Biggest Upset In A UFC Championship Fight?

No, Sera beating GSP is still the biggest upset. Barao was only #1 P4P in Dana's blurred vision.

TJ beating "P4P" Renan over 5 rounds or Serra tko-ing GSP.

TJ/Barao
Serra/GSP
Weidman/Silva
Forrest/Rampage

Those 4 come to mind, and that's how i rank them.

Serra's win was more shocking. TJ's win was much more impressive.

serra's win was a bigger upset, imo.

I knew TJ had the potential to give Barao a lot of trouble just because he was more athletic. I still thought barao would KO him, but I recognized TJ's athleticism as a distinct advantage (his only advantage, and I thought it would show in the wrestling and perhaps footwork. I never thought he would outstrike barao).

I gave serra literally no advantages in his fight with GSP. I thought serra might've had a better chin, but I could never tell. serra had only been finished once, and he was barely out. he was very fatigued and was caught with a wild spinning back fist, so I sorta gave him a pass. gsp had not been finished with strikes at the time.

I thought serra had the better bjj, but he was too short to make anything happen, especially in an mma fight. I figured it might only help serra never letting gsp mount him. I remember thinking gsp's top game would get the better of matt, with elbows and movement.

at the time, serra had never finished ANYBODY with strikes. his striking was just starting to come together. he rocked karo 2 years prior, but his striking didn't really look too special on TUF 4. it was the biggest mismatch I had ever seen in a title fight (arlovski/eilers might've been worse, I guess). and after watching that fight maybe 100 times, I am just so impressed with serra's performance. he came in ready to bang and looked great. it wasn't such a lucky shot; he fought gsp very very well right from the opening bell.

I would put GSP-Serra ahead for the reason that no one thought Serra would KO GSP. For them the route to victory was TD and grappling (which even though GSP wasnt known as a big wrestler at the time, was still seen as unlikely).

I kinda though TJ had a shot a feet with Barao (though I did not expect anything close to that

Serra easy

Dillashaw was at least top 10 and a much better fighter than Serra ever was

Biggest upset I have ever witnessed was Seth Petruzelli KOing Kimbo Slice.

Fuck no. Barao was a product of the Dana White hype machine

Urijah Faber x2
Michael MacDonald
Eddie Wineland
Scott Jorgensen
Bradd Pickett

Yeah. Hype machine.

It's absolutely not as big of an upset as GSP/Serra though. Serra was a washed up guy that beat a few other washed-up guys on a reality show to get his title shot, and beat a legitimate champion.

Urijah Faber x2
Michael MacDonald
Eddie Wineland
Scott Jorgensen
Bradd Pickett

Yeah. Hype machine.

It's absolutely not as big of an upset as GSP/Serra though. Serra was a washed up guy that beat a few other washed-up guys on a reality show to get his title shot, and beat a legitimate champion.

Who else after that?

After further consideration yes this is the biggest upset in ufc title history. Congratulations TJ, you earned it.
'MERICA!

I think so. Serra got a "lucky" shot and won, but everybody knew GSP was better. TJ dominated and you can't say Barao is better than him.

Nope, to me the #1 will always be GSP vs. Serra

This is a very close second though.

Not even close... this Dillashaw fight is a bigger upset. Dillashaw kicked the champs ass for 5 rounds. Serra got a good shot and quickly finished. Nobody saw either result coming but even fewer would have Dillashaw owning Barao standing for 5 rounds.

I'm kind of with you TS. I wouldn't pick yes though. By the numbers apparently (according to post fight conference) it tied GSP-Serra at 8.5-1 odds, so TECHNICALLY it is tied for biggest upset. In terms of circumstance and significance, it still doesn't feel quite like Barao cemented his "future legend" status the way GSP sort of had by that point. I don't feel like this is as big an upset.

In terms of performance though, god damn it doesn't get more thorough than TJ tonight. That was on another level of ass-whoop delivery service to a reigning champion with a 30-some-odd win streak and (though most weren't saying #1 p4p like Dana) one of the best pound for pound in the world. I mean we knew Dillashaw was good but that wasn't expected. Serra was sort of viewed as less good overall I think. He was sort of a sacrificial lamb, Dillashaw was a serious contender who most figured would not yet be ready for Barao.

Tl;DR - Tied for biggest at best, IMO.

Back