BJ Penn adds another name to his list of super coaches

Rumor is, Coleman is going to be his muay thai coach.

Coleman-shadow-boxing.gif

lol

he's talking about TUF, you halfwits.

All the super coaches are not going to do anything in the world if you don't put the work in yourself.

Edgar is going to beat him, Edgar has been forged by fire even in his loses he's tougher than a brick shithouse and has a dynamo for a heart.
I think this is for TUF.
I'm pretty sure this is in reference to TUF and not the Edgar fight.

Seems like we were the only ones who assumed this. Good on BJ for trying to put together the best team for his contestants. I never saw TUF 5, was his coaching staff good in that season?

I actually think Coleman will be a better coach than he was a fighter. He can teach anybody wrestling and probably has some slick drills to help BJ out.

its hard to imagine that mark coleman would be a bad choice to coach your wrestling. he might not be the most popular wrestling figurehead in the world right now or the flavor of the month, but he might be a good coach, particularly in terms of experience using wrestling for mma. itd be weirder if he chose coleman as his wrestling training partner. it's not about who is the best name or who was the better wrestler in terms of credentials all the time. sometimes the best coaches for you have nothing to do with what someone else has done and more to do with how they get you to effectively implement the plan. getting coached by mark coleman does not make you turn into mark coleman, but im sure he has pearls of wrestling wisdom to feed bj.

Indeed Mark has a long storied and successful career in MMA and freestyle wrestling. He clearly knows both sports and also founded Hammer House which focuses on JUST MMA wrestling (though they cross train with other gyms) and undoubtedly knows what it means to coach and be a figurehead for a gym.

I would imagine Coleman has some knack for coaching outside of his wrestling success.

I don't think BJ needs the most highly skilled coaches. He needs ones who will keep him in shape and in the right frame of mind for the fight.

rumor is also bj brought in chuck liddell to be the dance instructor :icon_lol:

I think this is for TUF.

Seems like we were the only ones who assumed this. Good on BJ for trying to put together the best team for his contestants. I never saw TUF 5, was his coaching staff good in that season?

Yeah, On 2nd thought I assumed this as well

Coleman's also going to help him with cardio for his fight with Frankie.

Is Coleman a good coach? I don't know. Tito is a damn good coach. People way over hill often have plenty to offer.

Dudes talking shit about The Hammer's wrestling? What has the world come to?

while Colemans wrestling is legendary, i really hope BJ is thinking "modern" for this fight. obviously everybody's not buddies with everybody, but i would have liked to see him work with someone more current like Cormier. Or shields since he just claimed the #1 ground game at ww. either way, this fight will come down to a LOT more than just wrestling. he needs to be ready for the varied attack that edgar and rory used on him

I thought those were the coaches for TUF and not his camp, with the exception of Andres P.

There are a lot of wrestling coaches, who are far less qualified than Coleman--he was one of the best wrestlers in the world at one point.

Nothing but hespect for the Godfather but the man seems like he would be a terrible coach

Coleman likely needs the money. I'm happy to see him a part of it. He is a fucking Olympic wrestler - he is more than qualified to teach TUF prospects.

Coleman likely needs the money. I'm happy to see him a part of it. He is a fucking Olympic wrestler - he is more than qualified to teach TUF prospects.

I'm sure he has taught his fair share of wrestling camps throughout the years.

Back