Bill Burr appreciation thread

I lost respect for him, he didn't hurt my feelings, those are different things. He didn't invite Anthony to a Patrice benefit over some shit Patrice wouldn't have cared about because he didn't want to upset certain club owners.

That's a total political bitch move.
obviously your feelings are still very hurt, not sure time will heal this wound

Watching his Red Rocks special right now.

10 minutes in and turned it off, not good.

Last edited:
I tried watching Red Rocks but I couldn't continue after he goes to lengths to say he's anti woke then next breathe he goes woke himself.

Bill Burr pre covid was really good. Post covid Burr really sucks

I really like Burr but the new Netflix thing where he introduces comics is just brutal. Burr is bad as are a couple of others.

Kevin Hart is trash IMO

He fell off really hard.

He’s someone who is goofy but not funny-funny.

I enjoyed his first 2 big specials, after that, no mas.

I found his past few specials not as funny. I preferred angry complaining high blood pressure Burr.

His latest special might be the worst special that a top tier comedian has ever put out. And I mean the special was bad, not his material. He peaked with You People Are All the Same and then I'm Sorry You Feel That Way was still fantastic. But this one, the material wasn't the greatest but it could've been a million times better if he picked a different venue with a better crowd. The show itself was just fucking awful. Leaving aside the horrible direction - how many fucking times did we need to cut to the shot behind Burr DIRECTLY INTO THE SPOTLIGHT! - the crowd was the worst crowd of any special that I've ever seen. Every beat of silence, no matter how brief, no matter how into a story, at least 4 or 5 morons would "Woo!" or "Love you!" or do some other obnoxious thing from the peanut gallery. It was awful. Burr even had to address it in the middle of the special - he tried doing the comedian thing of acknowledging it and trying to riff on it, but he was like a teacher losing control of his classroom but instead of telling the rowdy kids to sit down and shut up he just kept trying to go on with his material pretending it wasn't happening. The bits were intolerable because the audience CLEARLY wasn't paying attention. Why he decided to film and put out that performance when he toured the entire fucking country and had his pick of the litter, I have no idea, but it was an absolutely dreadful special.

His latest special might be the worst special that a top tier comedian has ever put out. And I mean the special was bad, not his material. He peaked with You People Are All the Same and then I'm Sorry You Feel That Way was still fantastic. But this one, the material wasn't the greatest but it could've been a million times better if he picked a different venue with a better crowd. The show itself was just fucking awful. Leaving aside the horrible direction - how many fucking times did we need to cut to the shot behind Burr DIRECTLY INTO THE SPOTLIGHT! - the crowd was the worst crowd of any special that I've ever seen. Every beat of silence, no matter how brief, no matter how into a story, at least 4 or 5 morons would "Woo!" or "Love you!" or do some other obnoxious thing from the peanut gallery. It was awful. Burr even had to address it in the middle of the special - he tried doing the comedian thing of acknowledging it and trying to riff on it, but he was like a teacher losing control of his classroom but instead of telling the rowdy kids to sit down and shut up he just kept trying to go on with his material pretending it wasn't happening. The bits were intolerable because the audience CLEARLY wasn't paying attention. Why he decided to film and put out that performance when he toured the entire fucking country and had his pick of the litter, I have no idea, but it was an absolutely dreadful special.

Wow that sucks. I already thought his last one was just ok. Not his best material. Had this on my watchlist. So far Shane Gillis has released the best special I’ve seen in a while.

Theo vons was so bad it’s hard to believe he makes money doing comedy.

Wow that sucks. I already thought his last one was just ok. Not his best material. Had this on my watchlist. So far Shane Gillis has released the best special I’ve seen in a while.

Theo vons was so bad it’s hard to believe he makes money doing comedy.

The new guys are the ones who've released the best specials of late, and on YouTube to boot. Andrew Schulz, Mark Normand, Sam Morril, Joe List, Yannis Pappas, and Shane Gillis. Team NY has been coming hard of late while the older LA crowd - of which Burr is a part - seems to be stagnant.

I saw morril a couple of weeks ago. really good and one of my favorite current comics.

going to see burr in September so not watching his latest special as imagine the material is the same.

The new guys are the ones who've released the best specials of late, and on YouTube to boot. Andrew Schulz, Mark Normand, Sam Morril, Joe List, Yannis Pappas, and Shane Gillis. Team NY has been coming hard of late while the older LA crowd - of which Burr is a part - seems to be stagnant.

Didn’t know mark released one I’ll have to check that out.

Didn’t know mark released one I’ll have to check that out.

Out to Lunch on YouTube. 10M views and counting. He was one of the first guys to have major success releasing a special on YouTube.

Went through a phase of Bill Burr 10 or so years ago and thought he was great, but I haven't been paying attention to him lately. I looked at some clips of F is for Family when it came out and didn't think it was that good. We all have our primes

I saw morril a couple of weeks ago. really good and one of my favorite current comics.

His YouTube special is great as is the short Letterman thing he did for Netflix. And it's so awesome that he and Normand have a podcast together. I love the way that both of their brains work, just pure joke guys with keen observational eyes. When I listen to their podcast, their banter will sound so uncannily like Seinfeld dialogue that I can't believe my ears.

"You gotta work to the 'Bye'" would fit so perfectly in a Seinfeld episode, I just love their exchanges like that.

red rocks was great

burr is still king of the game

Ol' Billy Fence Sitter. Yeah, he's sliding out of touch, but I can't bring myself to dislike him. All he ever wanted was to hit the mainstream and now he's done it, so he can peddle this middling material to the NPCs, he's earned it.

I will say, though, while I think his actual material peaked somewhere between 2014-2016, all his technical skills are the highest right now. Stage presence, movements, acting, body language, etc. - strictly technically, he's a true pro. There's still greatness in him. Maybe he'll hit another prime later on, comedians sometimes do.
Every beat of silence, no matter how brief, no matter how into a story, at least 4 or 5 morons would "Woo!" or "Love you!" or do some other obnoxious thing from the peanut gallery. It was awful. Burr even had to address it in the middle of the special - he tried doing the comedian thing of acknowledging it and trying to riff on it, but he was like a teacher losing control of his classroom but instead of telling the rowdy kids to sit down and shut up he just kept trying to go on with his material pretending it wasn't happening. The bits were intolerable because the audience CLEARLY wasn't paying attention.
That's the clapping seals audience you get when you go full blown mainstream. They're just there cause he's somebody famous. Time for Bill to start doing arenas to keep the animals further away.

Last edited:
Back