figured Penn out?
Those fights show Frankie improved his game plan and figured out
Penn the second time around.

his head will get bounced around, again. needless. i don't want to see this.

His obsession with Edgar is starting to feel like the obsession with GSP. I'll always root for Penn since I've been a fan for too long to turn my back on him but I can't understand why he can just take a reasonable fight at LW vs Gomi or someone like that.

He would get killed at 155
vincent-price-o-rly.gif

I'm glad he's dropping the weight but I really wish he wasn't fighting Edgar. Edgar is a bad matchup for him with that in-and-out stick-and-move strategy.

The fan in me is choosing to believe that BJ just completely no-showed their second fight and that this one will play out more like the first (which I had for BJ. Judges have a bad habit of scoring quantity and busyness over quality) or better. If BJ can hurt Edgar like Maynard did, that fight is getting finished (Penn is on a completely different planet than Gray when it comes to finishing ability). Big "if" though.

i like Bj and respect him, but im not buying the hype that hes gonna "make a run" at 145. if he doesn't beat frankie then he should retire imo.

This is clearly the fact of the first Penn/Edgar fight. By every accepted, measurable standard of MMA Judging, Penn won that fight.
IF the fight occurs, and I have my doubts, and if it's 3 rounds Frankie has a problem.
Does BJ need to be concerned with being finished? No. Can BJ better defend the TD knowing that Frankie can't hurt him? Yes. Can BJ hurt Edgar and follow up for a finish? Yes.
I am skeptical that this FW "fight" is a charade conjured up by Dana in order to revive a staid, tiresome TUF Reality Show. However, I can envision a Catchweight of perhaps 150 llbs. We will see.
I, with certainty, accept that BJ Penn has no desire for fighting at FW.

You try to be objective.

First fight was close and could of gone either way.
Second fight Edgar put it together and dominated.

How could you not think Frankie figured Penn out?
Those fights show Frankie improved his game plan and figured out
Penn the second time around.

What makes you think that Penn is incapable of handling a third Training Camp and Fight differently?
We have no idea what the dynamics were for BJ Penn in the lead up to their rematch. Each lead up too and each fight itself is unique; life happens.

Penn sounds motivated, hes gonna do well in this fight.

I'm going with the upset.

I think we potentially get to see a really good BJ, the best BJ in the octagon for years and years.

Seriously, if he makes 145, he will probably have to go on a strict diet and have a solid camp which leads me to believe that he might not gas in the 2nd/3rd and could beat most, if not all, top 10 guys. BJ after losing a couple of times is very underrated and most of his defeats (besides Edgar) have come when he's either fat or outmuscled (like GSP #2 - he got dominated badly by a guy that has the power of a MW).

hughes was stronger than GSP is IMO and bj did alright with him

Back