Opinion Bill Maher please shut up

One can't argue that rationally given that job growth was continuing on the pre-Trump trajectory (slowed a bit, actually). Wage growth has actually stalled, which is incongruous with the idea that we're approaching full employment (which would be the explanation for the slower job growth). Also, what regulations are you referring to?

And tariffs don't mean that at all.

You don't think that's an honest response to his post, do you?

saupload_median-household-income-in-the-21st-century-nominal-and-real-estimates-200001-thru-201806.png

-1x-1.png

We're currently at 3.7% Unemployment.

And it doesn't prove causation, but the opposite isn't happening.

Ugh. Obviously my points are about correlation and causation here, so the sarcasm is just and annoying waste of time. Maybe I’m giving you too much credit and you didn’t grasp my point so I’ll make it clear - presidents don’t have much to do with the economy. And the tax cuts and tariffs are well understood and well studied and they’re not leading to more jobs and higher wages. You brought up a theoretical but that’s not convincing because we know what the policy is actually doing.

So going forward can you please avoid butchering my opinion? You can always just ask me.

It doesn't prove causation, but the opposite isn't happening. We're currently at 3.7% Unemployment and Wages are still up.

See the images above this post.

heya Trotsky,

Mr. Maher is a libertarian, really. he likes all the standard fare that a Republican would trot out - he just doesn't use God as an excuse.

the new policies proposed by Mr. Sanders and Mrs. Warren will hit him squarely in his wallet; and he doesn't have a great deal of interest in that.

all his blather about being politically incorrect, is just that; utter nonsense (neither Sanders or Warren are much for identity politics, if Maher really cared about such things, one would figure he'd line up in support of them).

he just wants to smoke his herb and to keep his money and enjoy his dayjob as a talk show host.

- IGIT

You really believe this?

It doesn't prove causation, but the opposite isn't happening. We're currently at 3.7% Unemployment and Wages are still up.

But I didn’t make that claim which is why this conversation is annoying.

The graphs show what I was talking about. A slowdown in job growth (expected because we should be nearing full employment) and a slowdown in wage growth (unexpected because it should be stronger in a tight labor market).

(P) Biden + (VP) Harris is the Democrat's strongest ticket, and you're just whining because Maher is a realist who actually wants to win elections instead of repeating the infantile tantrums that led to a schism and Trump in 2016.

Trump's going to win again, pal.

Bill Maher the man who help sell Hillary Clinton now going after progressive dems. He's attacking Bernie Sanders, Tulsi Gibbard, heck even Warren and he's hurting the front runners in the hopes of boosting Biden and Harris.

It gets better he claims progressive candidates will chase younger voters away. He said you don't need to redo healthcare just push to legalize marijuana for the youth vote. Like they are one issue voters that fair wages affordable healthcare an jobs will not win the youth vote.

I'm typing this as he blows out his nonsense on MSNBC. I may have some parts wrong but he is protecting the status quo an helping Trump get reelected.

No link to post he's now comparing Williamson to the progressive front runners. He is protecting his rich neoliberal executives at his network. Piece of crap.
Oh, but it was cool when he was pooping all over Donny!

DONNY GOAT

SEXY IVANKA 2024

The graphs show what I was talking about. A slowdown in job growth (expected because we should be nearing full employment) and a slowdown in wage growth (unexpected because it should be stronger in a tight labor market).

It's arguable that the unemployment graph is showing a slowing down, but the wage graph definitely doesn't show a slowdown - if it had stayed on its '11-'15 course nominal wages would be around 57k

saupload_median-household-income-in-the-21st-century-nominal-and-real-estimates-200001-thru-201806.png

It blows my mind that people actually choose to spend part other day watching Bill Maher.

It's arguable that the unemployment graph is showing a slowing down, but the wage graph definitely doesn't show a slowdown - if it had stayed on its '11-'15 course nominal wages would be around 57k

Why would you care about nominal wages? You don't see the slowdown in the blue line, just as you'd expect it to increase?

I think most of us realize that presidents don't have a lot to do with the economy, but if you're trying to make the opposite claim *and* argue that Trump has been a positive, you'll have to explain A) what he's done specifically that would plausibly affect the numbers, B) why job growth is (inarguably) slowing down, and C) why wage growth has been so poor given apparently tight labor markets.

It is funny. Because even the most red-baiting of faux-capitalist right wingers like Madmick would ultimately prefer a Stalinist to a liberal, and they would call the Stalinist, who wants to expropriate private business and collectivize private property, a more reasonable moderate because they also are bigoted toward minorities.

It's never been more obvious than now that the American right is 100% identity politics. That's it. There's nothing else - economic policy, principles of judicial restraint or limited government - holding them together.

Imagine Bernie Sanders platform but with some old-fashioned bigotry and anti-immigrant demagoguery sprinkled on top, he would be the most popular president ever.

Imagine Bernie Sanders platform but with some old-fashioned bigotry and anti-immigrant demagoguery sprinkled on top, he would be the most popular president ever.

Yeah, that would have the most popular aspects of both coalitions. Trump played at that in 2016, promising not to touch entitlements, a leftward turn in FP, expanded healthcare coverage (with no tradeoffs!), and progressive changes in taxes ("there are some people in the very upper echelons that won’t be thrilled." and "In other words, it’s going to cost me a fortune”). It'll be harder for him to play that game in 2020, given that we know now (those of us who didn't already) that those were all lies.

It is funny. Because even the most red-baiting of faux-capitalist right wingers like Madmick would ultimately prefer a Stalinist to a liberal, and they would call the Stalinist, who wants to expropriate private business and collectivize private property, a more reasonable moderate because they also are bigoted toward minorities.

It's never been more obvious than now that the American right is 100% identity politics. That's it. There's nothing else - economic policy, principles of judicial restraint or limited government - holding them together.
@Madmick is a conservative? Why don’t you tag him if you peddle stuff about him? Sounds weak to me.

@Madmick is a conservative? Why don’t you tag him if you peddle stuff about him? Sounds weak to me.

Yes, I agree that "a conservative" would be an absolutely reprehensible thing to call an intelligent or otherwise decent person, but it's true about Mick. Although I do think that "reactionary" and "angry incel" are both more fitting terms.

One might argue that cutting regulations has allowed the creation of more jobs - it's certainly a fact that unemployment is down and wages are up.

One could argue that. Of course, the long-term trends preceding the "cutting regulations" would seem to show that the argument is baseless.

And theoretically tarrifs mean American companies can "compete" with low paying Chinese companies - so again more jobs even though consumers are paying more for the goods.
That’s theoretical and not based on what’s actually happening, though.
So unemployment has actually gone up during all of this? I obviously missed that news.

<31>

Old Maher's a relic amongst his political side, just like ol' Joe Biden. This is their last ride, although I would've figured that the failure of "play it safe" Hillary would've already been it.

Why would you care about nominal wages? You don't see the slowdown in the blue line, just as you'd expect it to increase?

I think most of us realize that presidents don't have a lot to do with the economy, but if you're trying to make the opposite claim *and* argue that Trump has been a positive, you'll have to explain A) what he's done specifically that would plausibly affect the numbers, B) why job growth is (inarguably) slowing down, and C) why wage growth has been so poor given apparently tight labor markets.

I see that nominal wages finally caught up to inflation adjusted thanks to a spike in 2019. I'm not making any argument in favor or against Trump; just making observations about the current economy - TIFWIW. And the current trade war hasn't effected unemployment or wage growth.

Wage growth is poor? GTFO Jack. Nominal wages are 5k above the trend that they were on when Trump took office.

One could argue that. Of course, the long-term trends preceding the "cutting regulations" would seem to show that the argument is baseless.

<31>

There's more jobs and wages are up.

That doesn't mean that Trump deserves any credit for it, but it means that thus far the trade wars haven't effected jobs and wage growth.

Back