Biking.

Freestyler

Purple Belt
Reaction score
With the weather getting nice, I've been thinking about biking to school. It's a good distance, but I'd defianately warm up and get used to the distance before I just ride my bike some crazy amount of miles. My big question is, wow can I get a decent cheap bike? All my bike stores around here are pretty expensive. I've been thinking about hitting up some garage sales soon when it gets warmer. Also, reccomendations? What to look at for... What to expect. What not to do...

Ive always liked Mountain Bikes....E-Bay....Craigslist?

craigslist for sure. do you want a mountain bike or a road bike? if you're commuting to school, i would suggest a nice lightweight road bike.

i myself am an avid mountain biker, and i can't wait for the warm weather so i can hit the trails!

Preferably a road bike. My dad did some triathlons when he was my age and was talking about how fun they are. I wouldnt mind maybe getting in type shape this summer and trying one.

craigslist for sure. do you want a mountain bike or a road bike? if you're commuting to school, i would suggest a nice lightweight road bike.

i myself am an avid mountain biker, and i can't wait for the warm weather so i can hit the trails!
Isnt it always warm out that way?!:D

yeah man!

I'm going to bike to work this summer and hopfully will get fitter and even though i'll have to buy gym membership (to shower near my work) I'll save that and more in gas money.

I've got a mounain bike and i think i'm just tighted the shock and get road/mud tires.

i think your best bet is to go on the various websites like ebay, craig's list, etc. and you look for a road or touring bike that's older, with downtube shifters and that kind of stuff.

now, in a perfect world, you'd be spending 1k+ for a decent first rig with all up to date components, but if you want a solid, good, and cheap, bike, especially for commuting, you want something that's 10+ years old prolly. don't even worry abou tthe age thing. most of these bikes were awesome and still are, and most will have a grand total of like 5 miles on them. and, added bonus, it's easy to find a bike with a nice lugged steel frame from them, whereas you'd spend and arms and a leg for a new one.

pm me if you want me to search around and find some good deals, and also feel free to pm me with stuff you find if you want someone experienced's opinion.

Yeah, I'll defianately be sending you a PM soon(It was 46 today... warmer). My dad had a road bike from the 70's and sold it 3 years ago at his garage sale. It worked perfectly fine and was decently light. My buddy's dad, just bought a 4500 all carbon fiber one and its cool, but 4500?!

I'd suggest looking at Giant, Jamis or Felt if you're looking for a reasonably priced, but well equipped new bike. Obviously, you'll get a better deal on a used bike, but you should know exactly what you want in terms of components etc. because there won't be a lot of support if you go that route.

Ebay is a decent option, but remember, you're going to have to pay shipping charges, which could be as much as 120+ due to the size (not neccesarily the weight) of a complete bike.

Shipping for my frame and fork from NY to MA was like 60$ from a retail store. I would assume they have a UPS account, a person selling their bike may not, and so shipping via UPS will cost more. But my frame and fork weighed less than the box and packing materials it was shipped in. I'd say go to a bike shop and ask about something that is one or a few years old that they're trying to clear out. If you have any questions feel free to send me a pm. my dad got me into cycling (road) back when I was like 12. I finished building up my dream bike last summer, so I've got a pretty good idea of what things should cost and how well they perform etc. etc.

Man, my roommate got this bike for his birthday last year, and it was absolutely AMAZING. The frame weighs something ridiculous like 12 lbs, it's all carbon fiber, and his cycling team shit themselves when he took it to ride with them for the first time. lol

the bike i have is just a cheap one from wall-mart it was like 100 bucks but for just rideing around town its great if you where looking to hard core trail ride or some thing you might need a more expensive one but just rideing to work/school it works fine

Man, my roommate got this bike for his birthday last year, and it was absolutely AMAZING. The frame weighs something ridiculous like 12 lbs, it's all carbon fiber, and his cycling team shit themselves when he took it to ride with them for the first time. lol
believe it or not, a good road frame weighs more like 2-3 pounds, and some of the lightest bikes weigh around 12 pounds.

something i did not see mentioned here is bike fit. this is the most critical element of your planned purchase. the best bike in the world can cause injury if it does not fit properly. for that reason alone, i would recomend going to an lbs (local bike shop) and buying a basic model that fits well, rather than venturing into the world of ebay and craigslist when you dont really know what fits you. short of that, at least check out some bike fit info such as those shown here >>> http://www.cyclemetrics.com/Pages/FitLinks/bike_fit_links.htm

something i did not see mentioned here is bike fit. this is the most critical element of your planned purchase. the best bike in the world can cause injury if it does not fit properly. for that reason alone, i would recomend going to an lbs (local bike shop) and buying a basic model that fits well, rather than venturing into the world of ebay and craigslist when you dont really know what fits you. short of that, at least check out some bike fit info such as those shown here >>> http://www.cyclemetrics.com/Pages/FitLinks/bike_fit_links.htm
Im just trying to ride my bike to school. I might be ignorant on what injuries are possible, but how many people have honestly gotten fitted for a bike? If I got real serious and attempted a triathlon, then it'd be something to think about I guess. Again, if Im just being really ignorant, say so.

anyone who has purchased a bicycle from a decent lbs has been fitted for a bike, andyone who takes their conditioning seriously and uses a bicycle as a large part of thier training program has been fitted. the possible injuries range from erectile dysfuntion caused by a poorly adjusted, poorly fitted seat, to carpal tunnel syndrom from improperly adjusted reach and handlebar ergonomics, to tendon and ligament damage in the knees (due mostly to poorly adjust "clipless" pedal and shoe combination that you wont have to worry about for jus riding to school.

I dont want erectile dysfunction... at all. Im only looking to spend a couple hundred, could I do that at a bike store?

This is true...bike fitting is absolutely necessary...but beware...if there is only an XL left and you think you need a Large..the guy at the LBS will say anything to make you buy the XL.

As both a downhiller and an avid XC rider I can tell you that you will either feel it or you won't. You might go through several manufacturers before you find the right bike...

As a conditioning tool this is really important...

hmm... seems to be more mountain bikers here than i thought...

anyway, yes, you should be able to something basic from an lbs in the 200-300 dollar range.

i may be taking this a little too seriously, cycling is a passion of mine, and you just want to ride to school. make sure when you sit on the bike, your butt contacts the same way as sitting (back straight) on a curb, and that the seat is level.

hmm... seems to be more mountain bikers here than i thought...

anyway, yes, you should be able to something basic from an lbs in the 200-300 dollar range.

i may be taking this a little too seriously, cycling is a passion of mine, and you just want to ride to school. make sure when you sit on the bike, your butt contacts the same way as sitting (back straight) on a curb, and that the seat is level.
Alright thank you. Real quick question, what is a lbs? Obviously a bike shop but whats it mean?

local
bike
shop

Back