Movies Birds Of Prey Bombs at Boxoffice with Only 33Mil

Birds of Prey?

More like Birds of Belong Back in the Kitchen, amirite?

Idunno why I laughed at this stupid joke so goddamn hard!

source.gif

Having seen it, i think it'll leg out a solid Box Office run as its very good. Like has been said everywhere, it's a non-linear crime flick. Tarantino-esque.
It also reminded me of 80s movies like Better Off Dead and One Crazy Summer in that Its about a person who tries to "find themselves" or get out of a slump and ends up getting caught up in a wild adventure. Loved Harley's mascots and i was not prepared for MEW to be as funny as she was. Hope we see more of her as Huntress.

Only negatives... what was the purpose of making it an R rated movie if you're not going to make full use of graphic violence, and/or nudity? The only other negative is that its not really an "event" movie. Not even on the same scale as either Deadpool movie. The action is very fun and inventive, but not eye-popping in terms of visuals or graphic violence.

Last edited:
Producers be like...

Birds of pray we break even.

The DC universe has an identity crisis. You just had an artsy R-rated "Joker" movie crack a billion dollars, and then it's right back to the "Suicide Squad" universe that everyone hated. They gotta pick a street. Keep Robbie as Harley Quinn, but get her the fuck out the Marvel wannabe shit. Ret-con the whole thing, and start fresh with a Harley Quinn origin in the style of "Joker", and try to cement that as the DC universe style going forward. This wannabe Marvel shit ain't working.

Margot playing a coked out sex addict nurse in an insane asylum in a dark NC-17 origin story.

<{jackyeah}>

Eh. It's and R rated chick flick action-er aimed specifically at Women. It's more like Hustlers than Wonder Woman, Black Widow, or Captain Marvel.

And It'll probably end up making at least 300 million world wide (Domestic + Worldwide) -- on less than a 100 million dollar budget. Far from a bomb.

This is what happens when as a studio, you take creative risks. Sometimes you hit a Home-run (Joker), and sometimes you hit a Single or Double (Birds of Prey).

I hate this type of pedantic criticism. It only punishes studios for taking creative risks in making their films. We should all be rooting for them to try different shit as opposed to just making the same freaking movie, over, and over, and over, and over, again.

Agree wholeheartedly with your sentiment. The Joker was extremely depressing to watch. It’s like watching Taxi Driver and pretty sure it influenced the film but it’s a critical and financial success. Birds Of Prey had an uphill struggle as Suicide Squad was a failure but Margot did an amazing job bringing that character to life.

People complain about movies being formulaic and Marvel has it down to a science. You know you will get some drama, lots of action, comedy and very tightly edited films. The one exception was Winter Soldier which was somewhat political but predictable of rogue government types who know better and Iron Man seeing his parents butchered was rather graphic for a a Marvel film. But I suppose it makes it more compelling when Stark goes nuts and wants to kill Winter Soldier.

Stark was never a RDJ snarky fast talking character but rather serious and an alcoholic. Not sure why that was completely removed in the films.

Even Deadpool was seen as a huge risk and the actor had to lobby hard with his own test footage.

I watched it and it was well done but not great but a solid fun movie. I wish they stuck closer to the source material. Huntress should of been a lot darker and it would have made her much comedic because the whole point was she lacked social skills.

It's yet another "female power, rah rah" movie. It's the same thing they've been doing for awhile. Same as Terminator Dark Fate, same as Charlie's Angels, etc. And it looks like it's gonna return about the same box office.

Hollywood keeps trying to shove feminism down everybody's throat and it keeps blowing up in their faces. One day maybe they'll finally get the point.

What about the Charlie Angels films? Thought they did well. Well received. So what changed?

Perhaps they should have showed their titties. I haven't seen it. Did they?

Marvel will keep on making the same solo movies over and over again, Avengers team up's aside, ad infinitum, as the mouth-breathing fans keep screaming to the heavens how all of them are so brilliant.

I've got tickets to see Bird of Prey tonight so i'll withhold judgement till I've seen it, unlike most of these maggots, who haven't seen it and are already proclaiming it d.o.a... which is NOT happening anyway, lol, because it's so inexpensive that it'll end up making bank as soon as it hits 300 million WW.
Something tells me you hate Marvel for doing better than DC.

Just like a bitter ex gf LMAO

Let me guess, another forgettable villain lmao

Although Loki is easily the best character they have right now.

Will pass though, even my wife and 10year old daughter are tired of the bs women are strong and gays are good crap.

No Star Wars

No marvel

But still intriguing what DC is up to.

It must be hard to be you

Eh. It's and R rated chick flick action-er aimed specifically at Women. It's more like Hustlers than Wonder Woman, Black Widow, or Captain Marvel.

And It'll probably end up making at least 300 million world wide (Domestic + Worldwide) -- on less than a 100 million dollar budget. Far from a bomb.

This is what happens when as a studio, you take creative risks. Sometimes you hit a Home-run (Joker), and sometimes you hit a Single or Double (Birds of Prey).

I hate this type of pedantic criticism. It only punishes studios for taking creative risks in making their films. We should all be rooting for them to try different shit as opposed to just making the same freaking movie, over, and over, and over, and over, again.
What the fuck are you talking about?

Birds of Prey isn't a "creative risk". It's drawing from the least risky playbook-- format and genre-- in the industry for 2020, and marrying that to the flavor-of-the-moment SJW girlpower schtick. It's like some Frankenstein of blockbuster drivel intended to be a mindless, zero-effort slam dunk on return revenue.

You know what would actually be risky? A conservative superhero. Seriously, an anti-immigration protagonist who is portrayed positively.

That's a risk. That would be revolutionary in today's blockbuster scene.

Because making a super hero movies these days, boy, it doesn't get any riskier and more creative than that!

Agree wholeheartedly with your sentiment. The Joker was extremely depressing to watch. It’s like watching Taxi Driver and pretty sure it influenced the film but it’s a critical and financial success. Birds Of Prey had an uphill struggle as Suicide Squad was a failure but Margot did an amazing job bringing that character to life.

People complain about movies being formulaic and Marvel has it down to a science. You know you will get some drama, lots of action, comedy and very tightly edited films. The one exception was Winter Soldier which was somewhat political but predictable of rogue government types who know better and Iron Man seeing his parents butchered was rather graphic for a a Marvel film. But I suppose it makes it more compelling when Stark goes nuts and wants to kill Winter Soldier.

Stark was never a RDJ snarky fast talking character but rather serious and an alcoholic. Not sure why that was completely removed in the films.

Even Deadpool was seen as a huge risk and the actor had to lobby hard with his own test footage.

I watched it and it was well done but not great but a solid fun movie. I wish they stuck closer to the source material. Huntress should of been a lot darker and it would have made her much comedic because the whole point was she lacked social skills.
The MCUs Stark isn't based on normal continuity Tony Stark, but on the Ultimates Tony. The entire mcu is in fact. Down to the lineup of the avengers and Nick Fury being black.

The DC universe has an identity crisis. You just had an artsy R-rated "Joker" movie crack a billion dollars, and then it's right back to the "Suicide Squad" universe that everyone hated. They gotta pick a street. Keep Robbie as Harley Quinn, but get her the fuck out the Marvel wannabe shit. Ret-con the whole thing, and start fresh with a Harley Quinn origin in the style of "Joker", and try to cement that as the DC universe style going forward. This wannabe Marvel shit ain't working.

It´s really strange how DC have completely fucked up their movie universe. They have been miles ahead of Marvel on the animated front for years.

What about the Charlie Angels films? Thought they did well. Well received. So what changed?

The originals with Lucy Lu, Drew Barrymore, and Cameron Diaz shaking their tits and asses made money. The recent feminist version with Kristen Stewart is one of the biggest flops of the year.

Look at those two statements and I think you can figure out what changed.

Back