Bill and Melinda Gates on income inequality

The system is pretty messed up when the top 1% keep sucking in like a blackhole, the money from the rest at a faster rate every year.

When pointed out that something is very wrong "we may or may not give something back"

Kind people.

Governments haven't conquered poverty so I'm not sure philanthropy could be expected to. At least with philanthropy you've got a better chance the money is going to a good cause rather than war or graft of some sort. :)

But if people want to tax the shit out of billionaires I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

When pointed out that something is very wrong "we may or may not give something back"

Kind people.

Fully agree. The two of them are pretty amazing.

The system is pretty messed up when the top 1% keep sucking in like a blackhole, the money from the rest at a faster rate every year.

Doesn't this mean the problem should be fixed at the government level, through taxation as opposed to philanthropy?

Kind people.

I have mixed feelings about Gates. Absurdly rich on 1 hand, but actually invented and developed something that benefits most of the world. Does do a lot of philantropy.

But has been guilty of trying to monopolize the market. New Microsoft editions is getting ridiculous. I like Word 7 just fine.

I don't think it's really a spin on trickle down economics. It's not Bill's problem that 50% of all wealth is/will be held by 1% of people. He could have just said, "How is that my fucking problem?"

Edit: I'm not saying it isn't a problem. I'm just saying Bill Gates probably doesn't care.

I have mixed feelings about Gates. Absurdly rich on 1 hand, but actually invented and developed something that benefits most of the world. Does do a lot of philantropy.

But has been guilty of trying to monopolize the market. New Microsoft editions is getting ridiculous. I like Word 7 just fine.

What do you think Bill Gates invented?

Governments haven't conquered poverty so I'm not sure philanthropy could be expected to. At least with philanthropy you've got a better chance the money is going to a good cause rather than war or graft of some sort. :)

But if people want to tax the shit out of billionaires I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

LOL, most charities are just scams

LOL, most charities are just scams

I'm sure a lot of them are but the ones that aren't scams will have a bigger incentive of making sure their donations are actually going to the individuals its meant to. Governments consistently fail at this.

If all billionaires were like Bill Gates, then he would have a point. Unfortunately, that is not the case.

Why am I not surprised that his example centered around feeding children into the college system, as if it's still some sort of guaranteed ticket to prosperity. Most graduates I know are in debt. But I digress.

Philanthropy won't fix the social system or the inequality.

Why am I not surprised that his example centered around feeding children into the college system, as if it's still some sort of guaranteed ticket to prosperity. Most graduates I know are in debt. But I digress.

Philanthropy won't fix the social system or the inequality.

If everyone has a degree then the separation and differentation between potential candidates doesn't exist. Everyone having degrees doesn't create more high paying jobs unless you teach at a university, just more debt.

If everyone is special then no-one is.

Philanthropy works if you donate large amounts, but most rich people i doubt donate even 1% of their income. Gates is one of the few exceptions to this

Nobody is stopping Bill Gates from giving all of his money away.

bono-bill-gates.jpg

Philanthropy works if you donate large amounts, but most rich people i doubt donate even 1% of their income. Gates is one of the few exceptions to this

The rich also pay most of the taxes. The rich also provide the jobs that employ those who aren't too lazy to just collect a check Uncle Sam.

What's the government do again? Choke people to death trying to make a buck selling a cigarette.

If everyone has a degree then the separation and differentation between potential candidates doesn't exist. Everyone having degrees doesn't create more high paying jobs unless you teach at a university, just more debt.

If everyone is special then no-one is.

Assuming that getting an education has no actual benefit to your personal productivity.

I'm sure a lot of them are but the ones that aren't scams will have a bigger incentive of making sure their donations are actually going to the individuals its meant to. Governments consistently fail at this.

Yeah, more or less. Thanks.

What exactly did Bill Gates invent?

Most americans are in debt, college or not. Across all age groups there are major earning gaps between people with even just some college (i.e. less than an associates) versus those with only a HS diploma. Among "millennials" the gap is even more pronounced. That gap grows with each step up in level of education (PhD vs Professional being the only exception).

That's not a guarantee of prosperity but it isn't really arguable. With even just some college you will likely make far more than you would with no college.

Back