Bispings Chin - TheStrikingGuy

Bisping and MANY if not most MMA fighters often break the first law you learn in boxing as a 12 year old backing up in a straight line. Hitting pads does not make you a boxer...

Kampmann did this exact sillyness vs Hedricks and I believe Bisping did it and paid as well vs Hendo.

If you fight at an appropriate range it's fine. For instance if you're out at kicking range you can back straight up as many Thai boxers etc do.

It's trying to go from punching range straight back every time that gets folks in trouble.

Stefan Struve and Kampmann are both incredible at putting their own back on the fence from wherever they are in the octagon :icon_lol:

If you fight at an appropriate range it's fine. For instance if you're out at kicking range you can back straight up as many Thai boxers etc do.

It's trying to go from punching range straight back every time that gets folks in trouble.

Stefan Struve and Kampmann are both incredible at putting their own back on the fence from wherever they are in the octagon :icon_lol:

I'm not sure what your point is. it's never ok to do this when striking. What I think you are saying is it's ok to do it when you're no longer in range. which is beside the point, of course you can back up in straight line if you're out of range and not being swung at..

Awesome, thanks TS. I love listening to Hopkins. There aren't too many battle tested veteran champions that are also articulate. That man can teach you so much in just a short video. Great stuff. And the analysis on Bisping is good too.

Sorry to interrupt. But what is this about you not posting your articles on here anymore? Is that true?

Bispings got a fantastic chin.

Knocked out once in his entire career, by one of the heaviest hitters ever in MMA.

"In truth Bisping's real strengths are his cardio and his striking variety and pace - not his technical ability."

Perfectly said.

Great article, pointed out a shitload of stuff I didn't even notice. I'm surprised these issues haven't been addressed and worked on for a long time. If they have been addressed then Bisping doesn't seem to be adapting

A lot of MMA guys have a tendency to bring a jab back to their body as this allows them to reset better under the fear of takedowns.

This is how people like GSP can be so successful against supposedly good strikers. It is also why a great striker like JDS was lit up by Cain despite having better striking credentials.

I would guess that one of the reasons Bisping has excellent TDD and scrambling ability is due to this tendency too.

However, every fighter at some point must learn to use shoulders for chin defence and role with punches better.

This (as the striking guy clearly explains) is a massive weakeness for Bisping. He circles to power and doesn't protect his chin.

If you contrast him with someone like Gustafson you can see a clear defensive difference. Gus regularly brings his hands back to his body BUT is very adept at using his shoulders and footwork to avoid power strikes.
This is doubtlessly down to his good boxing pedigree.

If Bisping could improve in these areas and retain the key aspects of his game he could be a much better fighter.

EDIT: Also thanks for the excellent article TSG is always a great read

Bispings got a fantastic chin.

Knocked out once in his entire career, by one of the heaviest hitters ever in MMA.

Nobody with a "fantastic chin" has been put into a coma by a single blow. He may not have a weak chin, but it is not on the level of Hendo, Shogun, Cote etc. He may have only been knocked out once but he was also dropped and on his way to being TKO'd against Wanderlei.

His chin is average, unless you can post footage of him absorbing significant damage on par with fighters I've listed.

A lot of MMA guys have a tendency to bring a jab back to their body as this allows them to reset better under the fear of takedowns.

This is how people like GSP can be so successful against supposedly good strikers. It is also why a great striker like JDS was lit up by Cain despite having better striking credentials.

I would guess that one of the reasons Bisping has excellent TDD and scrambling ability is due to this tendency too.

However, every fighter at some point must learn to use shoulders for chin defence and role with punches better.

This (as the striking guy clearly explains) is a massive weakeness for Bisping. He circles to power and doesn't protect his chin.

If you contrast him with someone like Gustafson you can see a clear defensive difference. Gus regularly brings his hands back to his body BUT is very adept at using his shoulders and footwork to avoid power strikes.

If Bisping could improve in these areas and retain the key aspects of his game he could be a much better fighter.

good post. of course there is a give & take with quality boxing when it comes to MMA; no one will ever have great "pure" boxing, simply because doing so would allow the opponent to beat them using the vast array of other disciplines/attacks. and as you point out, Bisping - maybe out of necessity for TDD - drops his hands, but if he's going to do that he really should (as TSG points out) hid he chin in others ways. like Gustaffson.

Chuck made that sacrifice. He kept his hands low so he could defend takedowns better. It caught up to him once his reflexes started to fade.

Nobody with a "fantastic chin" has been put into a coma by a single blow. He may not have a weak chin, but it is not on the level of Hendo, Shogun, Cote etc. He may have only been knocked out once but he was also dropped and on his way to being TKO'd against Wanderlei.

His chin is average, unless you can post footage of him absorbing significant damage on par with fighters I've listed.

Nelson has a fantastic chin, and Arlovski basically put him out with a single blow.

Nobody with a "fantastic chin" has been put into a coma by a single blow.

Mark Hunt
Roy Nelson
Rampage
Fedor
Fujita
Noguiera

You can get knocked out no matter how good your chin is.

No, i'm not saying Bispings chin is on the level of any of these guys......but it's damn solid.....

Back