Opinion Bill Maher please shut up

Bull$hit.. When I was in Maine, I saw your pick up truck and all the bumper stickers on it.

420 4 lyfe

"I'll be your best "Bud"

"Weed the People"
Well, my pickup is a different story. Thats a window into the soul.

hola Seano,

fuckin' A. good man, Seano. we've found a swath of mutual agreement.

excellent.

- IGIT
I got a 12 foot tall afghan/skunk out there right now.

She supports:

Abolishing the death penalty
$15/Hr MW
Free college
Closing nuclear power plants
Banning assault weapons
Medicare for all (taxing the top 5% to pay for it)
She's hardline pro-choice
Studying slave reparations

If you believe that someone who holds all those positions and no right-wing positions is a moderate, you must think the whole field is moderates and that Republicans are all extremists.

hi Jack V Savage,

all of which goes to prove one thing;

all ya gotta do is say "radical islamic terroism", and the right is just okie dokie with you - none of the other stuff matters any longer.

its ridiculous, but its also very funny.

- IGIT

I got a 12 foot tall afghan/skunk out there right now.

herro Seano,

i managed to cull 5 seeds from the last 2 ounce bag i purchased, and am growing them in my condo and out on my balcony.

i'm waiting, hoping, biding my time.

i hope one of them is a girl.

- IGIT

hi Jack V Savage,

all ya gotta do is say "radical islamic terroism", and the right is just okie dokie with you - none of the other stuff matters any longer.

- IGIT

It is funny. Because even the most red-baiting of faux-capitalist right wingers like Madmick would ultimately prefer a Stalinist to a liberal, and they would call the Stalinist, who wants to expropriate private business and collectivize private property, a more reasonable moderate because they also are bigoted toward minorities.

It's never been more obvious than now that the American right is 100% identity politics. That's it. There's nothing else - economic policy, principles of judicial restraint or limited government - holding them together.

It is funny. Because even the most red-baiting of faux-capitalist right wingers like Madmick would ultimately prefer a Stalinist to a liberal, and they would call the Stalinist, who wants to expropriate private business and collectivize private property, a more reasonable moderate because they also are bigoted toward minorities.

It's never been more obvious than now that the American right is 100% identity politics. That's it. There's nothing else - economic policy, principles of judicial restraint or limited government - holding them together.

herro Trotsky,

one nit to pick.

identity politics, plus cutting revenue whilst hitting the accelerator on spending.

so, two things.

*fistbump*

- IGIT

Hate to break it to you, but Biden is your only hope. Maher knows this.

Pretty sure you're right about this. I don't see a progressive dem beating Trump. They have no appeal to the center and those are the votes either side needs to win.

I think there's a little more to it. I think the perception of her being corruptible probably is an important part of the love she gets on RT, Breitbart, and Fox (and in turn from people who consume those sources uncritically).

one nit to pick.

identity politics, plus cutting revenue whilst hitting the accelerator on spending.

so, two things.

*fistbump*

At the voter level, it's pretty much all identity politics. Most Republican voters don't even agree with their fiscal policy. At the donor/pundit/politician level, the regressive changes to fiscal policy is the main thing.

I think there's a little more to it. I think the perception of her being corruptible probably is an important part of the love she gets on RT, Breitbart, and Fox (and in turn from people who consume those sources uncritically).

hi JVS,

i had a conversation about Mrs. Gabbard with one of the righties here who seem to love her - he went so far as to say that Mrs. Gabbard should run as a Republican.

i then pointed out what her policy positions were, and he actually said something along the lines of, "of course by then she'd drop all those bullshit stances".

i can't find the thread this exchange happened in, but it happened.

the right's embrace of Mrs. Gabbard on this forum is a source of endless hilarity for me.

- IGIT

Last edited:
I’m skeptical the OP is an accurate account of what Bill said (video please?) but the marijuana legalization idea is very popular with young voters and in general people don’t want to see others going to jail for possession of weed.

I think he’s right to say it’s a good issue for Dems and someone should adopt it. It shouldn’t be a priority issue but fuck it they have an election to win.

She supports:

Abolishing the death penalty
$15/Hr MW
Free college
Closing nuclear power plants
Banning assault weapons
Medicare for all (taxing the top 5% to pay for it)
She's hardline pro-choice
Studying slave reparations

If you believe that someone who holds all those positions and no right-wing positions is a moderate, you must think the whole field is moderates and that Republicans are all extremists.
LOL, pro-choice is now a "progressive" policy? Holy schmalzeballs, Jack, you're reaching hard. Guess you didn't have too many real policies to count. "Studying" slave reparations is another tickling . Booker has proposed them outright. Now that's a progressive approach. $15/hr Minimum Wage? The "Raise the Wage" act has 205 co-sponsors in the House, Jack, and there are 235 Democrats. A position endorsed by 87% of her party would strikes most as mainline. Not a fan of closing nuclear power plants, but that's not exactly the Green New Deal, is it, Jack? Understandable considering she's from Hawaii, too, after Fukushima.

Tulsi is pro-2nd Amendment. She doesn't support cuts to the military budget. She supports Trump on North Korea, and is also skeptical of the Iran nuclear deal. She favors Christian over Islamic immigrants. She doesn't support gender identity becoming a protected class, or any of that other nonsense. She holds numerous positions that are more in tune with the right.

Here's Tulsi on "Free College". It's definitely leftist, but not insane:
Tulsi has also supported legislation like the College for All Act, which would eliminate tuition and fees at four-year public colleges and universities for families that make up to $125,000 a year, and it would make community college tuition fee-free for everyone-- something that’s already practice in countries like Germany, Finland, Denmark, Iceland, Norway and Sweden. It would also help us to dramatically reduce crushing student loan debt for both our students and their parents by cutting all student loan interest rates for new borrowers in half; enabling existing borrowers to refinance their loans based on the interest rates available to new borrowers – less than 2 percent for federal loans made to undergraduates; and preventing the federal government from profiting off of the student loan program. She has also helped introduce legislation that was recently signed into law that would extend and expand higher education benefits for our veteran in the Forever GI Bill and supported legislation to assist refugees and people who are seeking asylum to help them get in state tuition rates, and open the door for new opportunities to them.
Elizabeth is pretty far left of Tulsi:

Warren

(P) Biden + (VP) Harris is the Democrat's strongest ticket, and you're just whining because Maher is a realist who actually wants to win elections instead of repeating the infantile tantrums that led to a schism and Trump in 2016.
Dude, Biden is not fit for office. He and Harris may look good on paper (a post-it note, really), but their records don't stand up to scrutiny and they can't handle debates.

Sanders/ Warren is the best ticket. Second best is Warren/ Sanders.
And if they work together it will be the best 1-2 the country has seen in my lifetime.

LOL, pro-choice is now a "progressive" policy?

Read the whole post. It's awesome.

Guess you didn't have too many real policies to count. "Studying" slave reparations is another tickling .

:) Is this a consistent position for you or just something you hold for this thread? Because I recall other candidates being called extremists for the exact same position.

Booker has proposed them outright. Now that's a progressive approach. $15/hr Minimum Wage? The "Raise the Wage" act has 205 co-sponsors in the House, Jack, and there are 235 Democrats. A position endorsed by 87% of her party would strikes most as mainline. Not a fan of closing nuclear power plants, but that's not exactly the Green New Deal, is it, Jack? Understandable considering she's from Hawaii, too, after Fukushima.

Yes, my position is that both right-wing nutters who think of Gabbard as uniquely moderate and left-wing nutters who think of her as a True Progressive are wrong. Her positions on issues are in line with the rest of the field. If she's a "reasonable moderate" by your definition, so is everyone else. If she's a True Progressive, by the definition of left-wing kooks, so is everyone else.

Tulsi is pro-2nd Amendment. She doesn't support cuts to the military budget. She supports Trump on North Korea, and is also skeptical of the Iran nuclear deal. She favors Christian over Islamic immigrants. She doesn't support gender identity becoming a protected class, or any of that other nonsense. She holds numerous positions that are more in tune with the right.

Pro-2nd Amendment is a mainstream Democratic position. Politico lists 17 candidates to the right of her on the military budget. "Supports Trump on North Korea" is meaningless. Here's Tulsi herself on the Iran deal:

President Trump’s decision to withdraw from the Iran Nuclear Deal dangerously increases the likelihood of war and undermines approaching talks with Kim Jong-un to denuclearize North Korea. While the Iran deal is far from perfect, Iran is in compliance and the deal is working by preventing Iran from acquiring a nuclear weapon and preventing an all-out war. The concerns regarding other issues like Iran’s missile program should be addressed outside of the existing nuclear deal.

“Breaking this commitment that the U.S. made to Iran and our allies will likely push Iran to restart its nuclear weapons program, increase the potential of war, and undermine critical negotiations to denuclearize North Korea – a country that already has nuclear weapons that threaten Hawai‘i and the United States. Due to President Trump’s actions today, there is no reason for North Korea’s Kim Jong-un to believe that the United States will abide by any agreement made with them to denuclearize North Korea. This short-sighted decision ruins already damaged U.S. global credibility, proving that the U.S. cannot be trusted to keep its promises.

https://gabbard.house.gov/civil-rights-equality

Discrimination on the basis of national origin, sexual orientation, disability, religious belief, gender, or race undermines core American principles of respect and individual freedom. Tulsi has cosponsored and strongly supported legislation like The Equality Act, which would add sex, sexual orientation, and gender identity to the list of protected classes under the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Fair Housing Act, and the Equal Credit Opportunity Act.

It's telling that you go there. Illustrates the point made by others ITT that right-wing voters don't really care about policy.

Elizabeth is pretty far left of Tulsi:

The positions you list are mostly ones that Gabbard also supports. And Warren's plan (framed as support for reparations) was also to study it. Again, there's no rational basis for your view here. Gabbard gets praised on RT, Breitbart and Fox, so you think she's a moderate. Other, more-serious candidates are attacked in those places so you think that they're extremists.

Dude, Biden is not fit for office. He and Harris may look good on paper (a post-it note, really), but their records don't stand up to scrutiny and they can't handle debates.

And if they work together it will be the best 1-2 the country has seen in my lifetime.
I have no become an effigy onto which all the radicals in this forum want to project their anger for simply defending Maher's rational, realistic point of view.

Biden is not only strongest against the field, crushing any of the rest by a nearly 2:1 margin, but he's strongest in GE head to heads against Trump:
  • +11.5 = Biden
  • +5.2 = Warren
  • +7.0 = Sanders
  • +4.2 = Harris
  • +2.0 = Buttgieg

R
Pro-2nd Amendment is a mainstream Democratic position. Politico lists 17 candidates to the right of her on the military budget. "Supports Trump on North Korea" is meaningless. Here's Tulsi herself on the Iran deal:
No, it really isn't in 2019. As per her comments on the Iran deal those came in 2019 like her sudden "awakening" regarding LGBT rights (akin to Clinton).
The positions you list are mostly ones that Gabbard also supports.
Nope. It's absurd to opine that Warren is closer to the center than Gabbard.

I'll take her actual record for the True Daily Double, Alex. We've been over this before with Harris. We can run all those same routes with Warren, if you like, because she is substantially left of Harris:
https://forums.sherdog.com/posts/148549205/

Biden would be ok, but he literally has massive age related decline. That's it. Forget the literal molesting of children's breasts on camera; hey, if you're "in," I guess Dems don't care about that... But yeah outside the molestation(s), he has (other) significant mental issues. The word "Biden" is not some thing that lives outside the man. "Biden" is that person, and he can't be President for 4-8 years because he doesn't have the faculties. THAT'S THAT.

Bernie or Tulsi should have got "The push" and now it's too late. They got Tulsi out of there early with their immoral corrupt asses so she couldn't get started.. They Bernied her early.
I agree. Guy is definitely losing his marbles. Trump I feel is as well. They're both at the age where they can't be sharp all the time. Haven't seen Bernie or Warren walk much lately, but they're both fairly old as well. But yeah Biden seems to be obviously losing his ability to keep things in order making many mistakes while talking and seemingly confused here and there.

I have no become an effigy onto which all the radicals in this forum want to project their anger for simply defending Maher's rational, realistic point of view.

Biden is not only strongest against the field, crushing any of the rest by a nearly 2:1 margin, but he's strongest in head to head:
  • +11.5 = Biden
  • +5.2 = Warren
  • +7.0 = Sanders
  • +4.2 = Harris
  • +2.0 = Buttgieg
I'm not projecting anything, just pointing out my opinion, bruh.
He is not fit for office. Hopefully it doesn't take the debates in the General for people to realize this.

Think for VP they'll get a southern Democrat or one from the important swing states of Ohio or Pennsylvania.

I don't know why anyone thinks Biden can't handle debates. He's pretty much absorbed/deflected all attacks on him, and stays cool under pressure. I haven't really seen a moment of real weakness from him.

Harris is way too emotional though. Can dish it out, but can't take it at all. I've never seen a candidate so visibly flustered after Tulsi eviscerated her. Even Jeb took his medicine better than her.

Back