Bisping FOTY 2016

NinjitsuMaster

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Notable wins over legends Anderson Silva and Dan Henderson. A spectacular KO of champion Luke Rockhold. 2016 was Bispings year.

While on paper it's hard to argue against Bisping, it should be noted that his two win against Silva and Hendo were close decisions and silva essentially KO'd him. If those fights weren't in England who knows who wins

I think Stipe has a good shot at FOTY - 3 x 1st round KO's including winning the title and defending it once

Cody also has 3 1st round KO's and a spectacular win over Cruz

I'd give it to bisping or Cody, now that he won impressively

In no particular order:
Miocic (Arlovski, Werdum (C), Overeem. Getting Streaks seems to be even harder at HW)
Nunes (Shevchenko, Tate (C), Rousey)
Garbrandt (Mendes, Almeida, Mizugaki, Cruz (C))

Miocic and Nunes faced the overall better competition, while Garbrandt has one additional win and problably the "highest peak win" against Cruz.
Bispings year was really good, but Henderson and Silva are both close to retirement and still almost got him.

In no particular order:
Miocic (Arlovski, Werdum (C), Overeem. Getting Streaks seems to be even harder at HW)

Miocic and Nunes faced the overall better competition, while Garbrandt has one additional win and problably the "highest peak win" against Cruz.
Bispings year was really good, but Henderson and Silva are both close to retirement and still almost got him.

You somehow forgot to mention Bisping knocking out Rockhold.

In no particular order:

I like this list and reasoning but I'd vote Mike in a poll

You somehow forgot to mention Bisping knocking out Rockhold.
His left hook against Rockhold is the only reason he is considered for this list. I dont think that I have to remind anyone of that glorious moment of joy.

His left hook against Rockhold is the only reason he is considered for this list. I dont think that I have to remind anyone of that glorious moment of joy.

If you're trying to come up with reasons as to why someone would be named fighter of the year, leaving out someones best win seems kinda weird.

Bisping beat 2 shopworn legends and got a great fluke against Luke. Him being fighter of the year is like praising Holmes for beating down Ali with parkinsons.

If you're trying to come up with reasons as to why someone would be named fighter of the year, leaving out someones best win seems kinda weird.
My intention was to bring up reasons why Bisping is, in contrast to what TS claims, NOT fighter of the year in my opinion. Therefore, I focused on the reasons that support my view.
And just to get it right, I rooted for Bisping in all his fights this year.

My intention was to bring up reasons why Bisping is, in contrast to what TS claims, NOT fighter of the year in my opinion. Therefore, I focused on the reasons that support my view.

Imo, your opinion would stand stronger if you had actually mentioned Bisping beating Rockhold, and the made an argument as to why that win shouldn't be considered.

Imo, Bisping's win vs Rockhold is the single biggest accomplishment of the year.

Back