Biscuitsbrah boxing sparring

Pretty much.

I just watched the third round, you did much better with stance there but it's still not 100%.
It takes a good while to nail it even when you know what it's supposed to be. Your shoulders/torso is too square and open currently.
Pro boxing is not the best place to look for a guide on fundamentals because so much of it is about both setting traps and entertainment.
In pro boxing Jorge Linares and Naoya Inoue are good examples of the conventional side on stance done well. Both actually use longer than necessary stances because it allows you to shoot in and out for meaningfully powerful straight punches.
Pro boxers, especially Naoya tend to be front foot heavy at all times this allows for power andiand accuracy in your jab but removes power from the right hand.
If you watch amateur boxing by Russians etc. They spend a lot of time on back foot doing "provoking jabs" with no power in them. They can pendulum bounce back and forth (and side to side) in the rear foot heavy position and at the right time simultaneously throw the right hand and shift weight to front foot, for a powerful right hand.
The shift of bodyweight together with an aggressive snappy shoulder turn from rear to front puts the maximum meat into a straight right punch.

After you have learned all the fundamental components of your side on stance, straight punches, blocks, Parry's and counters which are used at long range.
Then work on hooks! Where short arms,a turning of the body and shifts of bodyweight from left to right (as opposed to forward and back) is where power comes from.
Nice breakdown. Definitely gonna be playing around with shifting my weight and staying in a good boxing stance. I cant help but stand kind of square torso-wise but well see if I can make it more bladed.

Nice breakdown. Definitely gonna be playing around with shifting my weight and staying in a good boxing stance. I cant help but stand kind of square torso-wise but well see if I can make it more bladed.
Square stance isn't wrong but it's best to learn the most trustworthy stance first and that is the side on one.
There are three basic fundamental stances , these are

The side on conventional stance as used by most amateur boxers.

The square stance (not truly square but similar to Muay Thai).

And the lead hand down / Philly shell style.

Each stance has its own individual styles of punches, slips and blocks. So as a beginner it is best to learn one at a time.
The side on stance is both the most trustworthy and there is the most learning resources available and it is best for moving in and out. All things that make it good for beginners to learn first. But of course learn the others at some point.

Most boxers switch into a fully square stance when infighting except for the likes of James Toney who maintained a Philly shell side on stance even when skin to skin.
Which ever foot you shift your weight to in infighting is the side you throw body shots from and that foot should move a little forwards for balance but only slightly.

Got some boxing sparring in yesterday. We had 3 people and were rotating but I only have footage of me going with one guy because he was recording his rounds. Anyways I’m always open to learn and receive tips so please help!
Btw I’m in the white shirt lol

I notice I tend to lean back or drop my hands at the wrong time a lot. Not sure how to fix besides keeping it in my mind.

This round I was trying to engage more and hold my ground. Obviously I’m not very comfortable in the pocket or staying in exchange range but I’m working on it and this is a very good training partner to help me get there. (Him being a swarmer)

First round is on the same YouTube channel. Left it out because we were just warming up and going really light.
I also know that concrete and no headgear are big no-no’s but we really aren’t trying to drop each other and I guess a random punch could do it but man that would be really really rare

For relaxation I recommend doing free sparring in such way: 1st round - left hand only, 2nd round - left hand all, right hand only to the body, 3rd round - free. And more focus on partner drills, something like 1:50 .

For relaxation I recommend doing free sparring in such way: 1st round - left hand only, 2nd round - left hand all, right hand only to the body, 3rd round - free. And more focus on partner drills, something like 1:50 .

That’s a good channel. Idk if it was you that recommended it or not

Yeah honestly I think we are just both too polite. I just don’t always know how hard he’s down to get hit because his style is to get hit a lot.

Yeah I could stick and move but I always do that to him honestly and I always do it in general. I’m trying to work my mid to close range boxing more
being comfortable in the pocket will help your mma a lot.

i like what you were doing with your jab. tracking to your left nicely as you throw it.

i think you nearly hit him with every straight you threw. in a lot of ways you boxing is actually vastly better than your opponents. he was letting you set angles on him constantly (thats why your jab was working so well). i don't think your need to move more, just more precisely. also you need to try circling "out" so he isn't pinning your against the wall. are you training boxing for mma? if so i recommend keeping more of your weight over your back foot to you can check more effectively. front foot heavy fighters are usually infighters and left hookers. keeping more weight on your back foot will also add power to the right.

Nice session! Loved how you sneak a lot of uppercuts

About getting comfortable in the pocket I would say that doing a lot drills would definitely work better than trying to do it in sparring. I don't know if you're not already doing that, but if you are just keep up

position yourself behind his earlobe. Small steps and turns

Second that, if skills pay the bills, drills build the skills.

Back