Bike/Triathlon vs MMA shape debate.

• Thread starter Deleted member 359865
  • Start date
Triathlon shape is not fight shape, you carry significantly more muscle during a fight. Triathlon shape is still excellent shape, but you can carry more abdominal fat if you want, and less muscle overall. Theres a different between cardio conditioning and muscular conditioning to build muscle mass. Training is different as well.

(If we are equals) If i said that I was training for a marathon, while you were training mma for a champion level fight, who would be in better fight shape come fight day? Thats what Nate says in the conference when he mentions "who's sparring"? They are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT ANIMALS.

Fighting is EXPLOSIVE and using HIGH INTENSITY INTERVALS over 15-25 minutes.

Do you think training to run and bike and swim for 25 minutes is the same intensity? Just think it through before you post something.
swimming is really intense.

We gotta stop with this whole "Bike shape/Triathlon shape isn't fight shape" bull crap. Its ignorant to say that being in shape for a triathlon does not any benefit to a fighter who is already in MMA shape as it is. Training for high stamina endurance competitions help you work on pace, breathing patterns, and heart rate which come fight night make a huge difference in late rounds especially championship rounds in a 5 round fight.

McGregor vs Diaz: On top of that i have yet to see a Diaz brother gas in a fight so it really doesnt make sense as to why people are discrediting Nate Diaz's shape??

Bike shape/triathlon shape isn't fight shape, but that's not the same thing as saying that being in shape for a tri has no benefit.

Nate gassed against RDA.

For me personally, I typically do a fair amount of endurance athletics stuff, namely running and cycling. But I've always been surprised when doing stuff like playing soccer, how some people who don't run as much seem to have more energy than I do. The point is that it's a different type of output, more stop and go, and I think it might be a slightly different kind of fitness.
Nonetheless I think triathlon training sounds a whole lot better than what Mendes was coming in with.

I run 5k - 10k races a few times a year, mud runs, obstacle races.. finish in decent time averaging 7 minute miles.

I also coach my sons soccer team, 12 and under. Made the mistake of trying to play with them. 10 minutes in, I was in pain trying to catch breath from the amount of stop to sprint burst. Went from speed, to lazy jogs, to just walking trying to catch breath. Whole different animal from pace energy to explosive burst energy.

Has nothing to do with topic debate, in a 'dad can't keep up' mood of story telling.

Lol you're an idiot. Never trained.

My coach always told me. "That's nice that you can run a marathon" "But you'll be heaving because a marathon doesn't work your entire body".

We gotta stop with this whole "Bike shape/Triathlon shape isn't fight shape" bull crap. Its ignorant to say that being in shape for a triathlon does not any benefit to a fighter who is already in MMA shape as it is. Training for high stamina endurance competitions help you work on pace, breathing patterns, and heart rate which come fight night make a huge difference in late rounds especially championship rounds in a 5 round fight.

McGregor vs Diaz: On top of that i have yet to see a Diaz brother gas in a fight so it really doesnt make sense as to why people are discrediting Nate Diaz's shape??

It's not a bad idea for taller already very lean fighters as conditioning. If your as slim as the Diaz bros sure. If someone shorter for his weight class and muscular like GSP did it he would lose most his muscle and thus wresling strength. Or need to drop weight classes.

I think even the Diaz does it off-season for fun. He doesn't do it while training, it's way too time intensive.

The people do Tris laugh at Nick Diaz on their forums. In the ones where he has done well (like 3rd in age group) he was a professional athlete going against weekend warrior lawyers and accountants. In those races he was beat by 50 year old men and 40 year old women.

Lol you're an idiot. Never trained.

My coach always told me. "That's nice that you can run a marathon" "But you'll be heaving because a marathon doesn't work your entire body".
how the fuck you gonna tell me i never trained when I wrestled 6 years of my life you dweeb. Running long distances NEVER EVER hurt me when it came to keeping in shape for competition off season or not.

but if you were full time Muy Thai and added military shape you would be in shape for both no? Yet again someone else ignoring the fact that Diaz is in shape for both since his JOB is to fight, his hobbies are running triathlons
He isn't in shape for both as he isn't training at present. You can't replicate the sort of shape you'd be in after a full camp all year round. Running won't hurt, but there's no replacement to fight specific training

Heh, turns out cardio WAS a factor in this one...

Back