Biggest upset: Werdum subbing Fedor, or Fedor beating Werdum in rematch?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by CELS, Aug 4, 2015.

1. CELS

CELS Brown Belt

Let's assume Fedor fights Werdum for the UFC title.
    http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/8/4...bricio-werdum-wants-fedor-rematch-in-december

I don't know how many people gave Werdum a chance when he fought Fedor the first time. At that point, Fedor's 8 last victories were finished by KO or submission. His last decision was the legendary fight against Cro Cop. But I think even fewer people expect Fedor to have a chance if they fight again.

It might be the biggest upset in the UFC HW division if Fedor beats Werdum. I don't think it would happen, but I think it would be the biggest. Bigger than when JDS knocked out Cain, bigger than when Vitor beat Couture via freak injury, bigger than when Tim Sylvia became the champ.

Thoughts?

2. joeyjoejoe

joeyjoejoe Silver Belt

Fedor losing was the biggest upset in MMA's short history.

3. Skylako

Skylako Black Belt

In a small town full of people that hate me
    Werdum over Fedor

4. TheNinja

TheNinja Gold Belt

Werdum submitting Fedor would still be a bigger upset IMO. It was unheard to think Fedor could be beat at that point in time. Fedor was unbeaten and seemingly unstoppable. Werdum had just got run from the UFC a few years prior. His last wins were against guys that nobody really knew at that time or weren't that great.

Nowadays nobody at HW seems unbeatable though. Styles make fights and Fedor still possess the power to drop anyone.

5. manu1433

manu1433 Blue Belt

I think it would quite easily be Werdum over Fedor.

I don't think Fedor would be a huge underdog at all in a rematch.

Werdum probably isn't going to outstrike Fedor (even now) and I doubt Fedor would jump right into Werdum's guard after what happened last time.

6. epathebay

epathebay Green Belt

Werdum over Fedor

I was there, crowd was completely silent after the fight

7. Mr. Death

Mr. Death คนตายแล้ว

Fedor beating Werdum would not be an upset. Werdum might be the betting favorite, but it wouldn't be a huge upset. Certainly not the biggest in UFC HW history.

8. IDGETKTFO

IDGETKTFO White Belt

Fedor signing with UFC is bigger then any fight win or lose.

9. iGnP

iGnP Silver Belt

um, Fedor over Werdum and its not even close. Werdum caught Fedor in the first, it happens. Id still take Fedor to beat Werdum at that point in time at least 7/10 times.

But if Fedor comes out of retirement and beats the HW champ (that just destroyed the former champ who many considered 'unbeatable') that'll be a HUGE upset

10. CELS

CELS Brown Belt

Sure, but Werdum is now in his prime. He just beat Cain Velasquez, who some people were comparing to Fedor. I'm not saying Werdum is regarded as highly as Fedor was at the time, but Fedor is currently seen as a much smaller threat to the HW division now than Werdum was at the time.

Fedor hasn't fought since June 2012, three years ago.
    Fedor is 3-3 in his last 6 fights.
    All Fedor's recent losses were by stoppage.
    All Fedor's recent wins were against fighters who weren't even ranked as top 20.
    Fedor's last win against a credible opponent was 6 years ago, in 2009.

Fedor's stock is so low at this point. I don't know when you'd say Fedor was at his prime, but it's not the recent 5 years. Maybe it was 6, 7 or 8 years ago.

11. cumafish

cumafish Silver Belt

the 1st fight by a long shot.
    If they fight again, there is a conceivable chance he KO's Werdum.

12. TheNinja

TheNinja Gold Belt

I was there too. It was crazy wasn't it? Everyone who knew anything about MMA was just in shock. To get so worked up to see the best HW in the world and then see him get submitted in less than 2 minutes was just crazy!!
    I went and drowned my sorrows that evening. The only other thing that is even close to me was seeing CroCop get Crocopped.....but that was on TV and not live. I just stood in my living room and couldn't believe what just happenend.

13. CELS

CELS Brown Belt

I don't envy you.

I've been an MMA fan since 2004, I've followed the sport almost religiously since I started. I've actually never seen the Fedor vs Werdum fight. Someone spoiled the results and I was gutted, didn't feel like watching the fight at all. And I still haven't.

It's kind of dumb, I guess. But meh.

14. pick999

pick999 Silver Belt

well fedor outclassed werdum on feet 1st fight

15. mi4ko

mi4ko Green Belt

This. Also, the fact that Fedor knocked him down first and looked like he was on his way to another W and then it was over.

16. Karp

Karp Black Belt

Fedor losing to Werdum is the biggest upset in mma thus far.

17. Rvd Slmr

Rvd Slmr Silver Belt

It wasn't the biggest in terms of betting odds, but that was the most shocking and important for sure.

[​IMG]

18. BobbyD963

BobbyD963 Never reveal your sources. Platinum Member

Fedor tapping was/is more of an upset then Tyson vs Buster Douglas.

19. abs_maniac

abs_maniac Purple Belt

lol, he is the same age as fedor. let's not act like werdum is some spring chicken compared to fedor.

20. daniel san

daniel san Black Belt

If Fedor returns and depending on what his performance looks like in his first fight, I will either have Fedor as the favourite or Werdum. Had Fedor and Werdum rematched instantly, I would favour Fedor. Werdum's BJJ is lethal as f but that doesn't mean it wasn't a 1 in a million sub. Back then, Werdum's striking was still relatively poor and he would not be able to stand and trade with Fedor. Today, I'm not sure, he might be able to oustrike Fedor as his striking has improved and he has a size and reach advantage. If Fedor looks good in his return I would favour him to win but if he looks slow and pudgier than usual then I'd favour Werdum. I like Werdum but the Werdum hype is kind of ridiculous. I've been wrong many times but I really don't see him being able to beat JDS and he would probably struggle with Undereem. His striking is good but not comparable to elite strikers but it's good enough to beat someone like Cain who's a good striker that turns into great with the threat of takedowns.